Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 6th, 2010, 05:59 AM

My cat does not purr???

as far as i am aware he is perfectly healthy, he enjoys cuddles, and kneads our pillows like a kitten but NEVER purrs, he makes a very faint grunting sound and i am wondering maybe this is something to do with his breeding we think he may have some oriental in his blood as he has quite defined cheekbones, huge ears like a bat and is normally very vocal and makes strange noises in between a purr and a meow kind of like a guinea pig (we are not sure why he makes this sound but he does it quite a lot) he has had the snip, and is a mixed breed, any input would be gratefully received
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:04 AM

also he not a very large cat, especially for a male, but his poos are HUGE my dads rottweiler does smaller poos and this worries me as he doesnt eat more than he should and he goes every day its very worrying and they smell awful, he eats royal cainin indoor food thats supposed to reduce his poo an durine smell by 60% our other cat has never suffered with this problem but the vet says he is perfectly healthy
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I had a cat who did not purr. He was very lovable, but just didn't purr

As for his poops, what are you feeding him? If it isn't a quality food that is filled with "junk", then yes, his poops will be big because he is not digesting the "junk".

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 6th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooandgomez View Post
he eats royal cainin indoor food thats supposed to reduce his poo an durine smell by 60%
It seriously says that? (the "reducing smell by 60%" part?)

I think you might find that if you stopped feeding dry food, especially this poor quality one ("indoor" dry foods are some of the worst pet food products on the market - way too high in carbohydrates for an obligate carnivore), then your cat's poops will improve. A good wet food, whether grain-free canned - or even better - a balanced raw diet, are much more appropriate for our feline friends. Here is some info on why that is: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM

the food i feed him is supposedly one of the best cat foods on the market,its very expensive, high quality protein, taurine, all their requirements, we only feed him indoor to stop him getting overweight as he is an indoor cat and doesnt get much exersise, we were reccomended it by our vet. i dont feed him wet because the smell makes me ill, and our other cat eats the exact same food and she is perfectly healthy, her stools are normal, she is a good weight,
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a cat, Vlad, that doesn't purr much either. He only purrs on very very rare occasions. He's perfectly healthy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Catlover2

My boy purrs up a storm, but his half sister purrs (& drools!) tho silently. You can only feel the vibration on her throat. Both are very healthy.
Old August 6th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
the food i feed him is supposedly one of the best cat foods on the market,
That's what the marketers would like for you to believe, but their primary interest is $$$, not the health of your cat.

Quote:
its very expensive, high quality protein, taurine, all their requirements,
Expensive does not equal quality, especially in this case. Here are the main ingredients for this food:
Chicken meal, brown rice, rice, corn, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, natural flavors, pea fiber, wheat gluten, rice hulls, dried beet pulp, soybean oil, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate (zeolite), dried brewers yeast,...
The only meat protein is highly rendered chicken. Then you've got a ton of grains and useless fillers (rice hulls? seriously? ). This food may be appropriate for livestock, but it's not appropriate for cats.

Quote:
we only feed him indoor to stop him getting overweight as he is an indoor cat and doesnt get much exersise,
All of these "indoor" or "diet" or "hairball" formulas are purely gimics. In fact, your cat is actually more likely to gain weight on such a high-carb food. For cats, carbs = sugar, and sugar = weight gain. On top of that, eating such an excessive amount of carbs over a cat's lifetime all too often results in diabetes, dental disease, IBD, allergies.... The lack of moisture (10% or less) in kibble causes bladder and urinary tract issues, and can contribute to renal failure. So while you might think your cats are doing fine now, the long-term effects of such a diet may not become apparent until it's too late.

Quote:
we were reccomended it by our vet.
Most vets are woefully clueless about feline nutrition. They're only regurgitating the propaganda they've been fed by the pet food companies themselves. Some eye-opening reading for you: http://naturalcathealth.blogspot.com...ty-of-pet.html

Quote:
i dont feed him wet because the smell makes me ill,
Then try some other varieties of wet food (not all smell horrible, and I'd venture to say that the better ones should actually smell pretty good). Or look for some of the pre-made frozen raw products, which have no smell whatsoever. Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought kibble smells nastiest, and since people tend to leave it sitting out all day, it stinks up the whole room and they don't even notice.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Tags
cat, purring