Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM
Doggie Wench

Red face Wish I could Post Pics Of My Lovely Gardens...

...but I don't have any .

I did go out this morning to dig up some rocks in the backyard and grabbed these shots of what we planted this Spring. They're still all babies but I'll be sure to update their photos in about 20 years or so .

Royal Purple Smoke Bush .

Name:  g1.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  75.5 KB

Sugar Maple, we planted a cluster of 7, with 2 Elm, in the back yard. Can't wait til they're big enough to make some shade and the great grandkids can make some maple syrup . The city gives away to residents a variety of baby trees every Spring but not too many ppl show up for them so they allowed me to take as many as I wanted this year. Dh was afraid I was going to plant my very own forest .

Name:  g2.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  47.1 KB

Elm

Name:  g3.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  61.2 KB
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:48 AM
Doggie Wench

White and Red Pines, can't remember which is which .

Name:  g4.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  g5.JPG
Views: 343
Size:  59.1 KB

And my attempt at a new shade garden . I dug the dark green Hostas up from my mother's last weekend. Frenchy gave me the Hostas that are in the front. There's also a Bleeding Heart, and two other plants that I can't think of the name right now . The rocks come courtesy of the backyard lawn that Penny and Nukka helped to dig up .

Name:  g6.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  53.8 KB
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:52 AM
Doggie Wench

And a wild rose bush. The blooms smell heavenly so I planted it below our bedroom window. Question: Can I prune the dead blooms off or will it hurt the plant?

I spy with my little eye, a bee...can you see it ?
Attached Images

Old August 21st, 2010, 11:04 AM
Doggie Wench

Ok, I just googled Elm Tree and that's not what I have planted. The label said "orme" which in English means Elm . Anyone know what that tree is in the photo?
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Nice gardens LP! you could plant some bulbs in there for the spring! I like muscari, crocus and hiacynth!

I think you are correct on the tree. It looks like there may be a variation in leaf structure!

How are the morning glory's coming along?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 21st, 2010, 12:58 PM

Well you certainly doing much better than myself - I have ZERO plants/gardens to speak of.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old August 21st, 2010, 03:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I spy with my little eye, a bee...can you see it ?
Yeppur!! That would be the bee on the open rose at the top on the right hand side.
You have a wonderful start to your gardens. They will look amazing when you are done!!! The hosta one already does. I see the ones you filched from your stepdad made the trip very well.

When you are all finished can you come help me with mine please?

Oh yeah - forgot to answer your question. Yes, you may prune the dead roses. In fact it may encourage another flush if you do.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; August 21st, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old August 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

LP,those are really cute baby-trees,the pups don't knock them over???
The tree you said was an Elm,looks very similar to an Oak,but I am probably wrong.
I think everything looks great,you don't need 2 million flowers to have a garden,the grass looks very good.
I too see the Bumble-bee in your pretty Rose-Bush,is it a wild Rose??
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:15 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
you could plant some bulbs in there for the spring! I like muscari, crocus and hiacynth!
Think they would do good in a shadier area? And anyone know if it's possible to buy bulbs in bulk? I'd love to plant a whole whack of them around the driveway or along the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
How are the morning glory's coming along?
They're not . Only counted 6 flowers in all. I'll forgo planting them in a pot next year and plant the seeds right into the earth. How intrusive are they Winston? I'm thinking of putting them around the porch out front...can I just rip them down in the Fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
When you are all finished can you come help me with mine please?
I have no imagination for gardens but I'm pretty handy at weeding . I'm thinking next time I'm down your way, I'll use dh's pick-up and swing by Chris's...load up all her potted plants on my return and, voila, instant flower garden .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Yes, you may prune the dead roses. In fact it may encourage another flush if you do.
Good to know, I was thinking of how pruning dead lilac flowers aren't good for the tree and was wondering if that applies to roses as well .

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
LP,those are really cute baby-trees,the pups don't knock them over???
Fortunately, they're really good about the trees. Had to train Lucky not to pee on them and Penny not to pluck them .

Chico, I think you're right actually, about the tree being an Oak. I googled it and the leaves look identical. They're gonna be huge and now I'm thinking I planted them too close to the Maples .
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Think they would do good in a shadier area? And anyone know if it's possible to buy bulbs in bulk? I'd love to plant a whole whack of them around the driveway or along the road.

You can order tons of bulbs through Veseys. Request a free catalogue or order on line. Bulbs do well in semi shade but not so well in complete shade. There is also Stokes catalogue. I believe they have moved into bulbs in the last couple of years.
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/fa...m1i30if3r39c06

http://www.stokeseeds.com/home.aspx

They're not . Only counted 6 flowers in all. I'll forgo planting them in a pot next year and plant the seeds right into the earth. How intrusive are they Winston? I'm thinking of putting them around the porch out front...can I just rip them down in the Fall?

Morning Glories are invasive but are very easy to control. It just takes some of that weeding you like doing. Just remember they aren't crazy about fertilizer and rich earth. MGs are actually annuals. It is not the original plant that is coming back up but brand new plants from the seeds that have dropped.

I have no imagination for gardens but I'm pretty handy at weeding . I'm thinking next time I'm down your way, I'll use dh's pick-up and swing by Chris's...load up all her potted plants on my return and, voila, instant flower garden .

I'm glad my gardens looked like crap when you were here! No danger of you wanting to "borrow" the plants.

Good to know, I was thinking of how pruning dead lilac flowers aren't good for the tree and was wondering if that applies to roses as well .
Actually, the best time to cut back lilac trees is right after they have finished flowering for optimal growth the next year. That is what I have always heard and read. 'Course I could be way off.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Thanks for the links .

I remember reading somewhere that Lilac blooms shouldn't be pruned...gonna have to look that up now.
Old August 21st, 2010, 08:53 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Thanks for the links .

I remember reading somewhere that Lilac blooms shouldn't be pruned...gonna have to look that up now.
Here you go.
http://gardening.about.com/od/prunin...ing_Lilacs.htm

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Here's a couple of sites for bulbs that will work in shaded areas.....

http://www.dutchbulbs.com/search/light?light[]=sunshade&light[]=shade

http://www.theplantexpert.com/springbulbs/Shade.html

If the pups like to dig up stuff be careful with bulbs. A lot are deadly. I love Lily of the Valley but it is poisonous for dogs.
You know your bleeding heart will die back completely soon, right? It will look like it has disappeared. Then next year it's back and doing well.

Any time I am being too yacky tell me to back off mf. Gardening, regardless of what my poor gardens look like right now, is one of my favourite things to do.

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm going to have to start taking notes . Thanks for that link too, 14+.
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I'm going to have to start taking notes . Thanks for that link too, 14+.
You should see my gardening links under my favourites! I need to start weeding it out it's getting so big! I made a new folder just for it and it is huge!!
Next time you are here remind me and I can send you home with tons of seeds.

Old August 21st, 2010, 09:34 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm sitting here making lists of seeds I'd like to plant next Spring . Wish I was so motivated to start digging .
Old August 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I'm sitting here making lists of seeds I'd like to plant next Spring . Wish I was so motivated to start digging .
Yep. It's addicting! If it wasn't for the digging and the weeding I would be out there a lot more. I actually worked again for a little while today after I got home from work and fed the kitties. It's getting there....... slowly.........

If you ever need a good reference book may I recommend The Canadian Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers. The publishers are Dorling Kindersley. My kids got it for me for my birthday about 5 years or so ago. I love it!! It has everything from bulbs to trees in it and also garden planning.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with 14+,the dead Lilac-blooms have to be dead-headed..
I had a Lilac that never bloomed and a friend,kind of an expert on Lilacs,said to cut the blooms off as soon as they are dead.
He also said not to prune the actual tree(bush)or you'll cut off next years blooms.

If you are near to a Costco,they usually sell their bulbs in large bags,but it might be easier to order from a catalog.

With Roses,I always deadhead them and in the fall cut them right down to about 1 foot,I might just dig them up,they look terrible right now..
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think you're making a lovely start to your gardens, LP! That's a beautiful rose!

We have lots of oaks--and yes, they get quite large...but they grow fairly slowly, too, so it'll be a while before they shade out the maples. If you just planted them, you may still be able to move them because they won't be established yet.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:03 PM
You can call me DOG!

The 2 flowers in the back of your shade garden look like Canna lily. Their leaves are fairly large and if their the bright red version, they will attract hummers!

My neighbors have canna lillies and I've seen my hummer flock over to them a few times.

Nice gardens LP!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

LP I think your garden looks lovely. Any garden with bee's is a lovely garden! I hope your tree's are far enough away from your house foundation not to cause any damage though. Especially since you said you planted so many. Isn't 14+ just a wealth of info? She rocks in the garden .
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

LP..nice job on the planting. That one tree does look like an oak. We had a oak tree in our yard where I grew up. I miss the nice big trees. Also, make sure u give them a good drink every day for the first couple of weeks after planting,,,turn the hose on a slow trinkle so the water runs down to the roots and not onto the grass. Trees lose a lot of water every day thru evaporation so giving them a good drink when they are newly planted helps them. Also giving them some 10-52-10 to help their roots develop is good too! I also hope u gave them a big area to spread out,,,cause they are going to get huge! LOL

The hosta garden looks nice too...I hope u gave them lots of room to spread out too as they will get huge and turn into bushes and u won't be able to move them without a fork lift after that. LOL

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
-

LP, the leaves on your Elm tree look more like Oak to me.

In the shade garden maybe you could plant "Heuchera" there are some good buys around at this time of year.