Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old January 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM

my husband didnt have his insurance today

Got stopped by the police he thought it was in his vechile it wasnt
We live in ontario does any one know what he will get he just got a ticket for it.
He also got caught not stopping at a stop sign anyone know what he will get?
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
-

Whatever he is getting he should have received at the time of the stop.
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

He just got 2 tickets which is why we dont know being only here for just over a year!
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:38 AM
-

So those 2 tickets will each have an amount on them that will have to be paid unless you are going to fight it, in that case you will have to fill in the back and send it in for a court date.
I got a parking ticket once that I fought and 1/2 won. I parked in an area that they said was not to be parked in during peak hours, the area was not marked and I did take a picture. I went to court and had the amount dropped to a third of the ticket. Make sure that it is worth your time to go to court if you think you have a case. If it is a 50 ticket and you have to take time off work to go to court then it will probably be best to just pay it.
I don't think what he did includes points so it would just be the fine that is on it(ticket).
Old January 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Tell hubby to look at the tickets.

It will have a checkmark(left side)and the reason, and the price of the fine he has to pay(right side).

Also,please make sure it gets paid....If not,he will not be able to renew his licence.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:38 AM

one ticket for not having insurance says 75 dollar fine

The other one doesnt say anything he says but he asked the police officer and he said its points. I just looked at the point system here and it will be 3 points. This is a nightmare for us as it will effect our insurance which is high anyway!
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:44 AM
-

Oh my lord, 3 points for going through a stop sign, was it in a school area? That is a lot.
Is there any way that he could fight this, snow, slippery roads, etc?
I would guess this is going to raise your insurance.
Old January 10th, 2006, 10:57 AM

In Qc, it's 3 points for a stop all the time (unless you have great cleavage of course, then it could be less...).

As far as I know, here anyway, the insurance only goes up after 5 or 6 demerit points.

A couple of years ago my boyfriend slid through a stop sign on ice and got a ticket. When he started moving again, he slid through another one (very icy day) and got another one. What an a** of a cop.
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very surprised your husband does not have to report to the police station within 24 hours showing proof of insurance. Maybe they have changed the rules, but personally as someone living in Ontario, I would prefer that insurance be verified than just collect the fine. Perhaps double check with him that he was not asked to do this. Going through certain stop signs will surely cost you 3 points. Sometimes it is hard to read the fine amount on the copy they give you because it is so faint. I have only had 2 parking tickets in my life, but they were a devil to read. When we go away and leave the car I take the ownership and insurance slips out of the car just in case someone should be so kind as to steal it. Remembering to put them back in is the hard part. Was glad I had them though late Dec. when I was rear ended by the proverbial Ontario Hydro truck.
Old January 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM

You can probably fight the ticket in court. You can go to those x-coppers people and they will help you fight it. You will probably still have to pay the fines, but they can at least try to help you with the demerit points. Sometimes when you fight it in court, the drop the charge down so that you don't get the demerit points. Would be much better for insurance purposes, expecially the way insurance is now, your insurance would probably go up.
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
In Qc, it's 3 points for a stop all the time (unless you have great cleavage of course, then it could be less...).
Apparently it doesn't work if the cleavage is hairy (I was going to try the tears, but I think I was already pushing my luck...)
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:16 PM

Schwinn, did you try, "I'm sorry, can you repeat that, Officer Handsome? I was distracted..."
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Schwinn, you just got an officer whose orientation was toward women - you needed the other kind if you think cleavage of a certain kind would help, lol (Plus, according to my bf the lawyer, it is against the law to try to influence a police officer - tho rarely enforced.Tho I told him how he acts toward a female Judge (and there are a few, yippee, - one my former roommate who is Nova Scotia's 1st Black female Judge)- does he flirt? Then again, he is an immigration lawyer - has to convince all thse little old ladies and political hacks. I think his mother ( a former Canadian Senator - and I don't mean she played hockey, tee hee) - may have given him lessons on that. )

Seriously, I have to admit it has been sooooo helpful to share my life with someone who was raised by a feminst. She became involved in politics after being on the Advisory Council on the Status of Women and active in women's issue. A very principled woman - I adore her. A typical Jewish grand mom type tho - anxious for a grandchild. She makes a good Jewish grandma to the kitties though - but of course who could resist the charms of my little Deal Point Wedgie diva, lol

Anyway - did not mean to hijack the Hi=jack. Sorry to hear about the points and the fine. Pay them asap!!!! Unless there are circumstances. Sometimes, Judges are so surprised anyone shows up to challenge a traffic violation that you win. My dad did!! (and the Judge was NOT a friend of my grandfather's either, lol)

Last edited by CyberKitten; January 10th, 2006 at 03:41 PM.
Old January 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM

It apparantely is 3 points for the not stopping he will look into trying to fight it. The fine for not producing insurance was wrote on the ticket just hard to make it out. I personally think its hars he jsut didnt have it we could have produced it later!

He just found out he has 3 points and also a 110 dollar fine for the non stopping and a 75 dollar fine for not having insurance

Last edited by jackieb; January 10th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Performance Spaniels

I keep my insurance and ownership in my wallet, so if my car is stolen, they lack the paperwork, and also so I always have it on me.

If you choose to fight it, I suggest Pointts. They fought my ex bf's ticket issues when he had an accident. Also reduced the number of demerit points he recieved.
Old January 10th, 2006, 09:39 PM
<-----nut ball

I heard today on the news that the cops are doing a crackdown on documentation this week/month (can't remember for how long). If you don't have your ownership/license/insurance, you will be fined (no leaniance)