Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:54 AM

Kitten Help Re: Spaying/Shots

Hi everyone,

I acquired a kitten about a month ago and I believe she is around 4 months old (got her from someone who could not keep her). I just have a few questions...
1) Which shots will she need? These would be her first shots and I don't want the Vet to try and talk me into having to give her shots she doesn't need. She is an indoor cat as I live in an apartment.

2) What age should I get her spayed? I called a Vet Hospital yesterday and they were willing to spay her for $480 plus extra for her first shots...I'd be looking at around almost $600 - WOW!

I was thinking that I would get her first shots done now and then wait another few months to get her spayed. When do kittens get there first heat?

Thank you for any help you can throw my way.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Normally the first shots include rabies, rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia.

Phone around for prices on cat spaying. You may find that a fully equipped hospital may charge more than a smaller clinic.

Cats can go into heat as early as 4 months, but generally they will at about 6-7 months old.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM

Re: Kitten

Thank you for your quick reply. I just called a clinic and they said the first shot would be for rabbies the charge is $104 & tax. The next shot a month later would be a booster shot $70 (includes a few vaccines?). They also advised I may want to bring in a fecal sample to check for parasites (wringworm that she could have gotten from her mother) $40 - is this necessary? Do you think this is something I should have my kitten checked out for?

Thanks.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM

Kittens have their first heat at around 6 months. If she's an indoor cat, you can probably wait on some of the vaccines, but heats are no fun for you or for the kitten. They wander around crying and sound like they are in pain. There are a few cats who go into heat quietly, but most often heats are very noisy. It lasts for several days and starts up again approximately every two weeks until they get pregnant.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure_Me View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. I just called a clinic and they said the first shot would be for rabbies the charge is $104 & tax. The next shot a month later would be a booster shot $70 (includes a few vaccines?). They also advised I may want to bring in a fecal sample to check for parasites (wringworm that she could have gotten from her mother) $40 - is this necessary? Do you think this is something I should have my kitten checked out for?

Thanks.
That does sound right, if it includes a check up along with the shots.

You must mean roundworm?? Ringworm is a fungus that is treated topically.

It is always good to get your cat de-wormed and only use meds you get from the vet, not the over-the-counter ones from Walmart or Canadian Tire. They don't work so you'd be wasting your money. I personally would pass on the fecal sample and just get the kitten dewormed.

I would still call around at different vet clinics, the pricing can vary quite a bit .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You are in Toronto. They have a couple of low cost places. Your best bet, is Spay Central. Phone now as there is a waiting list. I included the link to the thread where Chris explains it and leaves a phone #

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60522

As L4H said deworming is something that should be done regardless. There really would be no need to bring in a sample. It's pretty much a given that there are worms of some type. Ask what wormer they are using as some, like Strongid, need to be repeated in two weeks to ensure it has done its' job. That particular one does not get rid of tape worms unless used on a regular basis. Do you know if mom was an indoor or outdoor cat? If indoor chances of having tapeworms are lessened but if she got pregnant my guess would be she was allowed out.
Good luck and thank you for caring!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM
-

Toronto Animal Services has a spay/neuter clinic which I didn't know about, maybe you want to give them a call:

Toronto Animal Services operates a Spay/Neuter Clinic located at 2696 Eglinton Avenue West (Eglinton & Keele). To book your appointment, call 416-338-6281.

There are also a few places that offer cheaper vaccinations....I'll try and find them.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM

Just wanted to add my
I would NOT advise waiting on spaying, try to do it as soon as possible (believe me this was pretty expensive lesson).
Toronto Animal Services is pretty good bet. If i m correct they have promotion until September, so they surgery would cost u about 100$ in total. But kitten have to have rabbies and first booster shots before going in there.
They have a waiting period about 2 weeks, so call in advance.
Also, before going in there make sure u have e-collar because they do not provide one. U can get it from ur regular vet.
I would also suggest clipping ur kitten's nails day before going in there, because they clipped it way too short for my cat (may be its just my luck, but Shura was in pain). Make sure u bring it to their attention that nails r clipped and there is no need to do it.
Also, i dont think they give pain meds for u to take home, so u will have to ask ur regular vet.

Try to shop around for vets, probably u ll be able to find somebody less expensive. Google ratemyvet.com and do u search there (i found it pretty useful website))

Good Luck.

P.S. Just remembered u can actually get pet insurance to cover those costs. Dont remember the name of the insurance company (ur vet must know this info), but they have a plan that covers not only emergencies but also regular costs such as deworming, shots, spaying/neutering. When i asked for the quote they told me it would cost about 100$ per month for 2 cats. So thats another option.

Last edited by Maruska; July 22nd, 2010 at 05:34 PM. Reason: adding info
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:14 PM

Re: New Kitten - Shots & Spaying

Thank you everyone for all your helpful information I really appreciate it.

I'm so glad I found this site.