Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2007, 07:24 AM

Is this humping or hip problems?

This maybe silly, but I am a first time dog owner, never had much to do with dogs. My only experience with this sort of thing was with a very small dog many years ago humping the leg of a friend and shooed away. With regards to my Keekee, my question is: Is he humping or is this a seizure or an arthritic condition? This only occurs in the morning after a nights sleep. He's 1 1/2 year old shepherd, 90 lbs. Not every morning, but a few mornings per month I will greet him at the gate, (he sleeps on the kitchen floor) and he will start what I am terming humping, but basically he is in a standing position, with his legs in the stance he takes when defecating, slightly apart in a hunched back position, and his hips thrusting forwared and back again, over and over. He will walk around the kitchen floor doing this and then meet me at the back kitchen door to be let out to do his morning business. Like I stated, I am assuming this is basically a dog humping...is that correct? I have looked for fluid on the floor to clean up but there isn't any. Would there be? I mentioned to this to his vet when he was about 8 months old and she wasn't sure but did notice he was sensitive near his back end and didn't like being messed with. Over the months, I have felt his legs, his hip joints without the snipping he was demonstrating with the vet. She suggested we take xrays of his hips, he would have to be put under for it and I declined at that time. This past July, the subject came up again and once again I declined. I had read that any xrays should be taken at 2 years old. So, a few mornings a month, he does this thing, and I am not sure if it's normal, if it's humping or a sign of hip problems, arthritis, or a seizure of some sort. He doesn't cry or appear in pain at all. Can someone please lead me to where I could find out more about this behavior to determine whether it is normal or not. He's a big dog, and I never saw this before, nor have I ever seen dogs mating really so I am not sure what this looks like...if that is what this is. Please advise.
Old September 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM
-

Welcome to pets.ca !

Is he neutered? When he is in action, is his penis unsheathed?
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:11 AM

Yes, Keekee is nuetered. That was a part of the condition of adopting him from the humane society. That occurred at 3, 31/2 months of age. I haven't looked down there to see if his penis comes out-while that is happening. In fact, I have seen other dogs penis come out when petted on their heads during the pet training I have him involved in at the pet store, but I have never seen his penis come out at all, ever...and it is not like there is a lot hanging on him either. It seems some dogs you can tell by just a side view that their males. Not with Keekee, which has had others ask me if he was a girl. He also doesn't left his leg while urinating which is what I thought all dogs do, but he doesn't. I saw that many people viewed my post here, but didn't answer as rapidly, like when I asked about KeeKee having real bad gas from pupperoni a month or two back. This isn't some joke. I feel very ignorant about asking questions like these, and could use a bit of knowledge in this area. I just don't want to put him and my pocketbook through x-rays, if what is occurring is natural. Does what I am explaining sound like hip displasia or other hip problems, or is this mother nature?
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:29 AM
-

Please don't be offended that more people haven't answered your post. Most people are at work or school. And even I have to admit, your dog's problem is unusual but I honestly don't think anyone is looking at it as a joke.

I doubt very much it's dysplasia. Dogs with dysplasia are in pain when they move their hips so humping isn't something they want to or can do.

Based on your description and when this occurs, I was thinking more in the lines of nerve compression or nerve stimulation in his penis caused by a large piece of feces in his bowel.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Kitty pimp

he ony does it occasionally and it seems there is no pain involved

I would say he's ok and maybe just a habit

If it was me though i would get an x ray at my next scheduled visit

lol pepperoni and dogs i had a mutt that was crazzzy for slami and pepperoni i swear his wind was toxic after he ate that
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Even neutered dogs have the humping 'urge' now and then. Mainly they use it in displays of dominance--and I have seen them go through the motion you describe when their 'target' isn't within reach. So it may just be a displaced humping motion. It does not sound like a typical behavior due to dysplasia...at least I've not noticed it in any of the dysplastic dogs I've known.

Sure wouldn't hurt to mention it at the vet, though, if only for your peace of mind!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
-

I find it odd that it only happens in the morning before he goes out for his constitutional.
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Red face Oh My!

I am so glad I wrote in because that helped me to know what to look for! Yesterday, my husband and I left the house for a few hours, and when we got home, Keekee was getting up from a nap and my husband witnessed the behavior too. I didn't get a chance then to look at his underside...but I did just a few minutes ago. This morning my husband let him outside. No behavior shown. I let him in a bit later after playing fetch some...no behavior shown. Keekee evidently took a nap when I went out to do some errands. I got home and once I walked in he started this again! He seems to be doing it more and more! I pulled back his hind leg a bit to see if I could view his penis unsheathed, and sure enough, it was sticking out as he continued to move his hips. Oh my. I feel so ignorant, but I genuinely worried that he was doing this to "wake up" his hind end in an effort to stand...as if he was having some difficulty of some sort.

Thanks to all that responded. I think this is a simple case of Keekee becoming a grown up dog, and displaying behaviors matched to the growing process. Since I saw the underside of him, I thank goodness that's all that this is.