Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old January 6th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Homemade cookies are a hit!!

Made a batch of peanut butter ones a few days ago and wow, she loved them...enough that they won out over yelling at the neighbour's dog when she's out. They have to have a yelling contest whenever they can!! Even today the dog was coming home and that's prime yelling time and I said c'mon let's go get a cookie and zoom right in the house..gotta love it!! Today got a batch of beef and bacon ones in the oven, they smell really good too! Sooo easy, whole wheat flour a good dump of oatmeal, beef broth a touch of garlic, knead rollout cut, bake...I'm going to get a couple of sweet potatoes, they're HUGE here and dirt cheap and make some sweet potato cookies. Wasn't sure how Bayley would like them but I gave her a piece of raw the other night and she gobbled it up and wanted more. The dog treats are so expensive to buy.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

All sounds good and now im wanting some munchies.
Old January 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

new batch a hit as well!! Even traded her chewie for a cookie. Jeez I have some people cracker recipes so I just may have to try making my own people crackers!
Old January 6th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Made a batch of peanut butter ones a few days ago and wow, she loved them...enough that they won out over yelling at the neighbour's dog when she's out. They have to have a yelling contest whenever they can!! Even today the dog was coming home and that's prime yelling time and I said c'mon let's go get a cookie and zoom right in the house..gotta love it!! Today got a batch of beef and bacon ones in the oven, they smell really good too! Sooo easy, whole wheat flour a good dump of oatmeal, beef broth a touch of garlic, knead rollout cut, bake...I'm going to get a couple of sweet potatoes, they're HUGE here and dirt cheap and make some sweet potato cookies. Wasn't sure how Bayley would like them but I gave her a piece of raw the other night and she gobbled it up and wanted more. The dog treats are so expensive to buy.
Could you post the recipe , Marty loves peanut butter and yams. I wonder if rice flour would work ,I try not to give my dog a lot of wheat.

Last edited by Barkingdog; January 7th, 2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Oh yes having the recipe would be great.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:24 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Sure I used 3 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup of oatmeal, about 1/2 cup of peanut butter and enough water to make a dough you can roll out. Kneaded it well, let it rest, then rolled it out and cut into cookies. Bakes at 325 for about 30 minutes. The ones I made today, I used the same amount of flour and oatmeal, 1/4 cup or so bacon grease. We had bacon at breakfast so I just saved the grease from 4 slices. Then I had some Campbells 30% less sodium beef broth in the fridge, so I just added enough to make a stiff rollable dough, probably a cup and a half. Oh and about a tsp of garlic powder. I'm going to see if I can get some barley flour or some other type of flour at the bulk store. Oat flour is easy to make, just grind up oatmeal in a food processor. So I'm going to try that next, maybe with the sweet potatoes.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Thanks for thr recipe.
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Thanks for thr recipe.
Same here ,thanks for posting the recipe. I would have use oil as I do not eat bacon anymore . Would cooking oil be OK ?
Old January 7th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Sure I used 3 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup of oatmeal, about 1/2 cup of peanut butter and enough water to make a dough you can roll out. Kneaded it well, let it rest, then rolled it out and cut into cookies. Bakes at 325 for about 30 minutes. The ones I made today, I used the same amount of flour and oatmeal, 1/4 cup or so bacon grease. We had bacon at breakfast so I just saved the grease from 4 slices. Then I had some Campbells 30% less sodium beef broth in the fridge, so I just added enough to make a stiff rollable dough, probably a cup and a half. Oh and about a tsp of garlic powder. I'm going to see if I can get some barley flour or some other type of flour at the bulk store. Oat flour is easy to make, just grind up oatmeal in a food processor. So I'm going to try that next, maybe with the sweet potatoes.
Do you use quick or old fashion oatmeal? unsweetened apple juice may work in place of the water , how does that sound to you? Or I should say how does that sound to your pets? LOL!
Old January 7th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I used the quick oatmeal. I can't see why apple wouldn't work. I would be inclined to use olive oil. I stopped using canola a while back, couldn't stand the smell when it's cooking, switched to corn and no more smell but I wouldn't give it to Bayley. I don't think the oil is all that important. I don't use very much as I don't want greasy cookies. You could also use applesauce.

I've bought Northern Biscuits for Bayley but they've gotten too expensive but they've got alot of neat flavours. I'm thinking of doing some experimenting on flavours with fruit and stuff. I wouldn't mind getting into selling them, start my own little business