Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Pet free photography

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Question Ok bug people, what is it?

I have not seen this bug before last year and then I only saw one or two. Now that cooler weather has hit it seems like they are coming out of the woodwork. Seriously! I have removed about six of them from the house in the last week. I don't think I've even seen any outside. Just in the house.
It is about 3/4 of an inch long with a hard shell. The back has some interesting designs in it. I don't think it bites but you never know. I probably should know what it is but I don't. Just did a search on cockroaches because I have never seen any of those either. It does not resemble them thank dawg!!!
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ you may have to wait til morning when Bendyfoot logs on! she is a bug guru!! I hate bugs!!! :sad:
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no idea...but....EWWWW!!!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

Looks like an Earwig--maybe? There's a bad bout with them lately.

Ironically, I sat through a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) seminar ALL day today and they scared the bee-gee-bees out of the importing sector about all kinds of bugs!

According to the seminar today, someone in Ontario thought that earwigs would be ideal to kill off some kind of disease and imported/bred them. We now have an over abundance of an earwig infestation.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; October 22nd, 2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Looks like an Earwig--maybe? Therea a bad bout with them lately.

Ironically, I sat through a Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) seminar ALL day today and they scared the bee-gee-bees out of the importing sector about all kinds of bugs!

According to the seminar today, someone in Ontario thought that earwigs would be ideal to kill off some kind of disease and imported/bred them. We now have an over abundance of an earwig infestation.
Nope. Way too big to be an earwig. I hate those things with a passion!! We have tons of them too. This bug is interesting enough I don't want to kill it unless I find out it's a cockroach of some kind or dangerous to the cats and dogs.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
You can call me DOG!

Can you capture one in a glass jar and take it to Dr. King at the Queenston Bridge? He's with CFIA and would be able to determine what it is or, find someone that could determine the species and if it's harmful to our enviroment.

While we don't want to see it intrude or harm our pets, it would be ideal to determine whether or not it would be damaging to our plants, trees and natural surroundings.

Just a thought...

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Doggie Wench

It looks like a beetle of some sort. Did you by any chance bring in large amounts garden vegetables? Or do you find these bugs near where veggies are stored?

It's hard to tell from your photos but does it look something like this?
Attached Images

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

I'll see first if bendy can identify it. I don't have spare time to be looking for a dr right now. If I happen to see another one I may put it in a jar... airtight preferably.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It looks like the longhorn beetles (sorry, don't know their real name) that we see around here. I think they might be associated somehow with the pines, but that's just a guess. I see them a lot, but they've never bitten me...or anyone here to my knowledge. They do, however, seem to pose well for pics. Did it look like this:

Name:  Longhorn beetle 6-21-09 A.JPG
Views: 650
Size:  60.1 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:25 PM

It looks like a western conifer seed bug. If you google it and select 'images' in the top left corner, does that bring up photos that look similar?
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM

Whoops, Hazel, seems like we cross-posted.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, ya, Marcha! That one seems to have the same square shoulders 14+'s lil friend has! The ones we have here aren't quite as square and don't have the reddish coloration...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 23rd, 2009, 06:59 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
It looks like a western conifer seed bug. If you google it and select 'images' in the top left corner, does that bring up photos that look similar?
I think that is it. Or very close to it. As I said, I hadn't seen any up till last year and then only a few. So far this year it's been around 6 or so. Good to know they don't cause any damage to anything.
Sorry about the quality of pics. I couldn't find anything else that would work to get a good pic. Crappy camera, no good spot for him to pose.
Thanks Marcha.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I have seen something similar in my house and outside,but they were all black..square shoulders and long antennas..
I've seen Roaches in the Caribbean and SCarolina and they really give me the creeps
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM
Geek Club CEO

Haven't read other replies, but it's some kind of "true bug": of the Family Coreidae
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It looks like the longhorn beetles (sorry, don't know their real name) that we see around here. I think they might be associated somehow with the pines, but that's just a guess. I see them a lot, but they've never bitten me...or anyone here to my knowledge. They do, however, seem to pose well for pics. Did it look like this:

Attachment 59222
That's called a Pine Sawyer longhorn beetle (good call on the pine association).
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks for the help in identifying my little creature everyone. Bendy - that info was pretty much what I needed to figure out how they came to be in my house. I am/have been collecting seeds so I would think I probably am bringing them in with the seed pods. I don't know how I missed a "seed" that big though!!!

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
-

Do they give off a stinky sweet odor if you squish them? If so, then I agree with Marcha ......they are western conifer seed bugs aka cedar bugs aka stink bugs.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Do they give off a stinky sweet odor if you squish them? If so, then I agree with Marcha ......they are western conifer seed bugs aka cedar bugs aka stink bugs.
I don't know if they stink when squished. I guide the little buggers onto a paper towel and release them outside. Hubby is the squisher in this household. Although....... the kitties were trying to get one. I'm sure they would have tried "squishing" it too. With their teeth!!

I'm glad we have Marcha and Bendy here to help identify unusual bugs. I only know the more common ones. Can't say I'm crazy about many.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:26 PM
-

I don't squish them either but hubby will so that's how I know "the smell".

If they are stink bugs (cedar bugs) then they are completely harmless although totally disgusting.