Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM

Question looking for opinions?

Hi,
I have a very shy, loving 2.5 year old male whippet.
He is a pure breed champion.
I have been told he is too shy to breed, although it was never my intention.
He is just a wonderful house pet and companion.
He is easily thruamitized. I went on vacation for a week and left him with friends who he knew and had been to their house for several visits and sleepovers before but it took a week or so for him to be his old self once i got home. I understand that having him neutured is good for his longlife and health. i am afraid I will scare him bigtime taking him to the vet overnight for surgery.He meets other dogs in the park but always leased. Should I get him fixed?
anne:0)
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:49 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Correct, having him sterilized is good for his health on top of preventing any "oops" litters

You don't have to keep him overnight at the vets, as long as you follow protocol (no eating after 6pm) etc you can bring him in the morning, sign a waiver and bring him home the same day.

Good luck
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM

Yes, absolutely. Male pets go through it much easier, as it is a much less invasive surgery. It will be to his health benefit in the future. You may ask your vet for a tranquilizer pill before you take him in. Small dogs do have fears. I know my mum's bichon frizee was scared of the wind. Your dog is so lucky to have found such wonderful caring people. Maybe another dog or a cat would make him feel more secure? My two female cats sleep together and are not alone when I go out.
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yep, you definately should have him neutered. There are lots of health benefits as well as knowing you won't contribute to any accidental breedings. Lots of other dogs are also quite agressive to unneutered dogs as well so that will help your guy from maybe being picked on.

My dogs have never overnighted for a neuter. In my opinion I wouldn't like to leave my animal overnight anyway as unless it is a 24hour clinic there is nobody around if there are complications .