Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:12 PM

Weimaraner rescue

Dear All,
I wasn't going to post this as it makes me look like a bad mum, but we can all laugh now.
In October 2 years ago, we took our Weimaraner Wil for a hike in the hills, it started off quite cool and we had only been going for about 2 hours, we had plenty of water, but all of a sudden the weather changed and it was hot and humid.
Wil decided he didn't want to walk anymore and collapsed under a tree. We poured water over him and tried to keep him cool. We had to ring the mountian rescue team as there was no way he was walking down by himself. I was really frightened and had called my vet to get ready for us to bring him in for a check up etc, it was Sunday so you can imagine the cost!
Anyway, after about an hour the rescue team arrived 8 firemen and 4 paramedics. They didn't bring a stretcher or anything and had to carry him by using two of the firement jackets.
It took them about 2 hours to walk down, they kept trying to put him down to see if he would walk, he wouldn't. So when we arrived at the path where the ambulance had parked they put the dog into the back with us and drove us to the entrance of the country park.
This is when it got embarrasing, all these people had been waiting to see what had happended, you know the big crowd thing, well the doors were opened, Wil jumped out, cocked his leg, had a huge wee and then went to our car! We couldn't believe it and felt really bad for all the time and effort the rescue team had made.
They thought it was really funny and they asked us to take him into the firestation so they could see him again.
We took him to the vets and he was fine, a little stiff and had slight heat stoke. We let him rest for as long as he liked and he was soon begging to chase after sticks etc.
The whole thing didn't cost us a penny and we couldn't have been more grateful if we tried.
We did however learn not to walk him again like tht until the weather is truly cooler in Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb.
Have a look at the pictures!
Attached Images

Old September 20th, 2004, 11:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Those pics are so precious!!! And glad to hear it was a false alarm!
Old September 20th, 2004, 11:51 PM

He looks so funny with his front legs through the arms of the jacket!!
He's a smart puppy!!
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I would say he is one smart beautiful puppy,why walk if you can be carried
Beautiful scenery by the way,HK stands for what????Hong Kong???
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:33 AM

That is a very funny story! And those pics are precious! He looks adoreable with his legs hanging through the sleeves! He also looks like he's having a GRAND time!!
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Great story and pics and what a smart dog not to have to walk back. Glad it all turned out okay
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:24 AM

That is too funny he looks so cute and he is smart i would rather be carried by a fireman than walk anyday Did you take him back to the station for a visit?
Old September 21st, 2004, 10:31 AM

All I can say is ...ROTFLMAO!

Too cute!
Old September 21st, 2004, 07:19 PM

Smile

Thanks for all the replies. I think he is quite smart, some things he does, he sits in the back of my car with one paw on the head rest in front leaning on the door with his head out of the window.
HK does stand for Hong Kong and we have some excellent walks here, 80% of HK is country parks, beaches etc.
I did take him back a couple of times to see the firemen, but they change station from time to time and new people come and go. We always send them a Christmas card though!

Last edited by weimaraner; September 21st, 2004 at 07:46 PM. Reason: more information
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Your story and pix are toooo funny! Sounds like they were really nice guys! My mom was born and grew up in HK. Lived there 16 years. The family was evacuated out just just before the Japanese invaded.