Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old March 30th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Charlie & Abby *URGENT*

These two HUGE cats (17 and 26 lbs) were crammed into a cardboard box which was taped shut, and dumped on a vet's doorstep when their owner decided to say "So long!".

Charlie is a Maine Coon and Abby is a grey shorthair. They are obese from a lifetime of eating crappy food and their coats are in poor condition, but they will be drop dead gorgeous with a little TLC and proper nutrition.

They are SWEET lovebugs - gentle and affectionate - and desperately need a foster or permanent home. They are declawed, and about 5 or 6 yrs old.

If you want a whole lot of lovin', this is the duo for you. Charlie and Abby have lost everything in their world except each other and must be adopted together.
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:32 AM

they're beautiful! I love big cats I hope these two get homes fast! I'd scoop 'em up in a second!

How can someone do that..? Cram them in a box and tape it shut
If they were so desperate to get rid of them, why couldn't they take them to a shelter? Or go on a website like this!! or even the newspaper. this really bothers me.. ppl like this..
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

People are "a"---les!
Old June 26th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Just curious

Hi LR,

My mother happened to look over my shoulder and see the picture of these two beautiful cats and felt so sad for them. She just very well MAY be interested - she already has two cats and so is concerned about getting another two but I thought I could get some more info for her, just in case I can convince her

Do you know how these cats interact with other cats or with dogs for that matter? (thinking of Molly here!) Are they completely declawed, inclding the back ones? Is there anything else you can tell me about them?

Like I said, my mom isn't sure but I really hope that if they aren't the right cats for her that someone will adopt them.
Old June 26th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Missy

Charlie and Abby are being fostered in a home with 4 other cats, and a dog. They have no interaction with the dog, as this dog is dangerous to cats. So I don't know how they would react to a dog, but I'm pretty sure Abby would be frightened. If the dog doesn't chase, bother or approach them, they would probably be o.k.

Charlie is just fine with the other cats for the most part, but Abby tends to be a little snippy with a couple of the cats in the home, particularly the female.

Charlie is calm and lovable - Abby is a little shyer and it takes her awhile to come around. Patience with her is needed. Both cats are sweet and lovable with people, and they are healthy.

They are both declawed in the front only.

Where does your mother live? The person fostering will have to be able to pay a home visit before adoption and afterwards, and she is very picky about where they go and has turned down a few people already - one because the home was not suitable, and others because they wanted Charlie only.

If your mother just wants to help cats, we have two others in desperate need who have been sitting in a cage since January. They are sweet and friendly boys, and are not declawed. They are on the front page of our site.
Lucky Rescue
Old June 26th, 2004, 07:20 PM

Hi LuckyRescue,

Well, a home visit may be a problem since my mom lives in Toronto but perhaps something can be arranged? I live in Montreal so maybe she could do a home visit with me

My mom had two cats which lived to be 19 and 20 and a third which passed away of feline leukemia at 7 years. She now has two healthy cats (a male, 7 years and a female, 4 years). The male is very easy-going and gentle and the female is a little skittish. They both get along very well and are very affectionate with each other and with people. All of her cats have been spayed and neutered and are indoor cats only. Our first female cat was very snippy and she needed a lot of attention, care, and most of all - patience! Especially when she lost her hearing when she was about 16 or so (she was the one that lived to be 20). Our male cat (who lived to be 19) had diabetes, required two needles a day and a special diet and so my mother is used to putting in a lot of love and care for her animals

I am moving on July 1st (like everyone else in Montreal) and so my mom will be there to help this week. If the foster mom were to approve of her, she could take them home with her when she went back after the move. Also, she would not want to separate the cats and so would only take both Charlie and Abbey. I can attest to the fact that my mother would be able to offer a suitable home and so I really hope that she can adopt these two but I understand if the circumstances don't allow for her to adopt the cats. I do hope the foster mom will be able to find a good place for them to live out their years.

As for the other cats, my mom may be interested (especially given that they are in a cage) but her two cats are declawed and so she was hoping to find two cats that were also declawed. What do you know about these cats so I can tell her?

Thanks
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww, that is too bad! Your mom sounds like she would be an absolutely WONDERFUL home - just the kind we are always hoping for!

Debbie, who runs Lucky Rescue, has these two at her home and I just know she would not let them go so far away. She is very attached to them, and really wants to keep them. She is just trying to work on her hubby. In the meantime, if a perfect home comes up, she would let them go, but it must be near enough for her to visit a few times.

I don't know how those two orange guys get along with other cats, but they are very bonded to each other and must be placed together. They are so terrified at our adoption clinics, that they don't show well. But at the vet where they stay, they are friendly and laid-back.

Everything we know about them is HERE
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:57 PM

Oh that's really too bad and I know my mom will be disappointed At least I can tell her they're in a good place.

The other two cats look really sweet and would add some colour to the mix (our cats are white and tabby grey) but there is some concern that they are not declawed. Since my moms two cats are, we would be too nervous bringing in cats that were not since they would be unable to defend themselves (not that these cats would attack but you never know what may happen in the first few weeks). Even a normal, small squabble over a special treat where one cat bats at another could be a problem. The last thing we would ever want to have to do is be in a position where we would be forced to give them back because of something like that, it simply wouldn't be an option. So, if my mom were able to adopt these two babies, then she would have to get them declawed (yes, I have read all the posts about how bad it is but it wouldn't be a choice she would want to make, more one she felt she had to) but she is interested and could make a visit to the vet on Wednesday.
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

I understand her concern for her declawed cats, but Lucky Rescue absolutely does not allow declawing on any of our cats. And in the case of these two guys, they have been through (and are going through) enough stress and fear already, poor babies.

But thanks so much for your interest, and thank your mom too!
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Wll, I figured that already and I don't think she would be very comfortable doing it especially given all the trauma they have experienced already, it just wouldn't be fair. However, we also couldn't bring in two cats that had claws when ours are declawed, you just never know what might happen. And once we bring a cat home, it's there for life so it could create a messy situation. I really hope they can find a home soon though.

Can you do me a favour though? The thing is, my mom wasn't actually looking to adopt, she just happened to see the picture of those two and thought they would be a good match for her, especially since they were already declawed and given their sad situation. So, she isn't going to be running out looking to adopt cats but she is now open to the idea so if a pair of adult cats (she would like to offer a home for two since she knows how hard they are to place) come along which have already been declawed, could you just let me know?

Thanks
Old June 27th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

There is a 5 yr old declawed Himalayan (see "Wonkypoo") below, but he is not in our possession and you would have to contact the people who have him. I know they are anxious to have him gone.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,on the Pet.finder site it looks like the two orange tabbies were adopted,if so,that's great news!!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, yes Chico!! They got adopted after sitting in that cage since January!! I was never so happy to put any animal on my "Happy Tails" page!!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

YIPPPPPPPPPIIEII heee iiii oooh!

(thats not making any sense but it's just whats comin outta my mouth) LOL

Thats excellent news!