Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old February 17th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

changes in dogs

all you raw feeders.how long did it take to notice a difference in your dogs.like energy,strenght,size and all around general health.
Old February 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I cant really say as I started Rosco when he was a young pup. That said, he never smells doggy. Hes in great shape. His teeth are crazy white, and hes been healthy.

It all depends really. I don't consider raw a miracle food that will turn every dog into a super healthy, top notch specimen. But I do believe its a great starting point. Nutrition is what fuels their bodies, so it cant hurt to provide the best nutrition possible. But it can only help so much. Genetics from previous generations play a roll, as well as environmental factors. Ever dog is different and will all respond differently. Also, its kinda like preventive maintenance. periodontal disease is a major problem in dogs. Especially small ones. Keep those teeth & gums healthy and they run little risk of problems.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old February 17th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I've noticed a differents in at 1 meal a day for 6 days.was just curious as to the difference in the animls people found between the 2 ways of feeding.
Old February 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM

Like Scott, we switched our dog to raw when he was still a puppy (4 months old). He still is a puppy now (10 months old), so it's hard to say that I've noticed a difference in energy levels because puppies are quite energetic to begin with. However, we did notice other differences when we switched to raw. When Barkley was on kibble, he had numerous issues with digesting his food and had everything from UTI's, colitis, diarrhea, and he also had infected ears and itchy paws. When we switched to raw, the quickest change we saw was his poops. He had perfect stools from day one. After a couple of days on raw he stopped chewing his paws and his ears completely cleared up and we haven't had to so much as clean them ever since. I agree with Scott that raw isn't some magical solution that will make every dog perfectly healthy, but IMO it's the best foundation block on which to build optimum health.
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

well jags happier more energy and i think he's put some weight on.i put his bark collar on him last week.tried to put it on him today and it needs to be adjusted.so he also looks better.i just thought it would take longer to see a difference.i like it.
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I only switched mine over a few months ago ( have to dig up in the archives to know for sure) I noticed the energy change in approx 2 weeks and their coats were shinier also...
It took a little while for breath and teeth, but now they are white as a puppies teeth. Cant complain on breath anymore either.
Raw isnt a miracle food by all means but it does prove to have some great benifits thats for sure. I cant imagine ever going back to kibble again.
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Honest Contributor

well our girl's been on raw since we got her (age 3 months), she's 15 months old now. we've never had to clean her ears, she's never had a UTI or food allergies or any health problems at all (her kibble-fed sisters are not like that!). she has a beautiful thick shiny coat and sweet breath. she's still growing, very slowly but surely, which is GOOD because she's genetically not very gifted in her rear legs, we suspect she will have bad hips later on. a balanced raw diet and appropriate supplements can greatly reduce joint damage and pain, so we're for a better outcome than if she had been kibble-fed.

our boy was raw-fed as a puppy, then put on a home-cooked diet, then raw again, then kibble for a few months... he didn't want to eat anything and had massive poops and yellow teeth and gunky ears on kibble, he was getting soooo skinny and had no energy... finally we said "enough is enough" and last August we put him on a 100% raw diet, force-fed him meals appropriate for his size and he gained 20 lbs of pure muscle in a few months haven't had to clean his ears since, teeth are white again, coat is silky soft and hardly any shedding, he has a LOT of energy, no gas and nice small firm poops (finally!), etc.

some see results/changes after a few weeks, others can take a couple of months. but really expect less shedding, more energy, more muscle-mass, nicer breath, less doggy odor, a LOT less poops, less allergies, etc etc.

show us some before and after photos!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

i know it's not a miracle food.but feeding only 1 raw meal a day.and the rest kibble.i just didn't think i would see that much of a difference.when i pick him up he feels a little heavier.but more he feels more solid not so soft feeling.softer coat.it's ben like that with ben also.i don't think theres been that much of a change to see the difference in some pics.i see it because i'm always keeping an eye on him.
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hi

Just read the posts and was wondering what kind of pup food are you feeding your pup???
Where can I get it. And do they have this diet for cats?
Thanks,
Karen
Old February 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

hmm, not sure who this is addressed to, but this thread is about a raw diet. And it is available for cats.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938