Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 19th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Question Epedrine for uncontrolled urination in dogs?

Hi, I posted a thread about 2 months ago about my dog and excessive drinking and dribbling during sleep and when standing from a sitting position.
My dog is still doing this and we have now spent around HK$7000 on different tests etc. My vet from the UK recommended Epedrine to tighten up the muscle around his bladder. Does anyone know about this or have tried something similar in the past??
He has no infection, nothing that isnt normal, he has had an xray which showed slight hip dysplacia which the vet said once he over exercises could cause his muscles to go into spasm and then to trap a nerve which is connected to his bladder etc, not sure if he's right, the vet is as confused as we are and we are starting to get really depressed with the constant dog pee smell, we bath him a lot and wash his blankets everytime they get pee on them, I think my other dog is getting fed up too.
Do you think it could be a him trying to prove he's the leader in the house and marking his territory. We've had him for only 6 months now and he's 7 years old. Our other dog we have had since 12 weeks old, he's now 5, we don't give either dog special attention and treat them the same.
They are both Weimaraners if this helps anybody with ideas or suggestions. Please don't suggest changing vets as we have already done this, no improvment.
Please let me know if you have any ideas.
GZ
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

You say your dog urinates and dribbles in his sleep. Dogs do NOT mark territory that way, and your dog surely doesn't even know he is doing it.

Incontinent, neutered male dogs - when all physical or neurological causes have been ruled out - are often treated with injections of testosterone..sometimes only a couple injections are needed.

Is this an option for your dog?
Old March 19th, 2004, 09:45 PM

Hi, I will check with my vet today if the injections are an option. I'll let you know, thanks for the quick reply.
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Hi, I phoned my vet earlier today and he said that the injections are no good, because about 2 months ago we tried him on 'Propaline' which is the female hormone drug, this made him quite aggressive and he started shaking etc, the Testostorone is a male hormone and the vet is worried it may make him even more aggessive. I think we will try the Ephedrine before anything else as there are no side effects with it. Will let you know how we get on.