Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old September 2nd, 2006, 04:15 PM

parrots

I have a parrot and just wondered who else here has one? mine is a double yellow headed amazon, about 3 years old and is just stating to yellow up
Old September 2nd, 2006, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi, Can you put up a picture...I'm curious about what a "Double Yellow Headed" one would look like
Old September 3rd, 2006, 05:18 AM

il try get one soon, his head has not matured fully yet but is well on it way.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't have one either,but a friend of mine has 5 cats and 2 birds,the birds are amazing,love each other to bits.
He has his whole house rigged for the birds,hanging thingies all over the ceiling they are never in their cage.
Here's a pic of them..not a very good one though.
Attached Images

Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

http://zachary.avianavenue.com/WorldAmazons.html

This link will show you what they look like. They are also referred to as Magna Yellow headed depending on the markings I believe? Gorgeous birds.

Chico, that parrot is lovely. I"m a large bird fan but unfortunately my DH does not feel the same way or I would most likely have one as I've been offered several through the years.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:38 AM

yes they are lovely birds, weve had to amazon parrots now, the first one was a blue fronted amazon and never went in his cage but one day when the window-cleaner can he open the door and the parrot flew out, we did find the parrot 6 miles away at the other side of the valley, unfortunatly he would not come back to us. the parrot we have got now satys in its cage through the day when we are away and flies around during the evening when we are there. we later found out, the person who we bought the first parrot off had just been jailed for goin to the amazon, catching them, smugling them back and selling them. Our new one is definatly hand reared. we named the second parrot the same as the first so he would replace him, his name is jasper. the window-cleaner was sacked. but we still had to pay £1000 pound for a new parrot and cage, we got a new cage as it was bigger as he would spend most of his time in there
Old September 6th, 2006, 03:55 PM

I love the amazons,the colours are gorgeous.The yellow heads are amazing talkers,I know one who sings opera.We've got two greys,Hawkeye is a seven year old congo and Oscar is twenty year old timneh.They both talk but Oscar likes doing sounds more,smoke detector,microwave,dogs,cats etc.
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

The green Parrot(Bowser) in my pic,when he was alone,was miserable and aggresive although he hardly ever was in his cage.
When my friend got the other bird($150 cage and bird)Bowser right away started grooming him/her and became as sweet as can be.
The other bird,now looks totally different,has all his feathers and head-comb back,it's been a wonderful thing to see.
The 2 birds are like 2 peas in a pod,just love each other:love:
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:05 AM

are the birds still attached to you as sometimes when you have 2 birds they dont think of you any more??
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

They are not my birds,but Bowser was very antisocial before and my friend rather have Bowser happy with a friend and he certainly is
Old September 8th, 2006, 03:35 PM

Thumbs up

good its probably better for the bird, as long as hes well
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:21 AM

Smile

We have an african grey congo, we call him Nala. This one is quite the talker and at times has us laughing so hard we have to leave the room.
It's like he can understand what you are saying and gives you a reply.
We have had Nala since he was weened as a chick and he is now close to 3.
He Immitates the cell phones, big & little dog barks, the kids screaming or crying, different people's voices & conversations between my husband & his boss on the two way phone. He got out a couple of months ago & I was so worried, we had bad storms & rain. Someone saw him in a tree and he flew down when the guy put his arm out. We then found out he was a he not a she as I was calling the poor thing. I have heard some horror stories about these birds and this one is great. I think the way they are depends on their daily life. We live with kids fighting, dogs barking etc. Nala adjusted very well.
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Dear Prudie,
I have a problem with a parrot we acquired nearly six months ago, something my husband has wanted for a long time. We talked about it, studied, and bought from a reputable breeder. This is not something we did lightly, considering the cost and lifespan. However, after trying to adjust to the bird for several months, I find I simply detest her. My husband keeps her with him all the time and absolutely adores her. I can't get a free moment with him without this bird being in the way! On top of that, she poops everywhere. My worst fear is that she'll go neurotic, as some parrots are said to do, when my husband, who's in the military, is deployed. He's creating a winged monster with all this attention and I'll never be able to keep up. I ask him to leave her in her cage (a bird mansion) now and then (dinner time), but he gets defensive, even angry. It's almost to the point where I want to say the bird needs to go entirely, except he's so happy with her. How do I resolve this conflict?

—Flying the Coop

Dear Flying,
It's one thing to agree to get a challenging pet. It's another to have your husband's love object flying around defecating on your dinner. Surely when you studied what life with a bird would be like, none of the sources you consulted recommended giving it unlimited run of the house. In addition, you must have contemplated that you would be alone with Polly once your husband is deployed. Unfortunately, many of these amazing, intelligent creatures are abused, neglected, and abandoned because they are so demanding and long-lived. Since you have made the commitment to this bird, you need to get your husband to honor some basic rules. If you don't have a veterinarian who specializes in birds, get one, and have a talk about how to have a civilized life while living with a parrot (this Web site is also full of good parrot resources). If your husband refuses all entreaties to accommodate your needs, then in addition to a bird behaviorist, you need a human one to help him stop giving you the bird and put his marriage first.

—Prudie