Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2003, 06:25 PM

meg, how did your kittens do?

I well remember sitting on pins and needles the whole time each of my pets went through surgery, and reading your post brought back those memories.

With Fwirly, our dog, we had a pretty nerve racking experience. I had always had male dogs and neutering had always been simple surgery. But I was uptight about my little girl and had been dreading having her spayed. ( there was never any question of to spay or not to spay as I don't want litters, but the thought of her having to go through that ,you know)

Well, on the day of her surgery, we had to have her at the vet's at 8 AM, so hubby drove her in.
I called the vet at 8.05 AM to double check when the surgery was going to be and when I could call to see how she did.
I was told she would have her surgery first thing and I could call at 1 PM.
Well, they ended up having an emergency surgery that took all morning and part of the afternoon, so Fwirly could not have her surgery till after closing time that day.
I was soooo upset ! All I could think about was my little girl sitting in a cage without food or water , waiting and waiting.
As it turned out , she entertained everyone there, was quite happy and content, and was none worse for wear.
Me....I was another story ! I was a basket case !
The vet called me the minute it was over, apologized for the delay and assured me that Fwirly was fine.
We brought her home the next day, I was amazed at how neat the stitches were, far better than the ones I had after a surgery I had,lol.
Fwirly had no problems, she was happy go-lucky as always .

Now we are close to 6 months later, she's a year old now , a wonderful girl who is not going to be responsible for bringing a load of unwanted puppies into this world !
And I am happy that these type of surgeries only have to be done once!

Hope all is well, but trust it is!
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:52 PM

Thanks for asking about Buffy and Nutmeg.

Buffy came home with no intentions of resting or staying quiet . She wanted FOOD and was not happy that she was not allowed it for a few hours yet.

Nutmeg went to her bed and stayed there until I came home from a meeting I had tonight. My guys all said they didnt want to bother her. I was worried about fluid intake so made sure she got some and something to eat as well. She doesnt seem to be feeling so well. Tomorrow is another day so we shall see then.

We have had alot of pets during my marriage and growing up and everyone of them has been spayed/neutered. I would of loved seeing a batch orf animals being born but only if wanted. I am not one who would easily give up my pets babies. I am not able to afford a house full of pets so there will not be any babies in this home unless its a new one from elsewhere that we decided to adopt.

Will let everyone know how they are doing tomorrow. Thanks again.
Old June 17th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Your experience reminded me of my first two cats, Daisy and Lucy.
When they were spayed at 6 months of age, Daisy did fine. Other than walking a bit gingerly at first , it was hard to tell she had major surgery.
Lucy was another matter all together. She was on the couch, a little sad heap of cat . She was not really interested in getting off the couch for food or water, just wanted to lie there.
I made sure that there was delicious food for her ( pulled out all the stops and got her favorite wet food ) , I put it within reach, and also put some water within reach and then I left her be.
I did make sure their bowl movements started up ok again. The vet can tell you how long they can go without before they should have a bowl movement.
Surgery affects each cat differently. Each animal ( just like people ) also has a different tolerance for pain, and though they say pets don't experience pain the way we do, they do adjust to the amount of discomfort they feel. It may be that this little one is more uncomfortable than her sister.
If she's like this today still, then maybe a call to the vet to see if you can get a bit of pain meds might be warranted. Just to make her comfortable.
I would put food near her and see what she does, I would not force anything down as she will know best .
If you get worried, once again, a call to the vet will be the best thing to do.
Old June 17th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Well both seem to be doing ok today.

Buffy is eating and drinking well. Sleeping alot but that is expected. She almost seems herself, didnt really effect her.

Nutmeg is doing better. I woke to find her at the end of my bed by my feet. This is where she usually sleeps. She ate her breakfast and wandered about abit . She seems to be so much better today and is resting which is the best medicine of all.