Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 2nd, 2015, 10:39 AM

New in Canada and I really need some help!

Hi everyone.

I have introduced myself in the "Introduce yourself forum" .

My name is Chris and my little one's name is Balou.

Where should I start from....My dog is about 3 years old.She went through a very serious surgery in Greece because of some plastic pieces and other things that she ate,her thin intestine had to be cut and about 20 cm removed.

She fought with a 50% chance and I fought with her.I was constantly by her side,every day for 3 weeks holding her in my hands,praying and talking to her,that she would live.And she did....

So I love my little one (as all of us!) a lot!!!

Well she landed here and as you know everything is very different here.I have some questions and need some help please.Balou has had some issues before coming here.

She has been having a problem with her left ear 2 years now.It eventually was diagnosed with malassezia and she underwent treatment before she came here.I recently noticed a small patch (I will provide photos below) on her neck and a small cyst (?) on her ear (inner part).

I called my vet in Greece and he said that it is a food allergy.With her treatment in Greece she was also given Hypoallergenic dog food.After that and before the treatment I was giving her Hills Science-plan which is one of the worst (as I've read) dog foods so I got her Acana.The pet shop assured me it was one of the best dog foods in Canada.She had no problem with it.She started eating it immediately and she loves it.

Also she is constantly licking her paw,especially the right one,scratching the sides of her muzzle also.I checked (and also my vet in Greece) and there is absolutely nothing on neither.

Talking to my vet she said that it is food allergy and probably malassaizia and I should try a treatment with the 3 below medications.

I still treat her ear with EASOTIC http://www.virbacvet.com/products/de...nsion-for-dogs
Epi-otic http://www.virbacvet.com/products/de...otitis-externa
and Hibitane http://www.drugs.com/vet/hibitane-sk...anser-can.html

My questions:

1.I need to find a store(?) where I can find all 3 of these products
2.I really need to find a veterinarian or a pet doctor
3.Is it safe to take her outside because of the difference in the weather and salt etc
4.I need to cut her nails.She used to let us but now,there is no way to do it.Is there a place that does that?
5.Should I discontinue her food and try a Hypo-allergic one and which one should I try?
What other things should I watch out for,here in Canada?

You have to understand that because I'm new here and starting from scratch,I need something that my little budget can afford...

Pictures from her neck:

on her ear:

she also vomited (once in all this time here) Could this be from her food or just something random?

Thank you so much in advance,for any help!!!

Chris
Old March 2nd, 2015, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sure you will have to go through a Vet to get the Hibitane as it was recommended to me for my dog and I researched it. Just my luck, it is now a restricted item in Canada and only available through a Vet. So said my own local pharmacy which was unable to order it for me, even if I had a Rx. I don't use it, I found a horse shampoo I use instead.

I'm guessing but I think you will need a Vet for all those products, for sure for the one, so you might as well get yourself set up with a Vet sooner than later. A Vet specializing in Dermatology might be the best route for Balou.

I think we have some people on the board from Toronto who might recommend a Vet. Till someone comes on this Vet rating link might be some help.

http://www.vetratingz.com/searchResu...zip=&radius=30

WElcome to the board.
Old March 3rd, 2015, 09:47 AM

Thank you for the link.Very informative.

So,here in Canada you have to pay for an appointment,so the vet doctor can subscribe you to medication that your dog is already taking?

Can someone tell me how much does an appointment approximately cost please?
Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

It is illegal for a Vet here to prescribe for a dog they have not seen. So you will need to set up an initial appt. and I'm not in Toronto but I think it's safe to say a lot of big city prices are higher. After that first appt. my own Vet will renew Rx without a visit but some won't. My friend's Vet won't even look at her dog if she doesn't keep up on vaccinations. Mine just did dental surgery on a cat out of date on her rabies. There is no reason you can't call the clinics closest to you and ask about these things.