Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 9th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Bunnicula

Peeing!

I have no idea where this has been coming from.

I have a 3 year old half beagle, and she on and off over the time we've had her just had issues with her bathroom stuff.

She all of a sudden (the last few months) seems to constantly just pee on the floor and in her kennel. She was an abused dog, so we are wary of not putting too much "punishment" with her and we try to praise her when she's doing the right thing.

She doesn't have any infections, we've had it checked out though.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
I have no idea where this has been coming from.

I have a 3 year old half beagle, and she on and off over the time we've had her just had issues with her bathroom stuff.

She all of a sudden (the last few months) seems to constantly just pee on the floor and in her kennel. She was an abused dog, so we are wary of not putting too much "punishment" with her and we try to praise her when she's doing the right thing.

She doesn't have any infections, we've had it checked out though.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Crestfallen,

Has anything changed in your home that may trigger a change in behaviour? Does she urinate on the floor and in her kennel when you are around? Does she urinate in one particular place?

I would recommend using the umbilical method. This method involves tying the dog's leash to you so she is with you at all times. This way, if she begins to urinate or you see her acting as if she is going to, you can immediately correct the behaviour and take her outside. You don't need to punish her to get results, you just need to be consistent. When she does eliminate in the appropriate area, make sure you give her oodles of praise! (Your neighbours may think you are nuts ). Reward her with a treat, a toy... whatever motivates her.

Dogs usually do not eliminate in their crates. How big is her crate? Sometimes when this happens, it means the crate is too big and needs to be made smaller. Some kennels come with dividers used for house-breaking and this may be helpful here if that is an option.

I would go back to house-training 101. Take her outside frequently, praise her lots when she does go outside, and try to correct her when you catch her eliminating inappropriately. It is pointless to "punish" a dog after the fact, you need to re-direct her when you catch her in the act to be effective.

What did you all have checked out at the vet? How is her water consumption? It could be possible that she has a disease which may be leading to increased urination, and contributing to her inappropriately eliminating in the house. Did the vet check for diabetes, kidney failure, pyometra, Cushing's disease etc.? I ask because when my youngest guy joined our family we noticed he was peeing all over the place. He also seemed to be drinking a fair bit of water. Turns out he had a UTI. Once he started antibiotics, he almost immediately quit peeing in the house.

Good luck!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 11th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Bunnicula

Thanks for the advise!

We just recently went to FT jobs. So we are away quite a bit, but she does get bathroom breaks. MOSTLY it is just at night though when she's sleeping.

She seems to peeing in her kennel often when she is sleeping. The vet originally thought she was incontinent, but turned out she just had some anal gland problems. But now FOR SURE she keeps peeing (different smell) in her kennel at night now.

Can a UTI lead to that? If it is a UTI is there any home remedies I can do/try. Our vet is just so gosh darned expensive.

We started leaving our pups in the bathroom because she doesn't seem to go on the floor in there.

Thanks again
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the advise!

We just recently went to FT jobs. So we are away quite a bit, but she does get bathroom breaks. MOSTLY it is just at night though when she's sleeping.

She seems to peeing in her kennel often when she is sleeping. The vet originally thought she was incontinent, but turned out she just had some anal gland problems. But now FOR SURE she keeps peeing (different smell) in her kennel at night now.

Can a UTI lead to that? If it is a UTI is there any home remedies I can do/try. Our vet is just so gosh darned expensive.

We started leaving our pups in the bathroom because she doesn't seem to go on the floor in there.

Thanks again
Crestfallen,

I'm really not sure if a UTI is the cause here or not. It's difficult to tell, as frequent, inappropriate urination can be caused by many different issues.

I'm not aware of any home remedies that are effective for a UTI. It may not even be that... that's unfortunate your vet is so expensive. Are there any other vets in the area that are cheaper? I drive to a rural vet clinic about 30 minutes from my house because they tend to be 10-50% cheaper than the clinics in town. Maybe look into different clinics and see what you can find out. My vet clinic was awesome with my big guy... she prescribed meds for the UTI, but said if they didn't work (she could not determine 100% that it was a UTI), she would take any remaining pills back and refund me the money.

I know when our big guy had a UTI it was an expensive vet trip, but it had to be done. It becomes expensive because they have to check for diabetes etc. and the antibiotic dosage rate is based on weight, and he's a big fella! But how big is your pup? A beagle should not weigh that much, so the meds shouldn't be too outrageous.

I would make a vet trip top priority. I would worry that if she does have an infection, if left untreated it could become much more serious. Are there any vet clinics near you that will work out a payment plan with you?

Oh! I just realized you are in Lethbridge too. What vet clinic are you currently using? There are quite a few in Lethbridge that are crazy expensive. I drive to the vet clinic in Fort Macleod and see Suzanne all the time and she is great! You may want to call them and see if they can be of any help! It's a bit of a drive out there, but it may save you some serious cash.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 12th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Bunnicula

We go to Park Place (mostly out of convenience) they've been really great. They've moved to the West side, so it's just a short walk. So I think as soon as they're open on the 16th I am going to make an appointment again anyway.

We've driven to Taber to the Taber Animal Clinic which is great, but it's difficult, we work really random and long hours.

I think I'll just ask for pills for a UTI without having to have her do the testing. Problem is the testing for it, is what is expensive.

UGH...she's been a huge problem for us. But I can't help but love her.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
We go to Park Place (mostly out of convenience) they've been really great. They've moved to the West side, so it's just a short walk. So I think as soon as they're open on the 16th I am going to make an appointment again anyway.

We've driven to Taber to the Taber Animal Clinic which is great, but it's difficult, we work really random and long hours.

I think I'll just ask for pills for a UTI without having to have her do the testing. Problem is the testing for it, is what is expensive.

UGH...she's been a huge problem for us. But I can't help but love her.
I am not sure if they will prescribe pills for a UTI without checking her first. I know it's expensive, but I would still do a full check up. You might spend money on the pills for a UTI and that may not be the problem... you could spend a lot of extra money for nothing.

But good luck! Keep us posted!