Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 25th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Adding a 2nd puppy (thinkin about it)

We're thinking off adding a 2nd puppy to the house.

Diamond being a female is it better to get a 2nd female? or a male?

(No worries she will be fixed as soon as she is able)

Around same age or older/younger?

As for breed we dont really care.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
We're thinking off adding a 2nd puppy to the house.

Diamond being a female is it better to get a 2nd female? or a male?

(No worries she will be fixed as soon as she is able)

Around same age or older/younger?

As for breed we dont really care.
I think you should get whatever the cats agree too Will make your life a lot easier in the house.

Sorry, no real doggie experience, so I don't have any suggestions.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

lol that is soooo true. or should i get a kitten??????
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Alot of people feel that if you have a female you should get a male. I have always had females and never had a problem with introducing a second female. That said, I have also always introduced a younger dog so that the older one maintained her dominant status and felt motherly towards the youngster.

When we got our second dog this go around we made sure that the older dog was completely trained and had all her obedience down before we did that. I didn't want to be trying to train two puppies at once.

That said, I didn't have as much time for the second puppy one on one and she is not as well trained!

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I'd go younger myself.

Just see the other posting about getting a cat, we've done that too! Kitten worked best, unless it's an older cat that is dog friendly and your dog has some cat exposure so it's not a cat hater.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

What sex you get depends on a couple of factors. Two of the most important being the temperments of the dogs involved. Another would be YOUR dog experience.

The other thing you need to remember is - puppies are a LOT of work.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL..

Were looking I guess at both. 1 or another.

seeing kittin pics makes me want a kitten

(older cats here wont be impressed but they will get over it Sid is great wth kittens Dusty well she is queen kitty & hisses at everything)

Diamond I think really needs a buddy. I think tho a puppy is better.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
What sex you get depends on a couple of factors. Two of the most important being the temperments of the dogs involved. Another would be YOUR dog experience.

The other thing you need to remember is - puppies are a LOT of work.

Umm yeah I know puppies are alot of work. Diamond is 3 1/2 months.

Dog experience always had 1 growing up. same as hubby. kids are teenagers.

Diamond begins Puppy Classes in Oct. & we will continue that for as long as they offer classes. (same with new puppy)
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:25 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

DM i don't think it really matters what sex you get, all 3 of mine are males, one neighbour has two females, other has one of each. Aslong as it's a happy loved little furball that's all that matters. If you look at alot of the members they have atleast one of each sex.
Old September 25th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
That said, I have also always introduced a younger dog so that the older one maintained her dominant status and felt motherly towards the youngster.

When we got our second dog this go around we made sure that the older dog was completely trained and had all her obedience down before we did that. I didn't want to be trying to train two puppies at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
What sex you get depends on a couple of factors. Two of the most important being the temperments of the dogs involved.
I agree with these statements. We have a three-dog house and all are female. Our oldest dog had to be THOROUGHLY trained and understood that WE were the boss of the house before we brought any other dogs into our home. Even then, the first introduction was a bit difficult...the second one was much easier.

Temperament is also key. Our oldest is an EXTREMELY dominant female. Having another extrememly dominant dog, male or female, would not have worked at all. Our second dog Jaida is extremely submissive. Our third dog is somewhere between...definitely more dominant than Jaida and although cheeky, ultimately defers to Gracie's dominance. We're lucky to have a good balance in personalities right now...I think it would be tricky at this point to add another dog, unless it was fairly Jaida-esqe in terms of submission.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Great info guys.. Some Q's tho..

Stupid Q.. but how do you know the puppy's temperment. when its a youngin?

I mean like with Diamond her personality/tempermeant is just showing now. IMHO.

If we get a younger puppy say 8wks old. its temperment may be quite different in our house then it would be @ shelter? no?

Breed specific? Stay with the Golden?

I personally prefer mixed breeds (Diamond was a chance buy)

Duke was a lab/rotti & his tempermeant was totally different that what we thought. (his mom was the lab & his dad was the rotti)

How do u bring in a new puppy meeting it/playing/introduce it to Diamond. All is great then suddenly this new puppy thinks its in charge and you end up with conflict?? Id hate to send it back. or having a constant seperation as they grow?

This isnt happening soon guys + we want to be 100% before we add to the family.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it's been 8 years now since we brought our puppy home, but we adopted her from the SPCA and we took Shadow with us when we went to look for a puppy. We actually got the dog from a petstore that adopts SPCA dogs out, so they had two pups from the same litter and we went into a playroom with Shadow and the two puppies. We let the three interact and just watched to see which puppy was more aggressive and which was laid back. How did they react with Shadow, and Shadow with them. Halo was picked as she was not overly pushy but not as shy as the other pup. If the puppy is really pushy with it's litter mates it may be super dominant and not be the best choice for a 2nd dog.

Ironically (and off topic) when we got Halo spayed at 6 months the other puppy was there the same day getting spayed. The people had adopted her the next day after us. Here's the twist, when the vet sent the dog home with my son later in the day they sent home the wrong black lab puppy! As soon as I got home we noticed it and took her back for the re-switcheroo.

Ultimately though, so much of a puppy's adult demeanour will depend on how well you socialize it and train it. I personally would wait until Diamond is a little older before adopting a puppy. She's still so young and not established in her own rights yet. Once Diamond is more mature she will be able to help the puppy to find her place in the pecking order. If the puppy tries to get too uppity the more senior dog will put the puppy in its place. But if Diamond isn't old enough to do that you could end up with trouble with them trying to figure it out. Just my
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Geek Club CEO

I agree about waiting until Diamond is older. There's really no rush, and pups need a lot of training and supervision (as you know)...being able to offer her undivided attention, and train her, and allow her to mature and socialize will only help you when you get your next dog. Also, having a trained older dog will help with training the youngun...they'll watch and learn from your well-behaved older dog, rather than feed off another rambunctious and naughty pup.

I also agree about bringing the older dog to meet the potential pups and watch how they interact. Keep in mind it may change a bit as time goes on, but like the PP said, you can tell a lot about their personality by the way they play with a new dog...are they pushy? Respond to correction by an older dog? Also, how do they react when you pick them up off the ground (relax, struggle, bite)? Do they come over willingly to meet you or do they stay off to the side and watch the action? How does it react to a sudden loud noise? There are lots of things to look for to give you an idea of the pup's basic personality. However, as mentioned by a PP, training and socialization (ie your job) also plays a role in the dog's overall behaviour in the long run.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Makes great sense.. tx DD & bendyfoot

When we have playdates with friends dogs/puppies.

she spends ALOT of time on her back showing her tummy, Will play but not rough at all. (I think she is shy?)

When we picked her out of the litter her & her bro were NOT as excited as the other puppys. kinda staying in the last row.

Old September 25th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Live well, laugh often

I'd say she is probably a fairly submissive dog from everything you have described to us here plus her reaction to loud noises etc. I personally like to have a male/female mix with my dogs. Tons of dogs get along great as the same gender but usually if you do experience any problems it is with two dogs the same gender.

I would really recommend waiting until at least next summer to get a playmate for Diamond. Believe it or not, these are probably the easiest times with a puppy .... the real tough stuff seems to come closer to six months up to about a year and a half or so (at least that has been my experience and is also the age a lot of dogs are given up).
Old September 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM

I think you should get a female dog and name it Crystal

Seriously though I think it's all dependent on what you think Diamond would go for. For me, if I get another dog it could be male or female because I have watched Maggie with both and she seems to get along with both. I agree in taking her into the shelter with you to see how she gets along with the potential new puppy. Most SPCAs seem to want a meeting with the other dog anyways to make sure it's a match made in heaven

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Mom of Cody and Nova

I also think it would be a good idea to wait until Diamond is older. It will give you a chance to work on her training, and get a solid idea of her temperament as she grows. It will make finding a second dog easier IMO as you will then know what type of personality, size/etc. she would get along with.

I've had two male dogs (neutered) living together. They got along with no problems because the resident older dog was dominant, and the younger one submissive. When I decided to get my new pup, I decided on getting a female for a few reasons. Cody has some toy and resource guarding issues, but with the introduction of a female puppy - he has shared with no problems. I knew it would be fine because he tends to be more aggressive over it with male dogs. Cody is more of a submissive dog but he holds his ground. My puppy Nova is very submissive, but not with Cody. She seems to be taking on a position above him, and he doesn't care because she is female. It's funny to see, but I think Nova will be boss of Cody and he'll let her get away with anything because shes his little sister

But in all truth, there is no way I could consider getting another puppy for a few years. Its been a lot of work, and continues to be. Border Collie puppies can be a bit challenging, too smart for their own good