Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 8th, 2001, 07:22 PM

Unhappy Parvovirus - Answered by Dr. Slome

Help.

We have a female Rot. (Boomer) that we've had since she was a pup (5 yrs). Picked up a 7 week old mut-pup Mon. (6 Aug 01) from the local pound (Max). Turns out Max has Parvo (contracted at the pound) and he's not expected to survive, (at the vet. as I type...hoping for the best).

To protect Boomer we are...
- Sanitizing or throwing out everything Max came in contact with
-- Using diluted bleach to sanitize
- Taking Boomer to the vet. for a Parvo booster

Is there ANYTHING else we can or should do? It's bad enough that we'll probably lose Max, losing Boomer would be a killer.
Old August 13th, 2001, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Post Parvovirus

Parvovirus is an extremely dangerous intestinal virus that destroys the
lining of the small intestines which results in malabsorption of food and
water and allows blood to leak into the intestines. This will lead to
weakness, dehydration and death (sometimes the virus also attacks the heart
muscle which is usually fatal).

Sounds like you are pretty much doing everything you can.
Just make sure that the vaccines are done routinely every year otherwise the protection may not always last the full time and will not protect fully.

Good luck

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill
Ontario
L4J 7Y3
(905) 771-9855
Old August 15th, 2001, 10:07 PM

Doc,

Thanks much for you quick reply...

Bad news is Max didn't make it (we're all pretty bummed). Good news is Boomer hasn't shown any signs of infection; hoping we dodged a bullet there.

Had no idea about parvo boosters yearly. Very important/useful information...will DEFINITELY comply.

Thanks again,
fish
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:15 AM

parvo

1st off.....let me say.....i am not a vet or have training in the care of animals aside from the normal dipping for blood sucking critters, rabies shots, mange, ect ect........now.....let me tell you about a man that put airborne viruses in perspective.......(parvo.....corona.....distemper. .....ect) he said...... the virus enters through the mouth and airway......and settles in the digestive track......(stomach, intestines ect) eventually the animal stops taking in food to the point that it is unable to........the stools start to soften.....then runs......then fluid......(i may miss some things--but i hope you get the picture i got) at some point the animal stops eating......lockjaw will start setting in.......let me say also....he was well known around here for his care of animals (mainly horses) many many people came to him to share his knowledge of animals.......he told me that you have to treat these kind of illnessess where they lie......not in the blood system.......but in the digestive system......all in all it sounded so simple.........he said all you got to do is just keep (food/fluids) going in.......constantly.....non-stop......so i went home and picked up my dog and locked my legs around her grabbed her lower jaw and pryed her mouth open ( and just when i thought she was about gone...i felt like i was wrestling an alligator) dropped a tablespoon of suger water (substitute for electrolytes)down her throat and it took both hands holding her mouth closed and both legs holding her.......while she choked it down.....and then repeated.........i settled her down.......and 10 minutes later i repeated everything again and then for the next 36 hours i repeated that scene every......i repeat every 10 minutes......as accurate as an iv drip.......by the 36 hours i had my dog at the vet sitting up on her own on the table.......as he was asking me all the pertinent questions i could see the look on his face.......and when he asked me who told me what to do.....then he understood why my dog was still alive after i told him who it was......if you are not prepared to follow this regiment and that is what it is.......i'm not telling you that your dog will live.........i'm just saying this is what saved mine......i did exactly as i was told.........keep it (fluids) going in .......and my dog was on her side.....her tongue hanging out of her mouth and green fluid coming from where her stool comes out.......and if you have an animal of real size or has large canines or sharp or large claws......then you will just have to keep that in mind if you find yourself in this situation.......which is funds are low.....it's the weekend.......hard to find a vet.....and you gotta do it all by yourself...........anyway......i enjoyed nikki for the next 14 years ps.......nothing i've stated here is a substitute for veterinarians......sincerely dean sorrels
Old August 27th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

First off, Parvo, corona & distemper are not airborne viruses but contact.

This thread was last dated August 2001 also.
Old February 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM

does my dog really have parvo?

hey doc, we jsut got 2 puppies, wich have been fine for the past 3 weeks but as of yesterday one has been acting up. we took him to the vet with a stool sample, it had a bit of blood in it. they didnt look at it and only took his temp which was 102, and then gave us 300 dollars worth of medicine and food. is it a sure thing or could it jsut have been a bad reaction to the pig ears he was chewin on? thankx a ton.

jacksue
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Doggie Wench

Nothing is a sure thing jacksue unless the stool was tested for Parvo. What were the meds for??