Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:20 PM

What should I Feed 8 month old Mini Schnauzer

I've been trying to decide what "grown up" food I should feed Rudy. He is on Hill's Science Diet puppy food....vet recommended. She said Acana was too much protein for him. I purchased a new bag of Hill's Prescription Diet t/d Oral Health dog food to incorporate into his diet. When I opened the bag I was surprised at how large the kibble is...about 1 1/2 inches square. I was told he only needs approx. 15 kibbles a day. Anyway, he thinks it's a treat. He runs out the doggie door with it and it takes him a good 10 minutes to eat it. I know it's good for his teeth, but I can't imagine how long it would take him to eat 15 in a day . I'm also worried about him choking on them, they're so big. Any suggestions? On another note...he is a very fast eater and this does slow him down. He's also not fussy what he eats....loves food!
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a "Global" pet food around you? They are very knowledgable about feeding your pets. Stay away from "Hills"
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM

No I live in a very small town. Just have one grocery store. I have to travel 30 minutes to another small city to get food. No Global, no Petsmart, no Petcetera, natta, zip. What's bad about Hill's?
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

"Small town means you have a feed supply store??? They have quality food sometimes.....
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigginDaisy View Post
He is on Hill's Science Diet puppy food....vet recommended. She said Acana was too much protein for him.
Of course she did . She doesn't make money off of Acana, but does from Hill's. Plus, all of her nutrition "education" came from Hill's marketing reps. The part about Acana being too high in protein shows how misinformed she is.

Quote:
What's bad about Hill's?
Just take a look at the ingredients:

Quote:
Brewers Rice, Whole Grain Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Powdered Cellulose, Pork Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Soybean Mill Run, Soybean Oil, Chicken Liver Flavor,....
Then take a look at your bill and see how much you paid for all that rice, corn, by-products and sawdust.

Hill's is all about marketing and making money, not about the health of your pet. There are much better foods out there, hopefully you'll find something in your area. I've never ordered food online, but maybe that would be an option if you can't find anything closer.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I've been trying to decide what "grown up" food I should feed Rudy. He is on Hill's Science Diet puppy food....vet recommended. She said Acana was too much protein for him.

Dogs are pretty much carnivores, so yup, they should be eating meat protein

I purchased a new bag of Hill's Prescription Diet t/d Oral Health dog food to incorporate into his diet. When I opened the bag I was surprised at how large the kibble is...about 1 1/2 inches square. I was told he only needs approx. 15 kibbles a day. Anyway, he thinks it's a treat. He runs out the doggie door with it and it takes him a good 10 minutes to eat it. I know it's good for his teeth, but I can't imagine how long it would take him to eat 15 in a day . I'm also worried about him choking on them, they're so big. Any suggestions? On another note...he is a very fast eater and this does slow him down. He's also not fussy what he eats....loves food!
I really don't think vets read the ingredients on the bags of the food they sell .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:01 PM

What about Royal Canin? They make a dog food specifically designed for Miniature Schnauzers? Not sure what that's about??
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What about Royal Canin? They make a dog food specifically designed for Miniature Schnauzers? Not sure what that's about??
Same crap, different pile. More marketing gimmicks.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:11 AM

Any more suggestions?
Old April 29th, 2011, 05:28 AM

I think the suggestions so far are right on the money. I would look into ordering online if at all possible - or, you plan a trip to a bigger city where you can buy something and then stock up?

Here's some sites you can buy online from (so it seems) :

http://www.thecleverk9.ca/naturaldogfood.html
http://www.petfoodcanada.com/
http://www.petonly.ca/

I've never used the above sites, but maybe it's a start?
Old April 29th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Any more suggestions?
What about looking into a home-made raw diet? When done correctly, it's the ultimate in healthy and can often be cheaper than any commercial food. And the ingredients would be readily available wherever you live. More info for you to check out:
http://rawfed.com/
http://www.caberfeidh.com/Truth.htm

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you looked for a feed supply store yet? I used one in my small town and got quality food and they were willing to order a product in for me.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Have you looked for a feed supply store yet? I used one in my small town and got quality food and they were willing to order a product in for me.
Don't have a feed supply store here. Would be just as close to drive 30 minutes to the nearest small city to buy at the local pet shop.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM

You would be better off then to drive the 30min to the small city to go to a proper pet store and buy quality food for your dog. When it comes down to it, a 30 minute drive every month or two is definitely worth the health of your pup! Plus you must go into "town" sometimes to do other things I would imagine.

Spend some time reading online about quality pet foods and you will understand why it is important to feed better food. Also, as mentioned, dogs are meant to eat protein. Most good dog foods are formulated for all life stages. You can change the amount you feed based on your dog's age, activity level, and weight.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM

I agree with taking the trip.
Especially if you don't have a farm feeds store.
Those stores usually cater to dogs, and if they don't they can also have it ordered in.
Best thing is finding things with no fillers, or corn products / byproducts in it.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM

We have a 1 year old schnauzer, and we feed him Diamond Nature food, and he loves it! No bi-products, and it's good for them! It's about 15$ for the small bag, but we think its well worth it.
Old June 7th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Darford Dog Food

Has anybody heard of Darford Dog Food Company? It's started out and is manufactured in Vernon, BC....only 45 minute drive away from where I live. Just starting to research it now, but was wondering if anyone here has tried it. They make a food called Zero/G and make lots of holistic & natural treats.