Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old October 6th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Unhappy Pet Store Nightmare

My story begins about 5 months ago. When I was younger I owned a Shar Pei, so I decided it was time to get a new friend. I started researching different breeds to figure out which would best suite my family. So we decided that a Boston Terrier was perfect!! Let the quest for our new addition begin....I was searching for breeders in our area, which was difficult because there arent many, when my husband decided to stop at a pet store on his way home from work. He bought a Boston from this pet store. I was upset with him and told him about puppy mills, and told him we shouldve gone with a breeder. But whats done is done, and I have to admit, when I saw my new boy TYE, I was in love. He was a beautiful male Boston, brindle in color, very happy, playful, and cuddly. Well within a few days, he wasnt so happy, playful, and cuddly. He was very sick. I took him to my vet, she did tests, gave him a vitamin B shot, a palatable food supplement, and a prescription. It wasnt working, he was getting severley dehydrated and needed to go on I.V. While he was in under I.V. The vet ran some more tests. My poor baby had parvo. We only had Tye for 2 weeks when he passed away. It was a very horrible experience for my whole family. Please, if anyone reading this is even considering buying from a pet store, DONT. Trust me, you dont want this to happen to you. That poor puppy had to go through so much pain and hurt, all because of some stupid puppy mill. I felt horrible, the only good thing that came out of this is that at least Tye had a home for a short while, and he didnt die alone in some horrible pet store. I would also like to add that I returned to the pet store after all this, and the owner wouldnt come out and talk to me, I also walked around looking into all the cages with all the pets in them. In the majority of the cages, there was plenty of diarrea, and all the dogs were sleeping, even when i made attempts to get their attention. Something doesnt sound right. Again...PLEASE stay away from pet stores.
Thank-you
Old October 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

First off I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss. You obviously do not need a lecture you already know all about BYB and puppymills. What pet store did you get this poor baby from? I really think when these things happen the store name should be mentioned especially when they won't even take responsibility or have the common decency to come out and talk to you. I will never shop at a store that sells animals I can't support that type of behaviour. This is so common they charge you a fortune for a sick dog and they give you some kind of guarantee but do not stand behind it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:31 PM

I am so sorry you had to go through that! It is hard to resist cute puppies in the window of pet shops, and it sickens me that store owners use the cuties to sell sick puppies. I also no longer shop at any petstore that sells animals, including the big ones like Petland and Petsmart. Thank you for posting your story to raise awareness. Hopefully Tye's death will not be in vain and someone who is getting a pup will read this and buy from a responsible breeder.
Old October 6th, 2004, 11:36 PM
~Cat Servent~

So sorry for your loss, but you're right at least that little fella got to have a home if even for a short while....there is a pet store here in town and on occassion I go in and check on the little pups and kittens...and they all look so sad, and many look sick. It breaks my heart that there are not laws to prevent that....I think it is really high time that the governement gets involved and updates our old crusty out of date laws on the treatment of animals. It should be illegal to 'sell' a companion animal period. It should be solely adoption, that way the legit breeders could still make money (after being liscenced and inspected regularly) from adoption fees and it would allow some control over who would be raising these animals. I also think that all companion animals should have to be liscenced in some way so that the owners have some level of responsibility. But then again I live in la-la land so what are the chances?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:33 AM

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.
I hate pet stores that sell animals. The one down here in Halifax is aweful.
I know right now they have a Shih Tzu (Which looks like a Lapso Apso) who is now 5 1/2 months old, he has been there for months. All he does is sleep and he is almost full grown. It makes me sooooo mad. I wish I could just go in there and take him and run. He deserves to be in a home and out in the sunshine.
Every puppy in there is always eating the shredded paper thats on the bottom of their cells, its so sad.

3 very furry kids -

2 black cats - Pepper and Joey
1 Shih Tzu Puppy - Sophie
Old October 8th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Chocolate

I'm So sorry to hear about ur loss... *hugs to u and ur family*
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Hi

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. My pup (also bought at a pet store, and also bought by my husband) is also suffering with Parvo right now. He is at the vets and we are praying for a recovery. I have had a little better luck with the pet store than you did. They actually were very concerned and are going to help with the vet bills. Just curious though, what city do you live in. I'm in Hamilton, On. and the pet store he bought my pup in had your breed there. (my posts are in general forum under Parvo virus)