Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 1st, 2013, 08:39 PM

Have an older cat, and asking about taking in a stray.

We have a great older cat (16 yrs, female), and our daughter's friend has a young stray cat hanging around their house. Not sure if the stray is male or female, and am guessing he/she is around 6 mos old. Very affectionate to humans. If we adopted the stray cat, we would take the cat to the vet to be checked out before introducing it to our cat so there was no transference of disease.

What are the pitfalls, if any? Will it matter if the new cat is male or female? Any suggestions for introducing the two if we go ahead with the adoption?
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:08 PM

Hi Kushog;

Over the years I've introduced a few animals to the household some with little or no problems, and then there were times introduction didn't work at all. About 10 years ago I came across an introduction method that I use today, and I have found that it helps greatly. It is imperative for the 16-year-old cat that you take your time with the introduction because it will mean that she will have to relinquish some of her territorial rights to the newcomer, and if she has no other animals in the house that she deals with over territory rights this could be stressful for her. Taking the new kitten to the vet before you take it home to have a check for medical problems is a great idea, and it will give you a chance to pick the vet's mind for ideas as well.

I am enclosing a couple of websites that you can have a look at dealing with the introduction of a new kitten to the household. It goes into more detail on what to do than I can here. It's basically what I do, and I've had good success with it. It takes between 5 and 7 days to complete the introduction but it does keep the stress levels well down for the animals.

http://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats/feline...pets/index.cfm

http://pets.ca/cats/articles/getting-a-new-kitten-cat/

Wish you the best of luck with your adventure.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Nearly all our cats have been strays that just showed up and for the most part they did get along. Not always friends but tolerant. They all seem to actually like the dog. With the exception of Ginger, who we sadly lost to old age last week at age 20.5. Ginge died at home but that's another story. Anyway, Ginger was extremely intolerant of every cat we brought in but one would turn on her and beat her up. So I would say there's no guarantee it will work but in our case it did work far more often than it didn't.

We did take in one lovely orange male cat who seemed to get along quite well with our three, even Ginger. It was warm enough we kept him in the garage at first, even though he had been freely interacting with ours outside. Poor Murphy, it turned out he had the wet form of FIP and we euthanized him a week after live trapping him. Of course then our concern was the other cats we had but all three are ok and still ok years after exposure to Murphy.

One thing I do suggest is that you attempt to find out if the kitten is owned by people nearby. Scan him/her for a chip, put up Found posters, check out Lost ads. If he's that friendly already chances are there is a loving owner bereft at his escape.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

It would be a good idea to have the kitten tested for intestinal parasites as it been outside for awhile.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:47 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

In my experience most cats get along eventually. Some become best buddies, but most at least tolerate one another. Just introduce them slowly and according to a plan (as mentioned in the articles Reg listed) and it should go fine.
Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 2nd, 2013, 08:51 PM

Thank-you!

Thank-you for all the suggestions and anecdotes. Reg, I am sure that the method the sites outline will work for our current cat.

The people who are currently feeding the cat have been asking around, but they are in the country, and in an area that is frequently used to dump pets. Glad we can give this one a new home.

Vet is booked for Wednesday night, when we will pick up the new kitten. Our daughter is very excited.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

QUOTE=Kushog;1063308]Thank-you for all the suggestions and anecdotes. Reg, I am sure that the method the sites outline will work for our current cat.

The people who are currently feeding the cat have been asking around, but they are in the country, and in an area that is frequently used to dump pets. Glad we can give this one a new home.

Vet is booked for Wednesday night, when we will pick up the new kitten. Our daughter is very excited.[/QUOTE]

to People that dump their pets in the woods to dies. I am glad too you're opening your home to the little kitty , he/she will be forever graceful to you and your family. Do have a name picked out yet? And I can't wait to see a photo of your new kitty.
Old December 8th, 2013, 08:52 PM

Oreo is now in our home. The vet pointed out that she seems to have either a poorly fused breast plate, or has incurred a chest injury that is poorly healed. She is very happy, but not mobile like a kitten should be, and is in discomfort if she is picked up. She purrs like a chainsaw otherwise - you can hear her from several feet away.

Our 16-year-old cat is curious, but not upset, obsessed, or stressed about the new addition. The closest they have been is seeing each other's shadows under the door that separates them.