Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Bunnicula

Exclamation Eating too much bone causes diarreah

I bought my 2 year old one of those bones from Safeway. The ones that are huge! Because she goes through bones so fast. So she has had it for 4-5 days and has developed some pretty intense diarreah, so much so she yelps when she is pooping, like it burns which I know is the mucus just burning her bum. She's only around twenty lbs, so she's a little dog.

Are these bones bad for dogs?? It's been less than 12 hrs so I'm just waiting to see how she improves

thanks!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Doggie Wench

Are these rawhide bones or the large smoked real bones. One of our dogs used to eat the rawhide quickly and it caused him severe bloody diarrhea.. It expands when digested and can create blockage. I wouldn't feed the smoked bones either. They may be treated with chemicals and/or contain too much bacteria.

Is your dog vomiting, lethargic, drinking lots, etc? Anything out of the ordinary? If so, please take her to the vet (bring a stool sample) to rule out blockage and/or a bacterial infection.

In the future, you may want to consider safer alternatives for her chewing pleasure such as stuffed Kongs.

She's better soon.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Bunnicula

Thanks!

I'm not sure if it is smoked or not. She vomited yesterday, but that was largely because she over-ate, she throws up when she overeats. Otherwise she is completely normal, wants food, drinks tons of water and is her normal self. Perhaps you're right it did not look like a normal raw-hide, but it was dark and a big bone so maybe it was smoked.

I'm going to see how her poop is today and then go from there.

I'm going to feed her some pumpkin later and see if her poop solids up.

We give her kongs all the time, but it takes her a few minutes to get anything out of there (at tops) I was thinking of getting dog spray cheese or something so that it just gives her more time.

I'm at a loss with her though, because she rips apart any toy (ANY toy) the kong is the only thing that has lasted, she rips them in literally 5 minutes or less. She chews bones fast and until their done, so I am not sure what to give her.

Last edited by Crestfallen; January 5th, 2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Forgotsome info
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Geek Club CEO

how about a good strong toy bone, like a Nylabone? These last our very hard chewers a long time and we don't have to worry about diarrhea (which ours get if they get large bones)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Bunnicula

We've tried the nylabone, but she gets through it within a day And then I worried because I know its basically plastic, so I didn't want to have plastic in her system.

I have no idea how either. Are there different strengths of the bone(s)? We tried one that was a pinkish hue.

It's so weird she's not even a big dog, but man that dog can chew. She is so determined, if she is given a toy she wants to destroy it asap. She doesn't luckily destroy anything else in the house though!

But thanks though! This was the first time she got the BIG bone from the store, otherwise we normally get small raw-hide bones and she never reacts to them. We have 2 dogs and the our older won't share the big bones with the little one, so at least he was safe from the diarreah, I guess that will teach her to not share.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

My golden had trouble all his life with bones. He ate them too fast, and the bones pieces sat in his stomach for about a week. Made him sick. It's like he could not digest them. Go with scented hard toy bones don't bother with real ones. I've known dogs to be sick on raw hide too.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestfallen View Post
We give her kongs all the time, but it takes her a few minutes to get anything out of there (at tops) I was thinking of getting dog spray cheese or something so that it just gives her more time.
You can mix up some kibble with canned (our guys love green tripe), home cooked, unsalted cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc and freeze overnight. It'll be more of a challenge for her. If she really likes to chew so much, you can feed all her meals this way rather than out of a bowl.

I like the Nylabones too but our guys don't bother with them . Umm, I don't mean I like them as in I like to chew them , I just like the idea of them vs rawhide/smoked bones.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Bunnicula

Thanks guys.

Throwing out the rest of the bone that's for sure! I knew it was too good to be true, finally a bone she didn't chew in an hour haha

I guess you shouldn't feed anything to your dog you would question yourself to eat. At least the ingredients.

My little one reacted badly to pigs ears when he was a pup. He's better now, but when he was a wee one he got BAD poop problems from it, very runny and wet. I guess I should have known better.

Is it bad if the bone sits in them for a few days while it is digesting?
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Bunnicula

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
You can mix up some kibble with canned (our guys love green tripe), home cooked, unsalted cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc and freeze overnight. It'll be more of a challenge for her. If she really likes to chew so much, you can feed all her meals this way rather than out of a bowl.

I like the Nylabones too but our guys don't bother with them . Umm, I don't mean I like them as in I like to chew them , I just like the idea of them vs rawhide/smoked bones.

hahaha - ya! I think I'll try that more. I think I'll get a few more kong's and just freeze a few at a time. SHE LOVES to chew! Luckily not my shoes or any furniture. I used to freeze peanut butter in her kong, so I think I'll start doing that some more.

Thanks for the idea!

I also freeze a lot of chicken or beef broth / pumpkin in ice trays and then give it to them as treats. They love it.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:09 AM
Doggie Wench

Some more suggestions for food dispensing chew toys that are hits with our dogs: The Canine Genius that can be stuffed like a Kong (although it's a bit harder to wash), the Amaze A-Ball, the Buster Cube (not a chew toy but fun to get food out of nevertheless), the Busy Buddy, the Kong Dental Sticks (I smear peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc in the little crevices), the Kong Stuff-A-Ball, and the Zogoflex.
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
We've tried the nylabone, but she gets through it within a day And then I worried because I know its basically plastic, so I didn't want to have plastic in her system.

I have no idea how either. Are there different strengths of the bone(s)? We tried one that was a pinkish hue.

There are definitely different strengths and sizes. Some are very soft a rubbery, others are extrememly thick and hard. I would recommend trying This one or this one or pretty much any of these. There's another one we love but I can't find it on the website, it's basically a 4-inch wide s-shape, super strong
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Bunnicula

Quote:
Some more suggestions for food dispensing chew toys that are hits with our dogs: The Canine Genius that can be stuffed like a Kong (although it's a bit harder to wash), the Amaze A-Ball, the Buster Cube (not a chew toy but fun to get food out of nevertheless), the Busy Buddy, the Kong Dental Sticks (I smear peanut butter, cottage cheese, etc in the little crevices), the Kong Stuff-A-Ball, and the Zogoflex.

That's a great idea! Thanks!
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Bunnicula

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
There are definitely different strengths and sizes. Some are very soft a rubbery, others are extrememly thick and hard. I would recommend trying This one or this one or pretty much any of these. There's another one we love but I can't find it on the website, it's basically a 4-inch wide s-shape, super strong

Thanks!! I am going to try the first one, we got the bacon one on the last link you provided and it was demoed asap, we'll try one of the bigger ones.

YAY! Thanks again
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Geek Club CEO

That first one, with the two chewy ends, is a staple in our house, we've got about 3 on the go right now,very durable!
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Bunnicula

Do you think its bad if the bone is still in her system for a few days??
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Bunnicula

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
That first one, with the two chewy ends, is a staple in our house, we've got about 3 on the go right now,very durable!
Are they expensive?
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Bunnicula

Yay she had a solid poop today!!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Are they expensive?
I think about 15 dollars
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

try getting some of the extra large bully sticks for chewing too. i've never had my dogs get tummy upsets from them.

clm
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I generally really like the KONG products, and have a bunch of different ones, but neither the Stuff-a-Ball or the Dental Sticks hold up as well for power chewers as some of their other products. My guys are hard on toys so most of their toys are various different KONGs and some nylabones. Plush toys are usually destroyed quickly, but for some reason I've found they aren't so quick to rip them up if they are just a plain stuffed ball with squeaker in side. If it's anything with bumps, arms, legs or anything else sticking out they chew it up. As far as bones go, I get the large marrow filled smoked bones, ones that I know are from Ontario, not imported from who-knows-where. I find the big center shank bone is the best. The ones with the knobby ends can be ripped apart too easily and then there is the worry about them eating pieces of bone or choking. With the ones I get, the dogs will pretty much clean off all the smoky outer goodness within a day or so, but they'll keep working at getting the marrow out for quite a while longer, chewing at them and licking, trying to get their tongues down inside at the marrow. Right now they're still working on the marrow of their Christmas bones. Once that's all gone they'll still sometimes chew on them so we've got tons of bones both inside and out in the backyard. I find that the bones really help to clean teeth. The first few days the dogs have new bones they really work hard at them and then their teeth are much cleaner.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old January 6th, 2010, 02:18 AM

Wink

Maybe you could try "Tuffy's" for toys??

Although they are quite expensive (compared to normal toys) they are apparently quite good and are suitable for even the toughest chewer (in fact, they use them at MGM in the lion cub cage!). I have heard a few members mention on here they had great success with them.

You can find them in almost any pet store.

Here's the link: http://vipproducts.com/retail/files/index.php?cPath=27

They have a "Tuff" Scale with 1 as the cheap plush toy, 4 as fake knock-off sewn nylon toys, to 10 as mega tuff- without a doubt the tuffest (this would probably be the best for your pup!!!)

Some more info on them: The secret to these toys’ tough*ness is all in the con*struc*tion. They’re made from four lay*ers of mate*ri*als: soft fleece on the out*side fol*lowed by a layer of heavy-duty lug*gage mate*r*ial, plas*tic coat*ing, and a final layer of lug*gage mate*r*ial. Industrial-grade nylon holds it all together, and nylon safety pock*ets secure the squeak*ers in every toy.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama

Last edited by cassiek; January 6th, 2010 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Added more info
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Bunnicula

Thanks for all the tips guys! I really appreciate it! I don't like giving bones often anyway, but I'm a student so we're often out of the house for a while, so I hate leaving my dogs with NOTHING to do.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Surprisingly our male GR had jaws that I believe would break anything. I bought him a Shank bone at the grocery store and he was able to chomp it in half. I ended up buying him a 5.5" nylabone like the one in this picture at Petsmart for $6.99 (I think USD) and he was unable to break it, though he did chew down the ends. It was extremely durable and it cost about $5.99 when I bought it back in 1999. They are advertised for $6.99 and up now depending on the length. I found it was worth the price because I didn't have to replace it.

Good luck with your baby

Last edited by dbg10; January 6th, 2010 at 04:58 PM. Reason: sp

Tags
bones, diarrhea