Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Ground Venison?

Alrighty, I am turning to you folks again The meat lady gave me a ton of ground venison, but I haven't eaten it since I was about 3 years old, lol. I know you can use it in place of ground beef, but I was wondering about the taste? Is it gamey at all? If it is, what can I do to make it easier to get used to (because we have A LOT, lol!)? Any recipes you would like to share? Thanks again!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

We eat a lot of venison in my house, and I find the ground venison quite gamey. So far I have tried it in Italian dishes, in lieu of ground beef and additionally in Mexican.
I much prefer chunks of meat or roasts which I put in the slow cooker.
Please let me know if you do find a good recipe to get the "gameyness out" of the ground meat
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:44 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I think the secret may be seasoning The recipes I am reading all call for a lot of seasoning, spices, chilis, etc. I will let you know what I find!
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

That would be great Twin Tails. I have also found that when the venison is cut down with another meat, for instance pork- it is a little less gamey.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thats a great idea I've actually started to look for a meat grinder, dyhydrator, meat slicer and a bread machine on Kijiji. If I can find them, I will be well on my way to stocking up I already have one of those food saver air-zippy-things and tons of bags, so now to maybe make some meat balls to freeze
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you don't like the taste of it right away, you can mix it with ground beef and gradually increase the ratio of venison to beef. It's an acquired taste

Alternatively, you could ship the ground venison to madame hazel, who adores the stuff!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:06 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Hehe, I'll send it if you send me a puppeh in return
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sigh...no deal

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

*Dang* Oh well then
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM
banned user

Venison can taste very good if seasoned properly. If I make a meatloaf or burgers i mix it with the dry onion soup mix and some worsheshire sauce. It is very lean so you will have to add a little oil of some sort so it does not dry out. You can also mix meats like If you want to make a meatloaf or meatballs or even a lasagna mix it with some sausage. some people also say they like to put it in there chili. As far as cooking time i would cook it about the same as ground beef but like i said before just be sure to put oil in it. good luck and have a great holiday season!
Old September 17th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

my grand ma swears by this :
This is a as needed thing. Not in bulk because once you defrost the meat, you have to use it , and it CAN NOT be refrozen once this process is done. She said make sure I say that.
Defrost ground venison
roll up the ground venison into small meatballs.
get large mixing bowl and put 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of whorschester sauce. 3-5 cups of ROOM TEMP water.(just make sure its covering the meatballs completely), place bowl in fridge and Soak for two hours.
Pull out meatballs, shaking as much of liquid off of them. Then mush them back to whatever shape you want.

proceed with cooking them however you would beef.
This recipie also works well for a venison roast.

Good luck. We've still got a few things of it hanging around ourself. My favorite thing to get is venison backstrap and make deer tips and rice with it. YUM!