Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
Coopers mom

Angry anyone know a honest dentist!! rant

my dentist has gone in to semi retirment and has handed off his patients to his colleages. I had my first cavity at 21 and one after, my last first visit with the other dentist I had 2 and 3 weeks ago he said I had one on top and 2 between teeth, When I went to get them fixed he said I'll start with the two on this side and do the other two on the other side next time. Suddenly there is 2 apts instead of one, and the cavity moved or was he looking at the x-ray backwards that teh inbetweens are on the other side?

I don't trust him, I have a client that is a retired dentist I spoke with who told me he would look at my x-rays to tell me if its for real and said if it took less then a half hour then the cavity prob wasn't there or deep enought to fill.

So went to the dentist last night to pay the rest of my 260$ 20 minute filling. asked for my x-rays and the receptionist told me it is the law that they cant leave to office. I told her I payed for the optional x-ray so if it is option why cant i have it. Any how I think some people in the waiting room got nervious cause she couldn't understand I want a second opinion on the moving cavity. or if it was necissary to have the others done the day before.

I told her I just need the one you can keep the last 26 years of perfection

has anyone heard of this Law?

So then she said I could buy a copy for 30$ told her I already paid in full 85$ for x-rays 3 weeks ago. then when I finnally agree to pay the 30$ she said she could not do them today cause the machine is in use, thats when i just walked out.

anyone ever had an experience like that?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't realy help you on this one, but I have been told by many many dentists in Calgary, to never see a dentist in Quebec. They say it's worth paying for a trip out of the province just to see a Dentist.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:44 AM
Coopers mom

well I am 20 mins from this dentist (stayed with my childhood dentist) so was worth the drive. but I am 25 mins from Cornwall where I live now. So would be willing to go to a dentist in Cornwall (or would out of province affect the insurance?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:25 AM

My dentist is the best. He's honest and very very gentle and patient!
He's in Montreal though. I'll pm you his details
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I LOVE my dentist, he's in Westmount, a big honey bear. I've been trying to slip him a cat for years but he won't bite. Will PM you his details.
Years ago when I lived in Ottawa, I wanted to change opticians and they wouldn't give me the results of my last exam to take to the new guy, saying it was 'proprietary information'. So there are precedents.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

After many years of horrible dentists I finally found a really great one. He's on the plateau in mtl though, but if you want his info PM me.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM

I love my dentist. He used to be the president of the Canadian Dental Association. He fixes cavities with lazer now- no more drilling!! I've been going to him since I was little and I'll never switch. I even convinced my man to go get his porcelain tooth remade when he cracked it (his dentist would fix it and you could see the line where it cracked), and even though he hesitated, he loves his tooth and definitely noticed a difference between his dentist's job and mine.
http://drdolman.dentistryonline.com/
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I know many honest and great dentists - and that says alot since I grew up during a time when it seems dentists did horrible things to us, lol Seriously, there is no reason he cannot give you a copy of your file and Xrays - you paid for it. I do not know the law vis a vis Quebec but if I were you, I would ask the Cdn Dental Association and report him.

I see a pediatric dentist who used to be pres of the pediatric dental Assn of Canada - think that's the title, lol - me and the kids. He is superb (hates lasers tho, for a long time, they were unapporved here and in the UK so I had to have that sort of stuff done in Fla, 5 mins and my tooth was fixed). The main issue was the fact they don't last - I don't care, so many fillings and root canals and even implants also do not! (my brother has lost 2 implants now but then again, he plays hockey, lol)

I had to practice what I preach and have dental work (an implant thx to a tooth that was coming aprt - due to past horrors) befoe the infection affected my other health issues. So, I don't care of so many dentists disappove of lasers - I love them and if they come out, I just have them rdone, lol
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I love my dentist. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and I have very sensitive teeth, and whenever I go get my teeth cleaned I tell him I think I have a few cavities, and he always says I don't. He could have made a fortune off me!

The only thing I DON'T like is that he's been steadily increasing his prices. He's become a pretty popular cosmetic dentist, and it shows in his prices. I'm supposed to have an AWESOME insurance coverage (that is costing my bf alot of $$), and dentist bills are supposed to be paid in full. But since he charges alot, I always wind up having to pay a small fortune, since his bills aren't fully covered by my insurance.

Maybe I'll give Prin's guy a try.....no drilling sounds like heaven

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Coopers mom

Thanks for your refferals...

one of my friends told me about hers that is $85 for the cleaning and check up rather then the $179 I paid.

Cote st Luc and Sherbroke W is a little far for me if I were to hit traffic would never make it to an apt. as I am 12 km from the ont border. but I really thank you for your referals. but was looking more for West Island.
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Wow, I don't know any under $125. I think mine charges $170.