Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:38 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Ahh Chris - please give Ethel a huge hug from me. She must be devastated. I know how hard she works. I can't fathom what she is going through. I know in my heart she fought with all she is worth to save animals. Please let her know I am thinking of her. All of the OSPCA employees will be getting painted with the same brush right now. Guilty or not. Ethel - hang in sweetie.
Thanks 14k......it's the people at the top who made this decision, the ones that never enter the shelter for fear of a smell of $hit, the ones that don't even say good morning or know your name.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Thanks 14k......it's the people at the top who made this decision, the ones that never enter the shelter for fear of a smell of $hit, the ones that don't even say good morning or know your name.
to you to mf. It's got to be affecting you big time as well.
Eventually the $hit rises to the top.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:41 AM
-

I apologize for going "off topic", this isn't about my Daughter, but the injustice that has been served on the animals.....I that there is some hope for those remaining at the shelter.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. I started a group on facebook to hopefully get more voices heard. I did a search and didn't find any other group started. Here is the link for those of you who want to join and post any ideas, updates, etc you may have!! These poor animals need us!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/g...1721225&ref=mf
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3iggys View Post
How many of us on this forum are employees of this shelter? Probably not one.

:
There are two that I know of.
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I have no blame for the everyday workers there, I blame management, vets and the higher ups that knew what was happening....the behind the door people
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

This is just hearsay.....I just got off the phone with my vet's office....and the tech I was speaking with said that she thought all the cats were gone (pts) and they were trying to get clinics and such to take in some of the dogs for treatment.
ALL animals have a right to life and not be punished for contracting a treatable condition......BUT WHY DO THE CATS ALWAYS SEEM MORE DISPOSABLE???? Just my opinion and as I said, this is not confirmed information just what is heard in the vet's office.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:57 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
ALL animals have a right to life and not be punished for contracting a treatable condition......BUT WHY DO THE CATS ALWAYS SEEM MORE DISPOSABLE???? Just my opinion and as I said, this is not confirmed information just what is heard in the vet's office.

Ahem sister! I say it all the time. Cats are always the first. s

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
-

Here is a recent update from the Star http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...-at-ospca?bn=1

the numbers don't quite jive and who's to know if they are being honest......another thing to take into consideration is the amount of animals that they have there in protective custody via their Investigations Dept....legally these animals are not the OSPCA's and some of them are tied into court cases....Secondly, they perform Animal Control for 3 municipalities in this area and must follow each municipalities guidelines for the amount of days an animal is held prior to becoming the "property" of the OSPCA
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

My heart breaks for the people like your daughter Chris who work or volunteer there to help these animals and then the "closed doors" folks make these lame decisions. Someone down the line must carry them out - or else. Sadly we are not all strong enough or able to say no to our bosses.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:14 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

During question period in the legislature, Frank Klees, the Conservative member of provincial parliament for the riding where the shelter is located said the government should stay the society's decision.

Klees said the government has stood by and washed its hands of the situation, allowing the euthanasia to take place.

"This entity (OSPCA) has made the wrong decision and this minister and this government continue to wash their hands. I don't trust the SPCA. I don't trust the board. It's a wrong decision," said Klees.

The government said it stands by the society's decision and added it has no authority over the body.

"Truly, we have no authority to put a stay in place," said Corrections Minister Rick Bartolucci. "The Ontario SPCA is an independent body."

The euthanizations, which began on Tuesday, have sparked an emotional outcry from animal lovers, as dozens of protesters have been gathering outside the facility, holding signs and chanting.

The society has said the outbreak was caused by human error.

Protocols for identifying ringworm in animals were not followed, but the oversight was not wilful, it said.

The branch plans to undergo a thorough cleansing and an inspection to ensure the ringworm is eradicated before it reopens for adoptions, the society said on Tuesday.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

So what? They bring animals in from other shelters to adopt out. The place isn't cleaned properly. Maybe an infected corner is missed. The ringworm starts over again. What happens? The same #W$#@% tragedy that is going on now?

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Looks like the humans 'errored' twice now. #1 - infecting the animals due to poor bio security and the failure of proper vetting as any good vet would have noticed. #2 - killing the animals.

Very nice.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Ahem sister! I say it all the time. Cats are always the first. s
It is the truth. No doubt about it. I can attest to it first hand. I can save almost any dog, but must sell my soul for a cat.

I saved 6 last week and transported out. Sadly 20 died because I could not help them. Sickening.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:23 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Sadly we are not all strong enough or able to say no to our bosses.
She did say "No" yesterday and again today and left the building....like I said in the tjt, she is small, but she insists on being heard...........(good trait or not )
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
-

Like I said in the other thread, I heard yesterday that all of the cats were gone ...but from the blurb in the T. Star, Rob Godfrey, Chairman of the Board said "only" 50.......who do you believe?

I personally think that they are feeding the media a bunch of bull$hit. Which is really stupid of them because the truth will come out.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
150% PRO S/N

Can we merge the two threads together do you think? Save going back and forth.

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:38 PM
-

Quote:
Can we merge the two threads together do you think? Save going back and forth.
I would have no idea on how to.....how's about you?
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I would have no idea on how to.....how's about you?
Pm Marko, give him the urls, and he will merge. You wanna do it?

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Good for her Chris, it can't have been easy for her to be faced with that, but she stood by her convictions and her heart. Sadly the people outside who were mean would have no way to know that and were venting any way they could. I'm sure in her heart she knows this and could understand that. What a horrible horrible situation this is. It makes me ashamed to be a human right now.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

just got this this morning...may not help but you never know

Vote 'no'!! http://www.torontosun.com/ see right side of screen for voting option. Not sure how long it will be available.
Poll
Is the OSPCA doing the right thing in putting down 350 animals because they have a virulent form of ringworm?
Yes
62%
No
38%
Total Votes for this Question: 1089
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:45 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

voted,,,i totally can't believe yes is leading,,wtf is wrong with people.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:46 PM
150% PRO S/N

And it only lets you vote once!

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
-

You do it, you have more clout
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
voted,,,i totally can't believe yes is leading,,wtf is wrong with people.
I second that Aslan, wtf is wrong with people.

[B]COULD WE HAVE HELPED??[/B] -- call me "off the wall" on this suggestion? And pardon, my inexperience, as new to Pets.ca! -- But, had I known of this event, happening today, in Toronto, a week or more back? -- I would have located someone in Government, on screen, and contacted them immedately over my thoughts on the matter.

What would have happened??? if everyone using Pets.ca, had flooded the "higher up's" website, with the same concerns, before the kill? -- Could WE, have made a difference?? --- But, here I sit! Watching a few demonstrators, on the TV newsclip, and listening to the horror of what is taking place! ---- Could WE, out here, have helped, by doing no more, than sending, an e-mail?? --- I'm just giving everyone that cares about animals, something to think about? --- Sometimes, the "word" is "mighter" than the "sword." --- Pat
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
You do it, you have more clout
I doubt that mf! Ok, I'll send him a pm.

And it's done.

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Good for her Chris, it can't have been easy for her to be faced with that, but she stood by her convictions and her heart. Sadly the people outside who were mean would have no way to know that and were venting any way they could. I'm sure in her heart she knows this and could understand that. What a horrible horrible situation this is. It makes me ashamed to be a human right now.
They didn't ask her to euthanize any animals, but what they did ask of her she didn't agree with.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

What is wrong with people? They are uneducated, believe whatever they read, their head is in the sand, ignorance...I could go on.

This is not the only SPCA that kills because of ringworm. There are many others as well. We just do not hear about it on such a large scale.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
-

Good Girl 14k

P.Morrisnobody knew this was going to happen.