Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ace and Ajax are free

After much debating back and forth and wondering if these two would ever be cats I could interact with I have made the decision to free them. At the moment they are both still in the garage hiding. I will leave food and water in the garage for them so they will never go hungry.
This decision was not made easily. I have tried over the last few months to make friends with them. I had got to the point where I thought maybe we were making some progress. Ace let me reach in as far as I could with a brush and somewhat brush him. Not without growling and hissing. But every morning when I went in to feed them or when I went in to spend time with them just talking I faced the same hisses and growls. This morning Ace came right at me.
It broke my heart to open the door and let them out but I think they will be happier being free. They are four and five years old. The feral life is all they ever knew before I trapped them. It is my hope they will stick around. Not so I can cage them again. Just so I can know that they are safe. :sad:
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM

So sorry to hear that. Hopefully they will stop by and visit and grab some food. Unfortunately they were probably very confused about being inside . Sometimes I wish cats could understand that what we do is for their benefit.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear that 14+, that must have been just heartbreaking for you . Some cats just can't be socialized with humans and will never be happy inside. I know your decision was for the best for them in order to give them a life they are happy with.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for them. But, since they know you have food and places for them to hide out, perhaps they won't go far.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry 14+K.:sad: On the bright side, they know who you are and also that you provide the yummies. I bet that they will stay close by.

You can only do what you can do! (I do recall someone saying that to me...)
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ mf I think you made the best decision for them both honestly. I could tell as you have mentioned the other day that they did not appear that they would ever warm up enough to be helped. You kept them warm and fed for the winter and that makes a huge difference. As you have said they are likely pretty feral and that would make it impossible to introduce them in the cattery :sad:

Now they can be in the environment they are most comfortable with and they are not stupid..they know where the food is and the warmth on a cold night! Be at peace with it I am sure you made their day!

Even in comparison to Orbit and Momma and Babe! big difference( i dont think they are that far along at being ferel!)

Hugs

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Oh 14+, sometimes we have to make decisions we don't like, but they are for the best for everyone. At least they will know where there is warmth and food for the taking. You know, that you did your best for them.

I feel honoured that I got to meet them. The sadest part is that there are others out there that will take their place. You certainly have opened my eyes to what goes on in cat world.

Keep up the good work, (as if you need encouragement).

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ I know it was a very hard decision for u to make. But like the others have said they know where the food is and they know u didn't hurt them so hopefully they will stick around.

I can't remember, but do u make those rubermaid boxes with the insulation in them for cats in the winter time? I remember someone on the board showing pics of those. Maybe u could build a couple of those for them and put food there for them?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

14+,you did the right thing,no doubt in my mind,however I think they will still stick around for food,so don't worry,they'll be fine,they know where to go for food.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Doggie Wench

They are who they are . 14+, you did all anyone possibly could and then some...setting them free is what they wanted and needed for a life of quality, what they would perceive as quality.

You did good .
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I went into the garage around 7 PM to give the kitties their night food and make sure everything was ok. Ace and Ajax were still in there. I would imagine sometime during the night they will leave.
I know in my heart they will be happier going back to the bush. The food will always be in the garage for them when/if they come back to eat. I put the blankets they had in their crate on the floor for them to lie on. The little shelters I made last winter are still there as well. Maybe they will stick close in the winter. TQ - it was me that made those. We shall see what they do.
Sylvie - encouragement is always a good thing mf. Thank you.
Winston - Love your new signature.
Thanks everyone for your support.
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I agree, 14+! You can't tame a tiger. And they both have 'tiger' attitudes--wild, untamed, independent. They'll be happier free...especially with your place as a refuge and a sure meal when they need one You did the right thing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
-

awwww 14+ you have done so much for so many kitties I'm sure those 2 will still visit , they know someone is there is they need help
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:16 PM
~Cat Servent~

They may have been too wild to confine, but I'm pretty darn sure they'll be hanging around for all that good food, company and warm sleepy spots.... that they stay close and safe!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I bet giving them their freedom will make them love you all the more 14+. It could just be the confinement not letting them relax. I'm betting they'll be around a lot more than you think and unlikely to stray far from you.

clm
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks everyone. I feel better about my decision.
You know it's funny. They still haven't left the garage. It's an old garage with a door that is in bad need of replacing and lots of other escape places but they are still there. They hiss and run when I go in but hey, I'll take it. I still expect one day soon they will wander off but I can accept that.
I'm waiting to see if they climb the fence into the catuary.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Thanks everyone. I feel better about my decision.
You know it's funny. They still haven't left the garage. It's an old garage with a door that is in bad need of replacing and lots of other escape places but they are still there. They hiss and run when I go in but hey, I'll take it. I still expect one day soon they will wander off but I can accept that.
I'm waiting to see if they climb the fence into the catuary.

Wouldn't that be great if they did and stayed . Rose is my first feral/semi feral and I can tell it didn't take too long for her to appreciate the flow of food coming her way. Ajax and Ace may not warm up to humans, but they may still think that being around you is better than being free.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Wouldn't that be great if they did and stayed . Rose is my first feral/semi feral and I can tell it didn't take too long for her to appreciate the flow of food coming her way. Ajax and Ace may not warm up to humans, but they may still think that being around you is better than being free.
I would expect the food is a big factor with them still being here. It usually is with ferals. Winter will be the telling time. Unfortunately their age may be a big factor in if they stick around or not. We shall see. I just hope if they leave they go back to the bush and not to the road.
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
-

Any updates on these two little guys 14k
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Any updates on these two little guys 14k

Thanks for asking Chris. Y'know it's funny. Ace, the big one, doesn't seem to want to leave the garage. I know Ajax goes in and out. Hubby saw him climbing back in that open spot at the back of the garage the other day. Thought he was Mylee. They still won't let me close but hey, they are sticking around so far. We fully expect once they leave the garage they will climb the fence. I guess it will be a wait and see.

It was funny yesterday morning when I was putting Benni into the carrier to take her to TO. She was voicing her displeasure loudly. Ace came out of his hiding spot hissing and spitting at me. I think he was trying to protect her. I went in to check on Benni and Orbit last night and Ace was sleeping in one of the large carriers. I didn't see Ajax.

I had the crap scared out of me this morning on the way to work. There was a dead kitty little one :sad: on the road just down from us. I was afraid it was Ajax. It wasn't.
Old August 18th, 2009, 08:48 AM
-

I'm glad to hear that they are sticking around 14k, I'm ing that they will remain then you won't have to worry about them.....when you say that "you think they will climb the fence"...do you mean the fence into the catuary?

Your heart must have leaped when you saw the poor kitty on the road :sad:

Please keep ME at least updated on how these two are doing....you know how curious I am
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:35 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I'm glad to hear that they are sticking around 14k, I'm ing that they will remain then you won't have to worry about them.....when you say that "you think they will climb the fence"...do you mean the fence into the catuary?
Please keep ME at least updated on how these two are doing....you know how curious I am
Sorry, yes, the fence to the catuary. Once we get the new enclosure moved over I am moving all of the crates out of the garage. I will still leave the winter shelters in there though. But I can't see them sticking around if the other kitties aren't in there.
You need to move closer so we can get together more!! That will get rid of your curiousity. You could come help me clean litter.
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad they're sticking around! Much safer for them on your property than elsewhere!

Do you really think they'll climb into the catuary?

Glad to hear that the kitty on the road wasn't Ajax...but poor kitty :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

the garage doesn't back onto the catuary by any chance does it. A cat door on the back of the garage or taking out a window that backs into the catuary and closing up the garage doors again would get them in there. Of course if the garage is no where near it, that sure isn't going to work.

clm
Old August 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

14+, they know a good thing when they see it...I have a feeling they won;t go far. They know where the food is. I think you did a good thing. I believe that some cats are happier outside, even if there lives are shorter..