Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 13th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Dog lifting his leg in the house PLEASE HELP

Our approximately 2 year old rescue poodle x, Yogi, has taken to spraying all around the house. I think he knows he shouldnt, because he never does it when we are watching. We moved into this house about 6 weeks ago, Yogi has been with us for 6 months. We watch him as closely as we can, but the second we take our eyes off him, we start to find puddles in the corners, on the baseboards, on the corners of our beds etc. I can't have my eyes on him all the time, I have 4 small children to care for!..it doesn't seem to matter how much time he spends outside, as soon as no one is looking, Yogi is spraying. I've resorted to those belly band diapers for dogs, and he doesn't even care, he just pees in them too. we are waiting for the humane society to follow through and neuter him, but what do we do in the mean time? Or if neutering him doesnt work? I really need to get this figured out, because he is a great little dog, but my husband is not going to let me keep him if it means committing to 13 years of diapers.
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

You'll need to buy some urine odor removal and clean up all the spots and try to keep your dog in only one room . It may be a god idea to see if he has an urine infection or he could be smelling another dog or cat pee and think it's 0K to pee in the house. It may be stress to for moving around a lot. A visit to vet would not hurt to see if the dog has any health issues .When I brought my dog home he smelled my coat and must had smelled my last dog's odor on it and lift his leg and tried to pee on my coat. Marty was neutered when he was 2 yo at the shelter.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:14 AM

I have a strong vinegar/citrus solution that I spray on all his chosen spots, is that okay to use? I know it is marking, not just relieving himself, because he never poops inside. It is just so frustrating. I don't want to give up on him, but it is hard to defend him when he has completely destroyed our box spring and bedroom carpet. I have been putting a sort of wrap around diaper on him, and that doesn't even deter him, it is always wet an he just doesn't care!
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you taken your dog to vet to rule out an urine infection or any see if there is anything else going on with his health? Enzymes Cleaners are the best to use as they remove odor , not just cover it up.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM

Yes. He is perfectly healthy.
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Did you have him x rayed to see if he has bladder stones?
Old August 21st, 2013, 06:35 PM

One of my guys does the same thing. The only suggestion that I have received that seems to work is to crate him when he's not with me, or at least limit him to a room with no carpet. I bought a fence for when I'm out of the house that keeps him (and the rest of the gang) in two rooms. At first I was letting him have the run of the house once I got home but he would go spraying elsewhere if I didn't watch so now the fence stays up all the time.
Old September 8th, 2013, 12:37 PM

Yogi has been neutered now earlier this week. We have been keeping him confined to the living room/kitchen areas, and we do crate him at night and when we go out. He has always been crate trained-he feels more comfortable there after it gets dark. He did have one incident the other day, but I have noticed that he needs to spend a longer time outside-our old female, echo, just goes out, does her business and comes in, but Yogi likes to divide his up and go several times around the yard. I'm hoping if he has more time outside each time, and if we watch him closely for cues that he needs to go out, and continue to confine him to only one area of the house, he will stop going indoors. My husband has given him until the end of the month, then we will have to rehome him
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

That what male dogs do , they're marking their territory . The first night Marty was here he smelled my winter coat then lift his leg and tried to pee on it and peed on the rug! Marty smelled my last dog who was a male and was marking his territory in the house. Marty does the same outside ,he have to pee on any object that been peed on by another dog. And something Marty will want to taste another dog pee!!
I would let your dog pee a few times before bring back in the house before bed time . Then way he will not have an accident at night.
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:49 PM

He just peed on my matress. I had been keeping him confined to the living room and kitchen, which seemed to be working, but he escaped-jumped over the gate- and went directly to my room and sprayed. We keep him kenneled at night. These are not accidents. He is not sick. He has been neutered since last Tuesday. we used that special enzyme treatment to get all smells out. He asked to go out-after he already sprayed in my room. He has 3 weeks left. I don't want to give him up, but if he doesn't stop, I have no choice. What else can I do???
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

It sound like he is being very territorial . I was reading a very interesting book called 'My Animal Myself' by Marta Williams , is about how are pets will mirrors their owners . Williams believe a dog will mirror their owner and there was one story about cat that bonded with the male owner more than the female owner and whenever the couple had a disagreement the pet would pee on the woman while she was in bed. Its' hard to know what is going in your house but your dog could be jealous of one of you and it trying to let you know in his doggie way. I think you should find a good dog behaviorist and have them go to your house to watch want is going between the dog and everyone that live in the house. My dog , Marty peed in my bed right after my next door neighbor had a male staying with them. Marty was marking his territory which happen to me My bed. You're sure your dog has no urine infection or kidneys infection?

Last edited by Barkingdog; September 11th, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:11 AM

Yes he is healthy. Now that you mention it, he is very bonded to me, and pees mostly on the bottom corner of my husbands side. It is very possible he is jealous of my husband and trying to mark the bed as his, although he doesn't sleep in the bed-he is crated at night. Unfortunately we don't have any animal behaviorists where we live. I think I will start working on teaching him to be submissive I guess?
Old September 11th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe your husband and dog should spend some male to male time together and your husband tell your dog he the man of the house.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you take him for leash walks at night? Let him mark a lot of objects. Let hubby take him as well. I had a dog that occasionally peed on things, it was usually coats that people hung on the backs of chairs. Never mine though......My Manchester was my shadow. He was weary of everyone else.
Old September 12th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Can you take him for leash walks at night? Let him mark a lot of objects. Let hubby take him as well. I had a dog that occasionally peed on things, it was usually coats that people hung on the backs of chairs. Never mine though......My Manchester was my shadow. He was weary of everyone else.
That is just want my dog , Marty did , he tried to pee on my coat that was on a chair. I think the dog needs to spend more alone with the husband so the two can bond better.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:19 AM

I have been walking him every morning, and trying to teach him that he can only walk beside or behind me. We also have segregated him to only the upstairs, and no bedrooms. He is no longer allowed to get up on the furniture. He is not allowed to jump up. He only gets fed, petted, etc, after he sits. He is not allowed to enter the house or any room first. When he pees outside he gets a lot of positive reinforcement. It seems to be helping, he has not peed in the house since the 10th. I will talk to my husband about taking Yogi for daily walks.
Old September 14th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwind View Post
I have been walking him every morning, and trying to teach him that he can only walk beside or behind me. We also have segregated him to only the upstairs, and no bedrooms. He is no longer allowed to get up on the furniture. He is not allowed to jump up. He only gets fed, petted, etc, after he sits. He is not allowed to enter the house or any room first. When he pees outside he gets a lot of positive reinforcement. It seems to be helping, he has not peed in the house since the 10th. I will talk to my husband about taking Yogi for daily walks.
That is good news about not peeing in the house for 4 days. I guess he is learning who wear the pants in the house. I find poodles to be very strong minded intelligent dogs and they will test their owners to see how much they can get away with.
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM

Yay! Today is one week since he last marked inside I'm so happy that Yogi is doing so well and we will be able to keep him with us! Yesterday, I took the dogs out to the beach. I don't think Yogi has ever been- he didn't know what to think of the ocean waves! It was so funny watching him bend to sniff the water and then jump back in surprise when the waves lapped up to his nose and feet!
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwind View Post
Yay! Today is one week since he last marked inside I'm so happy that Yogi is doing so well and we will be able to keep him with us! Yesterday, I took the dogs out to the beach. I don't think Yogi has ever been- he didn't know what to think of the ocean waves! It was so funny watching him bend to sniff the water and then jump back in surprise when the waves lapped up to his nose and feet!
Yay for Yogi! I am glad to hear it's working out , it does take time for a dog to get use to a new home and surrounding . The first time I took my last dog to the beach Finlay flipped out when he saw all the sand and drove right into it like a little kid. And he was surprise about the waves too. I bet you feel a lot better now knowing you can keep Yogi.