Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM

Is this thread still active?

Hi I am wondering if this thread is still active as I am working on trying to get gas Chambers banned in Canada and came upon this discussion, I would love to join forces!!
Old October 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForpetsMarti View Post
Hi I am wondering if this thread is still active as I am working on trying to get gas Chambers banned in Canada and came upon this discussion, I would love to join forces!!
The thread may not be active but this movement is going forward in Quebec. If you want to get involved to learn more, I can forward you to someone that is very involved.
I have found during the years that there are SPCAs that are using this method. Infact, there is one that is not so far from Ottawa (on the QC side).
The mandate here is that the use of this method will continue and will be looked at once again in 5 years time. Does not sound hopeful does it.
PM me and I will connect you with someone that is involved more so than I am now. I have not given up however I have hit so many brick walls.
Old October 21st, 2011, 09:12 PM

BenMax :)

Hi! Thanks for your quick reply, I definitely want all the connections I can get!! I have recently become involved in this via Facebook, just after I found out about gas chambers from a U.S. anti-gas-chamber page. I have a page called Take Action 2! Ban Gas Chambers in Canada and have been working on it with the help from the U.S. page. They actually just succeeded in getting a Whitehouse petition filled and overfilled with signatures and will be getting a government review, which is a big success for them and hopefully good will come from it. I've been pushing a Canadian petition on my page found on the Care2 petition site but don't know who started it or how long it's been there for. I'd love to know the SPCA close to me, I've been planning a trip to one past Montreal that I found out has a gas chamber but if I could get closer proof that would be excellent. Canadians in whole are skeptical about their existence in Canada. Luckily the Elliot Lake chamber protest just happened recently so it gained some exposure there! Hoping for the same results everywhere! Thanks!!! So happy to have found this site. Can't wait to hear back from you
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Send me a PM and I will give you my email address. From there, I will connect you a person who can hopefully answer any of your questions. I will also let you know what I know and maybe this will help you find out more.

It is a difficult subject, there is not alot of support. People have no idea what their municipal pounds are doing. I don't think they care.

I know one thing for sure, animals are suffering. This is no way to die.
Thank you for your interest in this subject matter. I am hoping that more people get involved to stop this.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

http://takeactionnow.be/index.html

The site is Take Action Ban Animal Gas Chambers. It's in the U.S. The petition you are asked to sign is current. This may be of interest to our U.S. members, and Canadian of course. Graphic photos and videos.

Benmax, maybe folks who organized this would be of help to you?
Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:19 PM

Hi, I'm new to forums and don't know how to PM?? lol sorry BenMax I didn't know what you meant the first time!

I have a page on FB that I started with Take Action U.S. but it is the Canada division, a sister page...check it out! It's called:
Take Action 2! - Ban Gas Chambers in Canada.
We're both working together now to try to ban this horror in all of North America. There is a Canadian petition going as well.

Thanks BenMax and Longblades
Old October 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM

Thumbs up Lets Get Rid of Gas Chambers!

Hi BenMax I have sent you two PMs but my sent message folder says zero sent! I don't know what I'm doing wrong...? My FB page Take Action 2! is getting signatures on the Canadian petition more than ever now we'd love any info possible...Take Action U.S. is lending tremendous support! We can do this!!!
Old October 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM

gas chambers

I am a person who was directly involved with the recent gas chamber situation in Elliot Lake and I notice that this has come up in your thread . It would appear that from this thread that you feel that things in Elliot Lake are OK - not so - they are improved in that the gas chamber is no longer in use for "domestic animals" but in a council resolution one of our councilors changed the original resolution to do away with the gas chamber entirely to read "for domestic animals only:'. This left wild life still subjected to the gas chamber. We had presented to Council an alternative i.e. a Pest Control Officer someone who would either remove wildlife out of the area or if necessary was licensed to euthanise humanely. These alternatives were ignored by our Council so the gas chamber remains in Elliot Lake. We are grateful that our cats and dogs will no longer be gassed but we are concerned that wildlife is still being subjected to this inhumane treatment when an alternative has been offered. I would like to join your effort in banning all gas chambers and also to hear your comments on why wildlife should still be subjected to this archaic and inhumane form of killing and what we can do about it.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Finally there are people that are taking this seriously.
Thank you.
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Just wondering if this thread is going and if there is any information regarding the # of pounds or other organizations that still gas. Are there any petitions being circulated in Canada or anything being done to bring attention to this matter - how do we go about publicising it. I know that in Elliot Lake we did have some success just by people power alone - see my previous comment - I don't think that many municipalities still use gas - but perhaps I am wrong. Anyway there is still work to be done in Elliot Lake too as they are still using it for wildlife - as far as I know. Does anyone have any information on what is being done in Canada.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
After extracting animals from pounds that kill using the gas chamber as a 'method' to exterminate - I have decided to do something about this. I need statitics from every province on how many pounds cover the province and what methods of euthanisia they are using. Also important is what pounds are covering what municipalities. It appears that the authorities do not want to divulge this information - or they just do not have it because they just do not care. I do and so should we all.

Please stand next to me on this project. I plan on exposing this to the media and will plea to the government. Enough of grumbling about this, it's time to take action. I rather go in with data then sit on my hands.

Can anyone assist in this matter in the name of our animals?

Thank you.
BenMax

BM, I worked in the Chatham humane society in the late 1970's, they had a gas chamber there and it was awful! I don't know if they still use it though.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 31st, 2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
After extracting animals from pounds that kill using the gas chamber as a 'method' to exterminate - I have decided to do something about this. I need statitics from every province on how many pounds cover the province and what methods of euthanisia they are using. Also important is what pounds are covering what municipalities. It appears that the authorities do not want to divulge this information - or they just do not have it because they just do not care. I do and so should we all.

Please stand next to me on this project. I plan on exposing this to the media and will plea to the government. Enough of grumbling about this, it's time to take action. I rather go in with data then sit on my hands.

Can anyone assist in this matter in the name of our animals?

Thank you.
BenMax

Yes, I just heard of this recently.. Please let me know how can I help?
Old October 31st, 2011, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ticia View Post
Yes, I just heard of this recently.. Please let me know how can I help?
There is a few people on facebook page that are working on this subject.
We cannot get things going on this site so everything moved there.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,I was totally in the dark about gas-chambers and I am glad people are speaking up about this horrid practise.
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
BenMax,I was totally in the dark about gas-chambers and I am glad people are speaking up about this horrid practise.
All people need to do is ask their city hall who has the contract, contact the AC or human society and simply ask how they euthanize.