Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 17th, 2009, 02:36 PM

How do I fix this?

We adopted a small kitten today. This is my 4th cat in my lifetime and every cat I have ever brought home, I just showed them the litterbox and that was that. Well, This new baby was shown the litter box several times today and yet he pee'd on my bed. I immediately picked him up and placed him where the litterbox is ( I have another car for 3 years now) and I put his paws in the litter and scratched them in. He jumped out of the box and pooped on the floor next to the litterbox. I am perplexed. What am I doing wrong and how can I jump right on this problem? I dont want bad habits to start.
Old October 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I have three cats, and we have three litterboxes. Maybe get this new guy his own litterbox if this current one has been used by your older cat.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree. Some cats like their own box and won't share with others.

Also, be sure to clean the areas he already went on, or else he may pee there again.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old October 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Rule of thumb with cats is one box per cat plus one extra. Some kitties don't like to use a box belonging to someone else. A box of his own is a must.
Can you find out what kind of litter the person who you got him from used and use the same for a while? That way it isn't a huge change from what he is used to. Also, is the box too high for him? I know you said he jumped out of the one but maybe he doesn't like having to struggle to get into it.
Don't put his new box close to the other one. If they are side by side there may be issues too. Clean the soiled spots with a cleaner that is ammonia free. You can use Nature's Miracle (expensive) or the home made recipe that one of our members shared with us.... 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol, 1/4 cup vinegar, 1 cup water mixed in a spray bottle and applied liberally to the spots kitty has soiled.
You didn't mention if the litterbox was clean or soiled when you put the kitten in it. It is imperative when the kittens are small to keep the box as clean as possible. It is also very important NOT to use clumping litter. Kittens have a habit of munching on the clay which can cause blockages in their bellies and possible death.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM

well, he pee'd on my bed and I washed the comforter, sheets and matress pad. Where he pooped was on the mat that the litterbox sits on. I put him in the boys bathroom which is large with a small dish of food and water and a towel to surl up on. On the other side of the bathroom I took a pie tin and placed a thin layer of litter in it. I again sat him in it and put the claws through it. I geuss in the am, we will see what happens.

He is VERY small, and was a stray with others found on a local road. He was turned into animal control and the group I adopted him from informed me that the local animal shelter takes from them and the animals up for adoption today were the shelter rejects and were to be euthanized if not adopted. He is skin and bones...very small and very young. He has been fixed and is utd on shots as well as microchipped. I need to get him in to see the vet as well. She said no one wanted him because he is a black cat. It is the jewel green eyes that got my attention!!!

Anyway, like I said, I have never had this problem before and I guess I will have to see how it plays out.
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure some of our cat people here will have great suggestions for you as you monitor his progress. You've come to a great place for advice.

I just wanted to add = thankyou so much for rescuing this little sweetheart. Keep us posted on his progress, and we love pictures!! What did you name him?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 17th, 2009, 08:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If he was a feral kitten then yes, he would not know how to use the litterbox.
Especially if mom was not around to show him. :sad:
It is a good idea to give him a small room with his own food, water, bed and toys. The poor baby will be stressed if he is very young and away from all that is familiar.
Here are a couple of sites that may give you some ideas on training.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/kitten_toilet_train.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2137&aid=3288

Once he gets the idea that he needs to use the box it shouldn't take long. I'm really surprised the rescue is adopting out black cats at this time of the year. In this area they refuse to adopt black cats in October. Thank you for adopting him. I'm sure once he figures out what he needs to do he is going to be a super kitty. My black guys are all so lovable.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!