Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 19th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Does anyone have a cat who was diagnosed with Pancreatitis?

My sisters cat, who is 14 years old, was diagnosed with Pancreatitis last week. He was brought in because my sister noticed that he wasn't eating and was vomiting yellow bile. The vet did blood tests, gave him an antibiotic shot and was put on anti-nausea and appetite stimulant meds. He stayed at the vets for 2 days.

I've read a few sites about this, but they don't give too much information as to what to feed him. One says a low fat and high in fiber food and another says just an easily digestable low fat food.

So if anyone here has an animal who is diagnosed with this disease, what food do you recommend that my sister get for her cat. At first my sister had to force feed Tux with a canned food that the vet gave her but he didn't take to it too well, so she got him some Friskies and mixed it with Gerbers Chicken Broth and he did better on that. She also has given him some tuna. Right now he is eating a little bit on his own and he is drinking a bit also.

So if anyone knows of a better Website about this disease that you can give me the link too or a good food that will help with this, I and my sister would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

My female Tabitha recently went through a bout of this as well. She was put on meds for 1 month and then rechecked..All came back fine after the recheck. My vet was not concerned about what she was eating. I feed canned. However I was also told that she needed to have potassium so she receives that as freqently as I can get it into her. Tabitha is 15.

good luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post
The vet did blood tests, gave him an antibiotic shot and was put on anti-nausea and appetite stimulant meds.
Any pain meds as part of the protocol? Pain management is probably the most important aspect of pancreatitis treatment.

Quote:
One says a low fat and high in fiber food and another says just an easily digestable low fat food.
Rather than low-fat, I think low-carb is more important. What was he eating when this happened?

Here's a good website to check out, particularly the quote below: http://www.felineoutreach.org/Education/Pancreas.html
While a low-fat diet seems to work best for dogs and humans with pancreatitis, there’s no scientific evidence to indicate the same for cats. However, some caregivers report that a lower-fat diet seems to benefit their cats. As carnivores, cats are most suited for a low-carbohydrate diet, and tolerate animal fats well. As pancreatitis occurs so often in conjunction with diabetes, and diabetic cats do best with an all-wet low-carbohydrate diet, and cats with pancreatic insufficiency do best on a low-fiber diet, it may be best to feed cats with pancreatitis a highly-digestible all-wet (canned or raw) low-carbohydrate/low-fiber diet. Monitor your cat to see what foods it seems willing to eat and seem to make it most comfortable.

Quote:
So if anyone knows of a better Website about this disease that you can give me the link too or a good food that will help with this,
Lots of people have success feeding some of the canned Merrick flavours to P'titis kitties. Grammy's Pot Pie and Cowboy Cookout in particular have moderate amounts of fat, good quality protein, and low carbohydrates.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Thank you so much Winston and Sugarcatmom for your response.

Winston thank you for the good luck. What meds was your cat given.

Sugarcatmom, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that he was given pain meds also.
My sister gives her cats canned food during the day, Friskies and Whiskas and at night she puts out some dry food. I think it's called Happy Cats, or something like that. Those foods that you have mentioned, I've never heard of them before or seen them in any pet store here in Montreal.

Last edited by rg_girlca; December 20th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old December 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Sugarcatmom, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that he was given pain meds also.
Good to hear! Too many vets overlook that part. Do you happen to know what the pain meds were?

Quote:
My sister gives her cats canned food during the day, not the best though, Friskies and Whiskas and at night she puts out some dry food. I think it's called Happy Cats, or something like that.
Friskies and Whiskas is better than Happy Cat. Would be a really good idea for her to stop all kibble and feed only wet food. She can leave canned out for many hours if she's worried about her cat having snacks available.

Quote:
Those foods that you have mentioned, I've never heard of them before or seen them in any pet store here in Montreal.
Here is a store locator for Merrick that might help: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/locator/index.php

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 20th, 2010, 02:15 PM

My cat went through this a few years ago, one suggestion i can give until she gets better is splitting up the feedings more. If the kitty is being fed twice a day, split it up 3 or 4 times if possible for a while until she is feeling better. Smaller amounts are easier on the system to digest.
Also if she is not eating, simply get some jars of baby food, stage one, protein only no salt or anything else added. Split up into several feedings, easy for the kitty to absorb and digest. This only needs to be done for a few day, then can slowly be mixed back in with regular wet food, again smaller portions over the course of the day till her appetite comes back.
This along with the antibiotics, and keeping her on canned only helped, she hasnt had a reoccurence. Also yes it is better to go with a higher protein lower carb wet food, but again, keeping the fat % a bit lower is important too.