Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 1st, 2004, 09:03 PM

Kitten won't use the litter-box

We just got a seven week old kitten for my sixteen year old son. I have raised many cats over the years and have never had trouble with one learning to use the litter-box. This one doesn't seem to have the normal cat instinct to bury his 'gifts'. He doesn't scratch before or after going and goes anywhere except his litter-box. His favorite place seems to be on someone's bed, but he will use any place that's handy. We have had to shut him up in my son's bathroom during the day so that we don't have nasty surprises all over the house. His food and water dishes are on one end of the bathroom and his litter-box is at the other end. He will go right beside it on the floor but not in it. It is not dirty, he's never used it. He can easily get in and out of it. My son keeps patiently putting him in the box when he catches him doing his duty in an inappropriate place, but so far the kitten has not caught on to what is expected of him. Any other ideas?
Old April 1st, 2004, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all, where did you get this kitten? Has he been checked by a vet? Urinary problems, diarhhrea and even parasites can stop a cat from using a litterbox.

If he was taken from his mother too early - before she taught him to use it - that could also contribute to the problem.

If he checks out at the vet fine - no worms,etc - then you may need to confine him to a wire dog crate with a large shallow litterbox at one end and his food at the other, so he will have to use the litterbox.

If possible, get a bit of soiled litter from a friend who has a cat and add it to your kitten's box.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I was gonna say the same

I used to put the poop that kitty did somewhere else into the box, then put kitty there take its paw and scratch in the box two or three times. It would usually take off but after a few times it caught on. Or at least my eight did thank god
Old April 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM

My son has been putting all of the kitten's poop in the litter-box. The first thing I did when I brought him in the house was put him in the box and scratch his little front paws in the litter. My son does this daily, also.

The kitten was plenty large when we got him from the family who belongs to the queen cat. They said that the kitten was seven weeks and this was his first time away from mama.

I had intended to visit the vet with him but two days after he came home our Chihuahua got very sick, almost to the point of death, and we had to spend the money on him. I can't afford another vet visit until next payday. I do have vaccines at home and injected the kitten on his fourth day with us (giving him time to get used to the situation prior to more trauma). He has no visual sign of worms (loose poops, etc) but I can pick up worming meds today and try that.

We will also try your idea of confining him to a smaller space.

Thank you both.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Was he using the litterbox at his owner's house?

Where are you getting the worms meds? Do not get them at a pet store, as they are mostly ineffective for many kinds of worms.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:54 AM

I don't know if he was using it at the previous house. I just talked with them once and didn't even consider that question as I have had so many cats in the past and every one of them took to the litter-box as if it was in their genes to use it.

I usually buy my worming medicine and vaccines at the Tractor Supply Store and order heartworm meds over the internet. I have some on order right now. The vet has told me in the past which meds are quality and where to buy them.