Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

View Poll Results: I've heard the saying that some owners look like their pets..Do you think your pet...
Has a personality much like yours 5 27.78%
Has a personality somewhat like yours 0 0%
Has a personality you wish you could have 0 0%
Has his/her own personality in a class all its own! 13 72.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 27th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Angry I just can't say goodbye to my Draco

Draco was a 9 yr old all black German Shepard. We brought him home at the age of 7 weeks and I always said he chose us rather than us choosing him out of all the puppies there that day. He had the happiest & funniest personality, the more he made you laugh, the harder he would try. If he sensed that you were sad or hurting, he was right there at your side hurting with you. He has showed unconditional love and loyalty the entire 9 years he blessed our lives. At times I felt this dog was so special that I wondered what we did to deserve him.
On July 17th of this year, I woke up and had a very busy day ahead of me, I had to plan and prepare for my daughters 17th birthday party which was to be celebrated with family and friends that afternoon. I noticed Draco was laying in the downstairs bathroom and he didn't get up to go outside like he normally does every morning. The night before he was outside running and playing ball with dad like he always does, happy as could be, so I didn't think anything of him not going out. My kids began to get concerned because they were trying to coax him out of the bathroom and he just wouldn't get up. I asked them to stay in there with him because I had 2 hrs left to clean & prepare before the party. We called and got him a vet appointment but the soonest they could see him was dinner time. I continued to clean the house and would pop my head in once in awhile to ask the girls how he was. People started to arrive for the party and by this hour Draco wouldn't even respond to us talking to him, he was just staring off into the distance. My husband called the vet back and got him in on an emergency appt. I stayed behind because the guests were now here and we began to celebrate my daughters birthday. My husband returned home without Draco saying he was being kept because they discovered he was anemic and they needed to run an i.v for fluids and antibiotics. Exactly 2 hours after that the doctor called and said Draco had a massive heart attack and passed. He said it happened so fast by the time he got to him it was too late.
I can't forgive myself for not spending those last few hours with him at home.
I should have known the severity of it just by the look in his eyes. I put my housework and party preperations ahead of him and now he's gone. I never even had a chance to say goodbye when he left for the vet.
It has been a month and my heart is still in a million pieces. I went to the vet the next morning to say my goodbyes and I will take that hour I spent w/him to my grave. I dont know how to go on without him. Being a stay atr home mom, I spent the last 9 years, 24 hours a day with my Draco and now I feel as if I lost one of my kids. I have another black shepard that is Dracos nephew, he too is still mouning Dracos loss. Draco was so incredibly smart and loving that it's hard to imagine not ever waking to that happy face, or seeing him next to me every nite as I sit at my computer. I still feel the overwhelming need to comfort him when it storms outside and now all I cry for is him to be here comforting me. I know he's at peace and running around rainbow bridge, but I want to be selfish and have him here with me. I've lost other pets in the past but never have I had a connection like I did with my Draco. I have never known such sorrow. I love you Draco, my heart will ache until the day we meet again.
Attached Images