Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM

I am here..

and a n00b...so yea. I'm Cassie most call me Kat.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi ZombieKitty This is a message I left in your "Bob" thread.

Please do some research on how the quality of a cat's life can be improved be being spayed/neutured. Please break you "habit" of letting one or two get pregnant. There are enough poor innocents being euthanized every day because their owners had that habit. And please know cats can live to be in their 20's if properly looked after.

http://www.sniksnak.com/benefits.html

http://www.ovma.org/pet_owners/pet_h...ay_neuter.html

http://www.coastlandvet.com/spayneutr.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/spayneuter.htm

This should keep you reading for a while. There is also info in there for dogs. I see you have them too. I really hope they have been fixed.

This is a site for outdoor enclosures to help keep your outdoor kitties safe. It's pretty easy to build one. We did. If they must be outdoors at least you don't have to worry so much about them being hit by cars, fighting with other animals, coming in contact with animals with diseases which can be passed on to then, etc.

http://www.purrfectfence.com/outdoor_cat_enclosures.asp

I am not trying to chase you away. I am just trying to show you a better way to love you pets.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Leia is not fixed but she is constantly indoors and her "boyfriend" is Elliot so no babies there. Although, I will get her fixed later so hopefully she will live a much longer life, or so I've read. The other two cats are Bob's kittens that are under 8 months so I haven't got them spayed/neutered yet. Furthermore, I can't find a humane society that will do a "group rate" lol. They do have their shots though which brings them down to about $60 pet cat which is pretty reasonable.

Leia could very easily slip out the door sometime when it is open. Please have her fixed too. And yes, it could mean a longer life for her. At least a much happier one not having to go into heat every 2 or 3 weeks.
Bob's kittens need to be fixed now! If they are already 8 months old they are capable of getting pregnant. Females can get pregnant very early in life. That isn't fair to them. Males are capable of impregnating any time after 5 or 6 months. If males aren't fixed earlier it also increases the chance of their spraying. I don't know if you have ever smelled that.

As for finding a humane society who will do a group rate... speak to vets (more than one), speak to rescues, speak to every humane society you can find. We have a couple of very young teens in here who have fixed countless cats/kittens. They are in the States and seem to have found clinics that will fix cats at a very reasonable rate. Almost makes me feel like moving there just for that (not!). kathryn and katherine93 - please speak to them. You can start a thread to one or both and I am sure they will be happy to guide you as to where to start looking.

I sincerely hope you will consider this info. It is in the best interest of your beloved pets.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I second what 14+ says. Yes kittens are very cute, but what isn't are cats that are being euthanized because of the overpopulation or falling ill as your Bob did.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

Please keep in mind people that Zombie is barely an adult and her parents started it all. Had THEY fixed their cats way back when like they should have, she probably wouldn't have so many. (Since they are at her parents house) She takes wonderful care of her cats and if she didn't, she wouldn't have paid to try and save Bob. She's been talking to me for a while about trying to get her babies all fixed but when you don't have $720 (What it would cost to fix them all) up front to do so, it's hard. It's not like her cats pop out 50 litters a year or are always pregnant.

Her family has been giving her crap about the fact she even tried to do the surgery, her grandma wont even speak to her because of the amount of money she spent on "just a cat". Lighten up a bit, you're not helping her feel any better about losing her cat.

JBKitty - I don't think any of us came down too hard on Zombie. We are a ver pro spay/neuter forum. As such when we read stories such as this it breaks our hearts.
I understand living with her parents and them being somewhat, well, greatly, responsible. I applaud her for trying to stop the problem now before it gets worse. But when you post something like Zombie did you have to expect some backlash.
Now, can we start over?
There are lots of options to fix this problem. Zombie does not need to come up with all of the money at one time. I am sure even doing one cat at a time as money becomes available is a better option than what is being done now. Also, there are vets that will take payments. You just have to look around. I think that should be doable. There is also credit cards. Not the best choice but then the money is up front and can be paid back monthly. Just keep the card for that purpose. Don't max it on other things. I understand there are clinics in some areas of US that will do cats on the weekend at greatly reduced rates. That is why I suggested in the earlier post in this thread to get in touch with kathryn or katherine93.
I am sure other members of this board can come up with more options.

My habit is letting one or two of mine have kittens but then I get attached to them and end up keeping all of them. I just couldn't see them go to people that I don't know or god forbid end up in a shelter somewhere

This is a quote from Zombie herself. It is in the other thread. It might be a good idea to let them go to people who have been screened very well and who will get their new pets fixed. Just don't give them away. Charge a small amount ($25) for a kitty. You can use the money to go toward getting others fixed. As for them going to a shelter - don't you guys have no kill shelters? That is a much better option than going through what is happening now.

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 28th, 2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 05:36 PM

I'm very very big on spay and neuter. I've acutally had my mother throw things at me and slap me across the face for yelling at her about how irresponcible she is for not even letting ME pay to have a dog who we never intend on breeding, fixed. (And if she did, I'd have something very hard to wack my mother with in the head to hopefully knock some sence into her as this particular dog has a LOT of hip and knee problems) Don't think I just let these things go so easy. All my animals are fixed as early as possible. If they're of breeding age, thats too old to be intact IMO.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you but it's pretty rude to come onto her post about her cats death and everyone tell her how irresponcible she is when someone in the post before hers freaking ran over their own cat because they were "irresponcible" enough to let it outdoors. But of course I'd be jumped on if I said that on their post. At least have the decency to send her a private message. We all make mistakes, we all have flaws and we certainally all don't know everything. She's learning, she's trying...At least let her mourn her poor cat without having to feel like she's the only person who's ever had something bad happen that could have been prevented and making sure EVERYONE see's what you have to say.