Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old December 10th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Vick gets 23 months for dogfighting.

Vick gets 23 months for dogfighting

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 20 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick was sentenced to 23 months in prison Monday for his role in a dogfighting conspiracy that involved gambling and killing pit bulls.
ADVERTISEMENT

The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback could have been sentenced up to five years by U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson. Vick, who turned himself in Nov. 19 in anticipation of his sentence, was wearing a black-and-white striped prison suit.

After Vick apologized to the court and his family, Hudson told him: "You need to apologize to the millions of young people who looked up to you."

"Yes, sir," Vick answered.

Vick acknowledged he used "poor judgment" and added, "I'm willing to deal with the consequences and accept responsibility for my actions."

Federal rules governing time off for good behavior could reduce Vick's prison stay by about three months, resulting in a summer 2009 release.

Before the hearing started, Michael Vick's brother, Marcus Vick, sat with his right arm around their mother, comforting her as she buried her head in her hands and wept.

Vick pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs. He has been held at a jail in Warsaw, Va., since he voluntarily began serving his sentence.

In a plea agreement, he admitted bankrolling the dogfighting ring on his 15-acre property in rural southeastern Virginia and helping kill pit bulls that did not perform well in test fights. He also admitted providing money for bets on the fights but said he never shared in any winnings.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank called the sentencing "another step in his legal journey."

"This is a difficult day for Michael's family and for a lot of us, including many of our players and fans who have been emotionally invested in Michael over the years," Blank said.

"We sincerely hope that Michael will use this time to continue to focus his efforts on making positive changes in his life, and we wish him well in that regard."

At a news conference after pleading guilty last summer, Vick apologized to the NFL, the Falcons and youngsters who viewed him as a role model and vowed: "I will redeem myself."

Court papers revealed gruesome details about Vick's dogfighting operation, including the execution of underperforming dogs by electrocution, drowning, hanging and other means. Those details prompted a public backlash against the once-popular NFL star and outraged animal-rights groups, which used the case to call attention to the brutality of dogfighting.

Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL and lost all his lucrative endorsement deals.

Two of Vick's co-defendants were sentenced Nov. 30. Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach got 18 months, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta 21 months. Another co-defendant, Tony Taylor, will be sentenced Friday.

The case began in April when a drug investigation of Vick's cousin led authorities to the former Virginia Tech star's Surry County property, where they found dozens of pit bulls — some of them injured — and equipment associated with dogfighting.

Vick initially denied any knowledge about dogfighting on the property. He changed his story after the three co-defendants pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with the government.

By 8 a.m. Monday, about 50 people were in line outside the courthouse waiting for the doors to open. About two dozen animal rights activists stood across the street holding posters showing injured pit bulls and the messages, "Report Dogfighters" and "Dogs Deserve Justice."

"We want to make sure the focus on the animals in this case isn't lost," said Dan Shannon, spokesman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

Julia Novak arrived with her small beagle, Frankie, who wore a sandwich board with the message on one side: "Dogfighters use dogs like me for bait."

Ryan Eanes, 27, of Richmond, wore his No. 7 Vick jersey as he waited in line.

"We all make mistakes," Eanes said. "I don't support the situation with the animals, but I support him. I believe his apology is sincere."

___

Associated Press writers Hank Kurz Jr. and Zinie Chen Sampson contributed to this report.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He should have gotten the entire 5 years, but at least they gave him some time. I don't believe his apology was sincere, but I hope that his time in jail will make him realize the enormity of what he did.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I think he should have been put in a pen with some of those poor animals they were so busy betting on. And made sure that they hadn't been fed for a while so they were good and hungry!! Sorry, just my opinion. I am not a big fan of pits who have not been raised properly but I hate cr like that even worse!

I hope there was some kind of sidebar that said he was never, ever to be allowed to own ANY kind of animal for the rest of his life!

Sorry for the rant. I just can't handle people like that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I completely agree with you. If you ask me, he should be tied to that "rape barrel" he had for the female dogs on his disgusting farm and tossed into jail like that!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old December 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

" I believe his apology is sincere" WTF!!!!!! If he hadn't got caught he'd still be doing it!!! And anyone who doesn't believe that, loves football (ans hates animals) and idolizes it's players thinking they are some kind of god!! Stupid idiot fool for making a comment like that!!!

As for Vick, may a big huge dog bite his A$$ off !!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I completely agree with you. If you ask me, he should be tied to that "rape barrel" he had for the female dogs on his disgusting farm and tossed into jail like that!
LMAO!!! That would be perfect!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old December 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
" I believe his apology is sincere" WTF!!!!!! If he hadn't got caught he'd still be doing it!!! And anyone who doesn't believe that, loves football (ans hates animals) and idolizes it's players thinking they are some kind of god!! Stupid idiot fool for making a comment like that!!!

As for Vick, may a big huge dog bite his A$$ off !!
Yeah, he's not sorry for anything other than getting caught and losing out on his millions of dollars in endorsements and his football career.

I guarantee you though, once he gets out of jail, there will be some team wanting to hire him. Ricky Williams, is a self professed pot head, and he even quite the Miami Dolphins because he wanted to just stay home and do pot. The team lost a lot of money and their season was pretty much shot. And guess what? They just recently hired him back. After all the mudslinging and all the promises to never hire him again, the guy is back and playing football.

Why? Because these teams and fans all care about the money and the show.

I hope Vick has an epiphany in jail. I don't want him coming out saying he's found Jesus and all the same stuff everyone says, but I really hope he wakes up one day and realizes the reality of what he did and the cruelty of it all. And I hope he is never able to have a decent nights sleep ever again.

Old December 10th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Garden nut

I still think part of his punishment should be to take care of and nurse mutilated, abused animals. Let him deal and live with the sound of animals crying in pain as they try to heal. Putting someone in jail doesn't solve anything for the animals, but is only there to satisfy people.

That sentence is essentially a slap on the wrist.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

..and how much time will he actually serve? He has already been incarcerated since Nov. 19th so that will be taken off for time served. The sentences "famous" people get are a laugh to start with. This just makes it worse. And yes Ancientgirl, I agree with the barrel comment. I figure he should be out be the new year.
Think someone will "arrange" for him to encounter a big dog??? Poetic justice!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 10th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Let me tell you, if I were him, I'd stay away from anywhere that people are walking their dogs. You never know, one of those dogs could get off their leash.

Old December 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I think he'll get something coming to him in jail. Prisoners don't look too kindly on child abusers/molestors or animal abusers. The two things that can't do anything to help themselves.

I hope he rots in hell!
Old December 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Kitty pimp

This is a federal judgement hmm wonder what kind of fed pen he will end up in

M Vick jsut lost what ? about 30 mill a year maybe more
Not that he was a partiularly good QB IMHO My favorite creative sentence from a friend was " give him his job back and make him donate everything but 50 k or so a year "

God Bless the child

'WHen you got money you got lots of friends hanging round the door
When the money's gone and all the spending ends
They don't come round no more "
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:10 PM

I believe he still faces "state" charges as well, so the 23 "er" 18 months he will likely serve in federal prison may not be all the time he does.
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
I still think part of his punishment should be to take care of and nurse mutilated, abused animals. Let him deal and live with the sound of animals crying in pain as they try to heal. Putting someone in jail doesn't solve anything for the animals, but is only there to satisfy people.

That sentence is essentially a slap on the wrist.
I dunno, I think animals can sense when the people around them love them and are hoping for their recovery. It would just be punishing them to have him anywhere near them.

However, I am not at all adverse to having him clean the waste from the doggie cages ..... preferable using his own tooth brush .
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

If I had bet with all my co-workers who said Vick wouldn't do a day in jail I'd be rich.

This sentence will still be seen as too light by many and too harsh by others. The opinions vary. I had no problem with David Tant getting thirty years for dog fighting. Vick has lost millions in salary, forfeited almost another million to care for the seized dogs and his career may be ruined. In April he faces State charges. I guess America now knows that dog fighting can ruin your life.

So please understand my next statement is not 'making an excuse' for Vick but the way this guy was raised he never had a chance. His parents both knew of his dog fighting activities and ignored it, his father even cleaned out the garage so he could have some friends over to dog fight. His parents should pay the price too because as much as he let down millions of fans they let him down. So did everybody who knew of this activity and ignored it because it was Micheal Vick.

Even though some may want this guy thrown away for life (or for thirty years like Tant) his fall has already served a purpose and I'm OK with the sentence as it brought dog fighting to the front pages of mainstream media.

The potential that he had to as a poster child for overcoming hardship to become whatever you want to be...is lost. Instead he has become a poster child for the message that dog fighting is a crime.

Micheal, the judge didn't order it but get some counseling for you and your entire family.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally, I am glad he got the sentence he received. I am surprised it was that long. Sure, he may get out earlier than this.

At first I hoped he would get a sentence that included time with animals but have changed my mind. I hope he is never allowed to take care of any animal or be around any animal.

I hope his apology is even somewhat sincere.

I hope he has learned from this and if not him, I hope that what he is facing will help others to know it was wrong.

Diane
Old December 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope his room mate "Bubba"'s real name is BEN DOVER...

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 11th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

You can blame his upbringing all you want, but the bottom line is, he knew it was wrong and illegal period.
Many grow up with abusive parents, if they abuse their children, it's still NOT okay.
many grow up with drug or alcoholic parents, If they grow up and abuse drugs or alcohol, it's not okay!!

My point is, I am so sick and tired of people blaming their upbringing on their behaviour!! It's about bloddy well time people start accepting responsiability for their own actions!! Enough of the lame " bad upbringing" excuses!! IMO!!

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
You can blame his upbringing all you want, but the bottom line is, he knew it was wrong and illegal period.

My point is, I am so sick and tired of people blaming their upbringing on their behaviour!! It's about bloddy well time people start accepting responsiability for their own actions!! Enough of the lame " bad upbringing" excuses!! IMO!!
I don't think it is lame to understand the problem and I am not making excuses for him. And first let me make it perfectly clear I HATE dog fighters. One of the major issues for dog fighting's growth is that dog fighting is not seen as a crime by a lot of people. These opinions are often formed in the early years. They find others like them and the problem just worsens.

When David Tant was busted comments in dog fighting forums included comments such as "god gave us dominon over the animals" and "David Tant is a good god fearing man".

On the syndicated Tom Joyner Morning show which has a HUGE audience an on air personality made this comment after Vick's arrest "it's just a dog, it's just a dog" why are they coming down on him for that "for some people this is their livelihood". An email complaint that this is maybe part of the problem got a "thank you for your comments". This radio show is listened to by millions in the US.

Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis was quickly backing away from this comment after Redskin management hauled his butt into the office "I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog" "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business." He said it was common where he grew up.

"A survey of Chicago's school children has found that students are almost universally aware of dogs fighting in their neighborhood, with 1 out of every 6 children admitting that they have attended a dog fight (http://www.anticruelty.org/site/epage/36628_576.htm. Which is why programs such as these start discussing dog fighting in the seventh and eight grades.
http://www.anticruelty.org/site/epage/36619_576.htm

The message has to get out that it is wrong. Visit this page to see hip hop icon Russel Simmons and his anti dogfighting message.
http://video.hsus.org/?fr_chl=a87cb9...177083a&rf=bm&

Often the only indication that dog fighters know it is wrong is that they keep their activities underground. For many dogfighting is acceptable because it is all around them and nobody is telling them it is wrong. I think the judge just did.

Last edited by twodogsandacat; December 11th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Let me tell you, if I were him, I'd stay away from anywhere that people are walking their dogs. You never know, one of those dogs could get off their leash.
Preferably an ill-tempered Pit-Bull Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy View Post
I think he'll get something coming to him in jail. Prisoners don't look too kindly on child abusers/molestors or animal abusers. The two things that can't do anything to help themselves.

I hope he rots in hell!
Amen sister!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
I dunno, I think animals can sense when the people around them love them and are hoping for their recovery. It would just be punishing them to have him anywhere near them.

However, I am not at all adverse to having him clean the waste from the doggie cages ..... preferable using his own tooth brush .
ONLY if he has to use that toothbrush on his teeth afterwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Oooh, sweet!!!

A real idiot. Did he think that being a "celebrity" was going to allow him to do anything he wants? Everyone knows that pro-players were let through schools on their athletic performance and are total numb-brains (humble excuses to the 1% who are not). I guess he just proved that!
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I for one still don't buy it!!

How can you watch 2 dogs go at it, in a small pen blood and and fur flying, watching them rip eachothers body parts off piece by painfull piece...ears, noses, legs, skin.....more blood flying the painfull screaming ...one dog winning, the loser urinating and deficating in fear and shock....the loser being inhumanely murdered by man.....if the other dog doesn't kill him first......

OMG how the hell can anyone say that's okay? alright? It's just upbringing

I don't care where you were born, or who raised you, you KNOW it's wrong!

Old December 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

I have no idea how either, I really don't. I just don't get it but the problem is huge.

My point was simply that the problem goes beyond Vick. His mother ignored it. His father cleaned out the garage so he could fight dogs. His grandfather told him to stop fighting dogs ....or at least put the house in somebody else's name cause he needed to distance himself from it. There you have it, three generations that see nothing really wrong with it,just hide it. I'm not making this up and this story repeats over and over. How do you stop third generation stupidity?

To your point about knowing right from wrong some do know it. In another recent case a son told his father to stop fighting dogs. He didn't and the son turned him in. The father (Phillip Maffei ) got three years. Sons should learn lessons from their fathers not the other way around.

I have supported the South Carolina Attorney General's Anti Dog Fighting Task Force back when it was funded by donations (because it was the only way I could do anything to a dog fighter -- legally) and have followed some of their cases. They have had a measured success but it's sometimes hard to convict. As much as it may not seem like much twenty three months is way more than I hoped for due to Vick's fame. To me this is all win.

I believe the programs that try to stop the cycle also have great value. It's going to take more than prosecutions to end this blight on society.
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Swift Tribe

Quote:

How can you watch 2 dogs go at it, in a small pen blood and and fur flying, watching them rip eachothers body parts off piece by painfull piece...ears, noses, legs, skin.....more blood flying the painfull screaming ...one dog winning, the loser urinating and deficating in fear and shock....the loser being inhumanely murdered by man.....if the other dog doesn't kill him first......

did you know that the concussions people get from prowrestling brings on insanity? life is a matter of perspective. society tells you whats wrong for the most part. it was society that made those rules to begin with. majority rules. if a majority of folks in your life tell you this is wrong, you feel its wrong. if a majority of the people tell you that its right and you still feel its wrong, you just learn to accept it. how many things do we do in life, accept socially, that is painful to others?

there are varying degrees of misguided compasses.

again, to restate what twodogsandacat said, its not an excuse but it is a reason.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Not nearly enough time but look on the bright side he lost millions and that makes me smile. I hope they pick him up as soon as he is released and throw his sorry a$$ in prison again. I did not hear but are they fining him too because he should have to pay for all of the vet bills and any other costs incurred from his abuse. he can afford it he made money on these poor animals not time to cough it up. Besides that would hurt him the most parting with his money. I also hope he is some dog lovers prison bitch
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I did not hear but are they fining him too because he should have to pay for all of the vet bills and any other costs incurred from his abuse. he can afford it he made money on these poor animals not time to cough it up. Besides that would hurt him the most parting with his money. I also hope he is some dog lovers prison bitch
Oh he's lost and is continuing to lose a ton of money over this.

"U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson on Monday sentenced the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback to 23 months in federal prison, three years of supervised release and ordered him to pay $928,000 for the care of the more than 45 dogs that survived the organized fights".
http://www.thetimesonline.com/articl...ae00065b90.txt

The Falcons are also going after $20 million in signing bonuses (with league approval to do so) because he hasn't lived up to his contract (he can't play).

The players union is fighting it saying it was a performance bonus which can't be forfeited. District Judge David Doty didn't say how or when he might rule so we need to wait on that one.
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat View Post

The players union is fighting it saying it was a performance bonus which can't be forfeited. District Judge David Doty didn't say how or when he might rule so we need to wait on that one.
Give me a break Performance bonus? Well I guess he did perform in court, he performed like a remorseful person, which I don't believe for a minute.

Old December 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat View Post
I have no idea how either, I really don't. I just don't get it but the problem is huge.

My point was simply that the problem goes beyond Vick. His mother ignored it. His father cleaned out the garage so he could fight dogs. His grandfather told him to stop fighting dogs ....or at least put the house in somebody else's name cause he needed to distance himself from it. There you have it, three generations that see nothing really wrong with it,just hide it. I'm not making this up and this story repeats over and over. How do you stop third generation stupidity?

To your point about knowing right from wrong some do know it. In another recent case a son told his father to stop fighting dogs. He didn't and the son turned him in. The father (Phillip Maffei ) got three years. Sons should learn lessons from their fathers not the other way around.

I have supported the South Carolina Attorney General's Anti Dog Fighting Task Force back when it was funded by donations (because it was the only way I could do anything to a dog fighter -- legally) and have followed some of their cases. They have had a measured success but it's sometimes hard to convict. As much as it may not seem like much twenty three months is way more than I hoped for due to Vick's fame. To me this is all win.

I believe the programs that try to stop the cycle also have great value. It's going to take more than prosecutions to end this blight on society.
I don' t disagree with what you say....It's just I find it a very hard pill to swallow
I just feel that if you see a living creature screaming in pain and bleeding, and you are the direct cause of the bleeding, pain, and eventual death of this creature, although you may in a sick way enjoy it, and profit from it, you would instinctually if not morally know it's wrong. JMO
If they didn't think there was anything wrong with it, they would't be hiding it,being secretive, discreet, create a whole underworld to do it. They would be protesting, rallying, and going to their government officials to have it legalized no?

I think they know it's wrong but choose to do it anyway for sick kicks and money!!

Kudos to that son!! a break in a very sick cycle!!

Last edited by happycats; December 12th, 2007 at 06:39 PM.