Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM

new food and ♥'ing it!!

my city finally got orijen in! yay!!
i had been feeding both my dog and my kitten science diet: nature's best.
i am a tad embarassed to admit that i got fooled by the name "nature's best"...that and the encouragement of the pet food store clerk misrepresenting it. i was initally under the impression it was an all natural food - as that is what i had asked for.
once i realized that there was a fair amount of grain and corn in it, i decided to try orijen. however, no one in town sold it
i finally called a local pet store this morning and they have started carrying it!
after reading many posts on here, i was a little worried about the price (although my babies are totally worth it!). to my amazement, the cat food was only $3 more, and the dog food was $6 less (so overall i still saved $3!).

i added a little to their food bowls this morning, after nearly being mauled by both of them while opening the bags. aslan ran right to his dish and chowed down (now maybe he will leave kiila's dog food alone as he seems to love this food!) kiila did the same, however, picked out only the orijen and spit her old food out! hahaha! if i only had a video camera - would have been a perfect commercial!
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Now the best thing to do for Aslan is to get him on a good quality canned food and off of dry all together. Dry is not a great food for cats. Definitely not male cats who tend to have more issues with crystals as they grow older. Orijen is better than grain/corn filled food but not optimal for his health.

www.catinfo.org is a great site to peruse.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:54 PM

he is on wet, but gets that morning and eveing for meals...i leave him dry food to graze on throughout the day as i cannot leave wet unattended or kiila will gobble it down on him
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Molly's mama

Yes, Tropical Fish and Pet Supply in T.Bay has been carrying it for some time now, that is where I get all my dog food. Orijen is GREAT stuff for dogs!!!
That particular store also has a rewards program, after buying 10 large bags of Orijen, you get the 11th bag free. They also have "stamp cards" for all purchases. It's a great store!
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:39 PM

i never called that store - i had tried petsmart, pet valu, and the pet shack and had been trying for quite some time...never thought of tropical - i always think of that store as fish and reptiles. good to know! i got mine at the pet shack and it was surprisingly cheap! cheaper than the science diet she had been eating! they have a stamp card thing too.
are you from thunder bay molly?!
Old September 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Molly's mama

yup, grew up there, now I live in Sioux Lookout

Last edited by mollywog; September 16th, 2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:00 AM

sioux lookout is a great lil town! i used to live in the vermilion bay/dryden area before moving to thunder bay.
small world
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Puggy

great all natural food

Hey, i have a german shepherd/ beagle thats named Abby and she is the love of my life. For the past couple of weeks I noticed that she was acting wired, not wanting to play, not eating that much, an was always mopping around. This scared me because she only 7 years old. I was talking to a friend of mine and told her what was going on, she introduced me to a new type of all natural food called FreshPet Select. After a couple of days of eating the new food, she was her old self. i highly suggest this product. Here there website check them out http://www.freshpetselect.com/.
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:51 PM

thanks kitkat! i just checked and it is not sold in my area - but will keep checking back if the orijen doesnt go over well...but so far, so good - she loves it
glad to hear abby is back to her old self!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM

well, while she loves her new food, her tummy thinks otherwise. she was transitioned from old to new...but she has a super upset tummy and diarrhea - poor girl! i hope she gets used to it soon