Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Help finding the right dog

Hope I put this in the right area. If not I do apologize. Anyone who has followed my posts knows that last month we lost of beloved Shih Poo, Mackenzie due to meningitis. We were told that we did everything possible but this was something that could not have been prevented. Our initial response was "no more dogs", but lately we have realized that that are home is not complete without another dog to keep us company. So we look for help here and maybe some suggestions. We are both in our mid 60's, are basically home people who go shopping a couple of times a week and other than the occasional walk are here in our condo the rest of the time. We are looking for a small dog, no more than 15-20 pounds, enjoys playing with toys, does not bark a lot and is easy to train. We have a list already of 5-6 dogs but are curious as to what others might suggest.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Are you active walkers? If not look at a mature french bulldog or a boston terrier. Nice temperments, playful, quiet most of the time, short hair, no grooming. Weigh between 15-25 lbs.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you thought about a cat. Siamese make great companions.........
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Have you thought about a cat. Siamese make great companions.........
Siamese are wonderful cats indeed..very dog like.

If cats are not of interest, then I would recommend contacting a rescue group, give them full disclosure about your lifestyle and they should be able to find the right match should you qualify. Most dogs (and cats if that interest you) are in a foster home and they can provide you tons of information to an animal that you may be interested in. You will no doubt find the perfect match this way.

Best of luck to you.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Sorry, we are not "cat people" My wife has had dogs all her life and would prefer a dog.
We are not active walkers as we both suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Did I mention that we were looking for a puppy?
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
Sorry, we are not "cat people" My wife has had dogs all her life and would prefer a dog.
We are not active walkers as we both suffer from plantar fasciitis.
Did I mention that we were looking for a puppy?
If you are limited in exercise, then a puppy is not a great choice. They require active people in order to develop into well balanced teenagers and adults. To me, I don't think it fair for a puppy not to get alot of exercise and mental stimulation while doing it. That is simply my opinion. You may have a hard time then finding a rescue that would accomodate you in a puppy if certain criterias are not fulfilled.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

garyb, I think you and your wife could find a wonderful one to two year old dog through a rescue group with no problem. That way the dog is already socialized and trained and more ready to settle into your quiet lifestyle. I agree with BM that while puppies are wonderful, they do require a lot more socializing and stimulation that comes from being out and about. Check out the petfinder site in your area and see what type of dogs are available. A crossbreed is always just as wonderful as a purebred. Please be very careful of backyard breeders and don't buy a puppy at a pet store whatever you do. BenMax can probably help you source a rescue, she has a world of knowledge in that area.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:48 AM

Thanks, if BenMAx could suggest rescue sights in or around the Toronto area that would be great. Neither my wife nor I drive on the highway, me because of a medical condition with my neck and her just because she is terrified to drive on the highway.
Sadly as we read more I think we realize that our last dog was purchased from back yard breeder. Although we did have him checked out with the vet before we actually purchase him. And will not purchase from a pet store.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I've PMd BenMax and asked her to get in touch with you. Good luck in your search, a rescue is a wonderful and loving pet.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I will provide you with a list of great rescues. They do home visits so I am sure many will come to you. Keep in mind, that not all rescues will adopt very willingly. You really must meet certain requirements which I am certain that you do.

Just a note: I am now 45 years old, healthy and active (kind of). I have always adopted dog that are 3+ years as a minimum requirement and also had and still have great consideration on the breed that I will 'permit' myself to have based on my activity level and lifestyle. I do this because I need to make sure that I do not have a dog that requires tons of exercise and is also easy to handle only based again on what I can and cannot offer a fur companion.

Excuse me for being terribly ignorant perhaps, but based on your medical profile please consider taking on an older pet. They are just as rewarding as any other.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

GaryB,my husband and I are in our mid-60's live a relatively active lifestyle,love the outdoors,but were we to adopt a dog,he would definitely have to be older.
There are thousands of loving grown dogs,who for no fault of their own end up in a shelter.

You and your wife should visit a few shelters,meet different dogs,maybe even take them for a walk,if allowed and you would see for yourself,how grateful they are for any attention.
Maybe you would even fall in love.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
GaryB,my husband and I are in our mid-60's live a relatively active lifestyle,love the outdoors,but were we to adopt a dog,he would definitely have to be older.
There are thousands of loving grown dogs,who for no fault of their own end up in a shelter.

You and your wife should visit a few shelters,meet different dogs,maybe even take them for a walk,if allowed and you would see for yourself,how grateful they are for any attention.
. I so agree Chico2. Even though I am 45 years old, I would never adopt a puppy as I have to assume that the lifespan is 15 years. That would take me to 60 and if I continue smoking like I do...I may not make it that far. Really for this reason, I adopt older animals as well.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Gary, I adopted a six year old Shih Tzu in March and it was the best thing I ever did. She does not need a lot of exercise, though I do walk her in the park every day, but that is more for me and her enjoyment than need for her. She doesn't bark. she loves sitting outside on the patio with me and the other dog. she is a wonderful dog.

Good luck.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

BM,that's how I feel too,I am hoping I will outlive my cats,at 14,13 and 8 yrs old,but chances are I will not
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Psttt..I know where you can get a little poodle..3 years old spayed and up to date on needles... Any small dog would be happy with you.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
We are both in our mid 60's, are basically home people who go shopping a couple of times a week and other than the occasional walk are here in our condo the rest of the time. We are looking for a small dog, no more than 15-20 pounds, enjoys playing with toys, does not bark a lot and is easy to train. We have a list already of 5-6 dogs but are curious as to what others might suggest.
As was mentioned earlier, I, too, vote older dog. Not only you are older yourself, you live in a condo.. housetraining a puppy will be a tremendous undertaking physically as well as mentally. Owning a puppy is like having a baby: accidents, chewing etc... And while the joy of owning a puppy is quite irresistible, I am sure you will get quite fed up with having to constantly clean up after one.

BenMax is very right. You need to also ask yourself what it is you can GIVE a dog, rather than just what it is YOU want. That is how pets end up in shelters over and over again, is when people suddenly realize they can't handle the dog.
In response to your breed question: your requirements are really more of a temperament rather than a breed...You could have a perfect quiet little poodle, or a yappy one that will drive you and your neighbours nuts.. You should really aim for the character and the temperament of the dog, rather than breed. However, having said that, some breeds are more hyper than others, for instance Jack Russell terriers, they are just a ball of neverending energy, and while this can be cute for a while, this dog will get bored if not stimulated physically AND mentally, and will find ways to entertain itself...You would not believe the amount of destruction that can be caused by a bored Jack Russell, I speak from a personal experience...

To summarize, I think you should work with a rescue, to match you with a dog that is perfect for you AND your lifestyle. Have a few breeds in mind and look for one that will connect with you...
Good Luck
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:45 AM

Can't add much here as a lot of great advice has already been given. But, do keep us posted with your search, garyb!

It can take some time to find the perfect dog, but it will happen and it will be so worth it! I know at the humane society we have people that come in multiple times to spend time with the dogs one-on-one to find that perfect match for their home. It can take some time, and it will usually take a few days at least for the rescue to review your application and process it, but it's such a great feeling being able to provide a home for a dog that truly needs it. I do hope you choose to go with a rescue.

Petfinder is a great resource for finding a dog to add to your home. You can specify age, sex, gender, breed etc.

Like others here, I think an adult or senior dog would fit into your lifestyle perfectly.

Good luck!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:54 AM

I want to thank everybody so much for their help and advise. As my wife and I will spend a great deal of time looking into several different options and hopefully sometime in the spring or early summer we will be able to post a picture of the newest addition to our family.
Again, we both thank you so very much for all your help and assistance during our time of grieving.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Garyb I live in downtown Toronto and if you want I do not have a car but if you would like I could drive your car and take you wherever you would like to see potential rescues. Pm me if you would like to take me up on my offer. I am finishing this documentary on the 10th and will be free hopefully not for too long
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

What a great idea, chico

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree a puppy is too much work. I think a 2 year old dog would be great. Love the idea of a French Bulldog could be ideal fit
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for your most generous off. We do have a car, but we are going to wait until at least spring before we make any decision. We have a great deal of research to do and a lot of grieving left in our hearts before we actually decide how to proceed.
Again mastifflover, thanks for your offer. It only goes to show how much dog lovers really care, not only for their pets but for people who love their pets as well.
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Well the offer stands when you are ready
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:45 AM

again, I thank you so very much.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here's a great place to start.

http://www.petfinder.com/index.html

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 1st, 2010, 10:01 PM
Catlover2

A friend of mine just got a rescue Papillon, and she is a darling little dog lap dog always wanting to be with her. Very well behaved, obedient and quiet, not yappy at all. Has a nice silky non-matting type of coat that just needs a comb run through it, no grooming like with a poodle or schnauzer. My brother got a rescue Cockapoo, and he's a very sweet dog too, quiet, and obedient. They're smitten with him. Both these people are seniors too.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:42 AM

thanks catlover2. Do you know if they get both from the same place. if so, where and if not from which two places?
Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:47 AM

but a Pug of course....

Firstly condolences on the loss of your beloved dog. This is not an easy thing and certainly takes time. You are clearly moving forward with your decision to add another family member when you are ready.

While again rescues are the first choice through reputable organisations if you want a breed recommendation my vote is Pug (BTW there are also pug rescues). Its all Good, Good, Good. No loud barking, lots of love, friendly with people and dogs alike and great couch potatoes (awesome in the winter). But yes, all dogs require some exercise.

The only thing is, you need to be ready for a mascot who will sleep on your head (if allowed on the bed) snore and snort and follow you everywhere. For me this is sheer joy, but its all subjective.

I wish you the best of luck in your search and I hope that with time you are able to gain closure and know that you did everything you could for your little friend who is now at rest.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:45 PM

GaryB I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dog. I'm sure it will be a few months before you feel ready to take on a new member of your family. However, you may also run across one that just grabs your heart and your decision will be made very quickly.

My last two dogs have been senior rescues but a senior is not for everyone. I based my choice for a senior on my lifestyle and the fact I don't want the dog to outlive me. Everyone has to make the decision for themselves for what age of dog will fit into their lifestyle. In my experience most small dogs under 15 lbs can get enough exercise running around a condo, but they all like their walks for socialization.

There are many excellent all breed rescue groups as well as specific breed rescues. As everyone has mentioned http://www.petfinder.com/ is a great place to find a list of these rescue organizations as well as a place to find the dogs they have in their shelters. The link I gave is to the list of organizations in the Toronto area. Many have young dogs, even puppies who have been born while in their care.

All rescue organizations listed on the Petfinder site have to be screened before they are listed so it is extremely unlikely you would find a puppy mill or backyard breeder registered there.

In my experience all reputable rescue organizations have a mandatory home visit before they will adopt one of their animals, so if you can't make it to them they will likely come to you. However it is always good to see where the dog is living now before choosing your forever companion. A lot of rescue organizations have their dogs in foster homes rather than have a shelter where the animals are housed.

I wish you good luck when you are ready to adopt, it has usually taken me 6 months before I am ready to accept another dog into my heart and home but everyone is different when they are grieving.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Catlover2

Quote:
thanks catlover2. Do you know if they get both from the same place. if so, where and if not from which two places?
My brother got his Cockapoo from a rescue place north of Calgary, AB. My friend got her Pap from a Papillon breeder somewhere east of Peterborough, ON . If you're interested I could ask her for the name and send you a Private Message (PM).

There is also a Papillon Rescue organization in Canada: http://www.papilloncanada.org/rescue.htm