Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 12th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Question Cat acts hurt when being petted

This is my first post so forgive me if I put this in the wrong category. I have a question concerning my 10 year old cat. When I try to pet her as I get to halfway down her back, closer to her hip area, she will suddenly turn and look at me as if I am hurting her. Sometimes she will be laying on the floor and move or walk and do the same thing. The Vet could not find anything wrong other than the fact that she is overweight at 15 lbs. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I overly concerned about her? There is another vet in a nearby town I can take her too. I have a very high bed and have put steps by the bed for her to get up and down. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:52 PM

I'm surprised no one has replied to this yet! Yes, I did have a cat with this problem. There were two reasons:

1) She had very thick fur and developed a dry skin condition which itched her, mainly in the lower back area. Lots of white flakes there, much like dandruff. Scratching her there made her do "bite" motions (they were very gentle so I'd give her my fingers to bite on!) The bite motions are, I think, some response from the cat thinking she is the one doing the scratching (or brushing or combing). We added cod liver oil to her food to help her with this. It was especially bad in cold weather.

2) Same cat developed a disk problem in her back, and I'd say she was just about 10 then. She was overweight as well. First indication we had was a hissing and growling from her when she couldn't get into a comfortable position on a chair (she was just hissing and growling in general, not at us). Eventually she'd just jump off the chair in disgust. I don't recall the particulars, but we ended up giving her some spinal x-rays that showed the herniated disks. A baby aspirin or 1/4 of a regular aspirin every 3-5 days or so made her much more comfortable. I wouldn't do the aspirin unless you first find out from the vet just what's going on. Good luck!
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie1956 View Post
A baby aspirin or 1/4 of a regular aspirin every 3-5 days or so made her much more comfortable. I wouldn't do the aspirin unless you first find out from the vet just what's going on. Good luck!
I agree, please please please dont assume this is what is happening with your cat as well and start dosing it up with asprin, this should only be done under DIRECT supervision of your vet.

Also I am thinking perhaps her hips are bad?!?!? Im not to familiar with cats and hip problems but while looking for treats for my dog with bad hips I have seen the same offered for cats.

Perhaps some added glucosamine will help the kitty out??? But there has to be some form of diagnosis before doing any of this. I would go back to the vet or even another one and ask for some more tests!
Good luck
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Queen

Did you notice when it started or if it gradually developed? One possibility is that she got hurt, maybe something fell on her or she was playing and something happened. The spot might now be sensitive even though nothing is physically wrong, kind of ptsd type reacation. The vet could have also missed something like arthritis or a disc problem.
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Sorry for just replying, have been out of town. I don't remember her getting hurt but it is entirely possible it happened while I was at work. I don't remember when it started but I think it was gradual. She does have thick fur, I brush her every night which she hates and I have noticed some white flakes. I have an appointment with a different Vet next Saturday. Hopefully they will be able to find out something. Thank you for the suggestions and thank you for your concern. I wouldn't give my darling any medication without orders from a Vet.
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Queen

Thanks for the update. Good luck.