Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
<3 XOXOXO <3

Exclamation I don't know what to do????

I was looking on Petfinder and I came across this little female puppy up for adoption. She is at a rescue. I fell in LOve with her as soon as I saw her picture! I have 2 dogs already and 3 kids. My Lexi I bought from a breeder but after being on this forum I decided that my next animal would be a rescue. I live in Ontario and this rescue is in Michigan. They do adopt to canadians. The fee is $550 dollers and I assume it is American. My Husband said if I can come up with the money I can have her.(as long as everything works out)

My Question is am I crazy for wanting her? She is beautiful It was definatly love at first site!!! But maybe I would be getting in over my head?
Please help me I need advice

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

The only thing I have to add is that there are a lot of dogs in Eastern Canada to adopt...dogs that you and your family can go visit (or foster to make sure everything is a good fit) without such hassles as our fine American friends have set up for us and make sure they are good with your family.

I guess I am a believer in taking care of our own first.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Firstly - that is a crazy amount of money for a rescue dog. For me, this is an alarm as there is a profit being made on this pup. I assume the pup is coming unsterilized so find out if this cost covers the sterilization fee (money back) from this rescue.

Are they 'shipping' the dog? How are they doing so. Is there an application form? Will you get all vetting transcripts? Has this pup been innoculated for everything? Is the dog in a foster home or boarding facility? What happens if the dog arrives to you ill? What happens if this dog does not get along with your dogs well? Do they take back the 'returns' and if so how?

If they are shipping this pup via airplane without checking into your references or if they do not have a representive here in Canada (Ontario in your case) - STAY AWAY.

Not all those that post on petfinder are legitimate rescues. Find out all the questions above and you will come to the right conclusion. Also, find out if this is cash, cheque etc.....
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:49 PM
<3 XOXOXO <3

It is a Non-Profit organization they have a web page. They have an application form that asks for 3 references and my vet information. It is a 2 hour drive from my place. She is up to date with all her shots. She will have to be spayed as she is only 10 weeks old. As for the other questions I will have to work on. Thanks for that information.

I also thought the adoption fee was high. She is purbreed so I am not sure if that has something to do with it or not?

It is stated on her profile that she is good with children and other dogs.

Seth 13
Hunter 7
Emma 3

Reese 10 Years Chocolate Lab
Lexi 1 year English Bull Dog

Hammy (hamster)

Last edited by momsloopy; July 23rd, 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: added some more information
Old July 23rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Senior Contributor

No dog is a purebred without the actual paperwork to certify so. Regardless, rescue groups should not discriminate based on the breed. The adoption fee for one should be the same throughout.

The amount they are asking is ridiculous. Animal adoptions should be no more than $400.00 tops. Most are between $250-$375.

Really look into this before going.

In all truth, there are so many animals here that need homes desperately as well. I cannot tell you how many I am sending to Ontario. Luckily for me, not many Ontario Animal Controls, pounds and shelters are relinguishing dogs to rescues. I take advantage of this and send our Quebec dogs whom I have access to and send to a far superiour province that has the 'right' mentality.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsloopy View Post
It is stated on her profile that she is good with children and other dogs.

But, don't you want ot know if the pup is good with YOUR family?

Again, I would look locally.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
StangHer

My dog Bare came from an animal rescue. We were told he was a pure breed Australian Border Collie. (I never heard of a purebreed Australian Border Collie before)but it didn't matter to me. If I remember correctly we paid $150.00. He was already neutered, and it included his micro chip. The only problem I had after we got him home was that the rescue center told us he had been neutered maybe 7 or 8 months prior, but when I was brushing him out I noticed he still had his staples in his belly. I was able to remove all but one, that had gotten grown over. I took him to a vet to have it removed.
Rescue centers have so many dogs, I can only assume it's hard to keep track of all of their medical issues etc. If possible I'd take your others dogs and your kids to meet the animal at the rescue center and see how they interact with each other. And I'd also check him or her over very thoroughly.
Good Luck. I hope this helps.

P.S. I did find some breeders and I went to see their Pure Breed Australian Border Collies. They look just like Bare. So maybe he is a purebreed. I don't know for sure as he didn't come with papers. I was told the AKC dosen't recognize the breed is the reason for having no papers on him.
Any ideas on this?