Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old September 13th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,I know what you mean,he was buried I think friday or saturday:sad:
I the meantime Bryant is scrambling,getting PR men to tell him what to say,expensive lawyers to get him off any charges,makes me fume
Old September 13th, 2009, 06:11 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
I mean how can you comment on something, if you were not even there yourself.

because that is called : free speech .

You don't have to "have been there" to comment on a topic.
Old September 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

If we would need to"be there"at any criminal offense to discuss it,we would know nothing,luckily we have video and witnesses.
There is no question in my mind what will happen in court,we have an ex A-G,with powerful friends(McGuinty not being one of them) and Pr-men,going up against a crumpled bike,a dead cyclist-courier.
Shepard and his family have already lost,Bryant will go on with his life as before.
Old September 18th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Finally an unbiased columnist in the Star,Antonia Zerbisias writes a excellent column in todays Toronto Star.
It's in the Living section on page A4,I still have not learned how to transfer on to our site,hopefully L4H can
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks chico, I'll take a read.

A cyclist was killed yesterday in Ottawa and another was struck by a pick up truck not too far from where I bike. :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:10 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Here you go Chico2...

http://www.thestar.com/comment/colum...article/697394

ok going to voiced my opinion now,living in toronto i do see the worst of both sides of this story, bad bikers and bad drivers. I have no doubt that because of who he is, Bryant is going to get off with a slap on the wrist and that is sooooo wrong. A person was killed no matter what happened or who started it. The person behind the wheel of the car no matter who should be held accountable for not only killing someone but leaving the initial scene of the accident.
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.thestar.com/comment/colum...article/697394

Bryant and bike courier a class issue
Email story
Print
Choose text size
Report error or complaint
Email the author
License this article

The victim: Darcy Sheppard profile Key places and moments in aftermath of mishap PHOTOS: Cyclists demonstrate Dream date before the nightmare Car vs. cycle Road to 'reputation recovery' VIP stay in custody criticized A gap at Invest Toronto Bryant resignation letter His defence: Lawyers speculate Photos: Cyclists protest Is Michael Bryant's life over? Wells: Showman Bryant rose quickly Map: 2008 bike collisions Photos: Bryant and scene Photos: Bryant through the years Biking Toronto forum Michael Bryant profile Audio: Police press briefing Sep 18, 2009 04:30 AM
Antonia Zerbisias

"A journalist's job is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable."

Attributed to American critic H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

On Sept. 1, after former Ontario attorney-general Michael Bryant was charged with "criminal negligence causing death" and "dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death," there wasn't much comforting the afflicted.

Anyway, bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard was more than afflicted.

He had been left bleeding from his nose and mouth on Bloor St., only to die in hospital after allegedly being bashed against a mailbox while hanging on to Bryant's convertible.

These are the claims that Toronto has learned from witnesses, police and media reports.

There is no dispute that, not only did Bryant engage one of the best criminal lawyers money could buy, he lined up a top-tier communications firm called Navigator to handle his public representations and, as the Star reported, shopped for a private investigator to dig up evidence.

It's very difficult not to remark on the unfair physical match between a cyclist and a motorist.

It's also tough not to notice the imbalance between a once-promising politician and the unfortunate product of just about the very worst sequence of disadvantages any Canadian can be born into.

So yes, this is very much a class issue.

Since that tragic late summer evening which has divided this city – cyclist v. motorist, rich v. poor, right v. left, pitbull lover v. Bryant's hated legislation – there's been much ink spilled on whether Sheppard was drunk, whether he grabbed Bryant's wheel, whether he slammed his backpack on the hood, as well as his past.

Just this week in Maclean's, for example, there is no sympathy spared for the victim.

But, as former Olympic cyclist and cycling lawyer Bob Mionske outlines on Bicycling.com, it's all spin.

"Why do I think it's spin?" he asks. "Because details about Sheppard's ancient run-ins with the law over stolen cheques had nothing to do with what happened the night of his death. Neither did stories about noise complaints from neighbours, or his problems with alcohol ... But they had everything to do with shaping public opinion, turning the public against Sheppard, and in support of Bryant."

That's why you can't help but get the impression that some people are more equal than others.

Except that now, Twitter and YouTube have brought yet another perspective. Which brings us to @BryantTruths and HonestEdits.

HonestEdits, who has been posting surveillance videos from the scene on YouTube, prefers to remain anonymous. HonestEdits' videos, compressed for clarity, string together two clips in a chronological sequence that the corporate media have not presented.

True, they're not exactly high-definition. (Try an iPhone.) And they may not tell the whole story. In fact, last week, when the first video popped up, the Bryant camp, via its blog, denounced its narration as "inaccurate and one-sided."

Now that post is gone – but I have screen grabs.

Interestingly, what's not gone is the video, plus others since added, now viewed some 40,000 times, collectively, and on various blogs.

PR pro and and cycling advocate Don Weidman is @BryantTruths, tweeting what he calls "the other side of the story."

He does it because he feels that the PR profession is getting a bad name – and also because he has found himself in street face-offs with "guys in their 40s in big black cars."

As he told me, "I want a better world. I want to fight for the underdog."

Which is what journalism should be about.

Meanwhile, the Navigator-produced bryantfacts.wordpress.com and tweets (@BryantFacts) have scaled back – with the former now containing only a terse announcement that it "will be used for the release of any official statements."

Bryant will have his day in court next month – and, presumably, a trial will eventually follow.

As both Weidman and Honest-Edits tell me, Sheppard may be dead – he won't be silenced.

Antonia Zerbisias is a Living section columnist. azerbisias@thestar.ca. She blogs at thestar.blogs.com.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Whoops, you beat me to it, Aslan

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post

leaving the initial scene of the accident.
That's what I couldn't understand when reading the charges against Bryant, he was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
That's what I couldn't understand when reading the charges against Bryant, he was not charged with leaving the scene of an accident
I am thinking the prosecution may thought they wouldn't be able to win that charge as he did "eventually" stop. Unless there is somewhere written as to the distance a vehicle is to stop, then I think Bryant's lawyers could win that one.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am thinking the prosecution may thought they wouldn't be able to win that charge as he did "eventually" stop. Unless there is somewhere written as to the distance a vehicle is to stop, then I think Bryant's lawyers could win that one.
I thought I read in the paper that they continued on to a hotel and it was from there that they called the Police.
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, he did, he also tried to flee after initially hitting Darcy, which is what precipitated Darcy to run after Bryant's car and grab hold. I believe Darcy was trying to stop Bryant from getting away with hitting his bike. Actually, I think after Darcy got up from being hit, he threw his bag on Bryant's car,then ran after the car.

The video mom of two dogs posted shows the accident very clearly.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

We all know what a scumbag Bryant is and the worst thing is that he will walk away with a slap on the wrist. Money has a huge impact on cases when you have the best lawyers and a pr firm to spin it for you. Unless this is kept in the media and people do not let it slip into the abyss this cyclist will just be a statistic and the court case will be over and done with and Bryant will walk away. Maybe some high powered lawyer will step up and take the case for his family. Maybe he will be a pit bull owner too
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
-

So very tragic....I fear though that he will get off with just a slap on the wrist or community hours in one of his mens' clubs.....Crikey I hope I'm wrong.
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

The video mom of two dogs posted shows the accident very clearly.
I couldn't watch it....dial-up
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's L4H and Aslan for posting the column for us,I wrote her an e-mail thanking her for what she wrote,unlike the other jerk who wrote a totally biased column,saying Bryant did everything right

I am hoping this does not just whimper out,people forget so easily.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I couldn't watch it....dial-up
It is quite shocking to see how Bryant acted.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,Mr Bryant had a court-date this week,he did not go,his expensive lawyer took care of things.
Apparently Bryant want to get this over with quickly and I am sure it will be done quickly,unlike normal people who have to wait sometimes years.
I am not surprised this is all very hush-hush,not a word in the news-paper
Bryant is probably hoping the people have forgotten by now,that he killed a man and maybe many have,certainly not I.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I know, chico, it was on the 19th :sad:. I noticed as soon as the video was posted on u tube of Bryant hitting Sheppard and knocking him over, all his "spin" people kept their mouths shut.

I watched CBC news while I did my workout and was furious when they stated that Sheppard had the altercation with Bryant, making Sheppard out as the bad person. Of course they didn't state that the altercation was a result of Bryant hitting Sheppard with his car.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

This slime will get away with this he is like the teflon don. The public has to be the ones to demand answers so it does not get hidden away and he walks away by paying off the family. Make him pay and not just monetarily
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OMG, I can't believe this. It states that Sheppard collided with Bryant It was Bryant that hit Sheppard when Sheppard was infront of Bryant's car.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1328728/

KATE HAMMER

From Monday's Globe and Mail
Published on Monday, Oct. 19, 2009 12:00AM EDT

Last updated on Tuesday, Oct. 20, 2009 3:37AM EDT

Lawyers in the Michael Bryant case are expected to make a brief court appearance today, their first since the former attorney-general was charged in connection with the death of a cyclist.

Dan Robertson of Navigator Limited, the public-relations firm hired by Mr. Bryant shortly after the incident, said that Mr. Bryant would not be attending.

The accused faces charges of dangerous driving and criminal negligence causing the death of Darcy Allan Sheppard, 33, a bicycle courier who collided with Mr. Bryant's Saab convertible on Aug. 31.

Mr. Bryant was charged and released the next day without a bail hearing and was told to surrender his passport and refrain from driving.

He has since been spotted cycling.

Mr. Bryant has hired Marie Henein, a defence lawyer who was groomed by Edward Greenspan.

Ms. Henein helped acquit junior hockey coach David Frost, who had been accused of sexually exploiting some of his players.

The Ministry of the Attorney-General of Ontario has retained Vancouver attorney Richard Peck, who successfully defended Ajaib Singh Bagri on murder charges in the Air India trial, as a special prosecutor.

The court appearance will take place at 3 p.m. at Old City Hall Court.

With a report from Adam Radwanski

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

You know,I already could not stand seeing Bryants ignorant face,before this"accident"but if he gets away with this,with no punishment,other than a few thousands in lawyer-fees,I will totally believe we have a two-tier system when it come to crimes.
The rich on on side,the poor on the other,justice should have no boundaries,whether you are rich or poor.
I am just sickened by all this
Old November 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/200...navigator-ltd/
this is a site that reports on the "progress" of the case, thought you guys might like to follow it.. this Navigator firm seems like evil incarnate to me.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you babyrocky1, I have added it to my "favourites".

The man is a slime ball

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,Babyrock,I could not believe it when I read Jamie Watts name,I remember him very well and the scandal here in Oakville,he's a slime-ball,he somehow wormed his way in to politics and now to a PR firm,the man is a crook,but he's keeping good company in Michael Bryant

I never read anything about MB anymore,I guess they think people will forget,but not this people..
Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

You know whats really scary Chico???? On facebook when I typed in his name, I got twelve or so "mutual friends" ME??? all polticians, the same with Robin Sears, the other big guy at Navigator! ALL Partys except Green that I found so far plus activists, lobbiest, all know these two one way or another.. so I guess they RUN THE WORLD!
Old November 23rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Babyrock,they are a corrupt bunch living in their own world,far apart from us"regular"people,the more I learn about them,the more disgusted I get
Old November 23rd, 2009, 06:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow, what ethical humans run Navigator . Could anybody really believe anything that came out of their mouths?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the trick is that people don't know its coming out of THEIR mouth.. tthey use the media, facebook, twitter, and their connections to get their spin out! And they have a ton of connections - its pretty scary!!!!
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't know, if I was a law firm, I don't think I would hire somebody who was facing criminal charges . I wonder what the firm is going to do if he is found guilty?

Does anybody know if he can loose his license to practise as a lawyer if he is found guilty?

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...s-adviser?bn=1

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)