Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 9th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Why won't my dog pee outside?

We take her out for extended periods of time and she refuses to go, and then we let her in the house and she pees. She is a 6 month old Great Dane. When we take her out she just stands there or sits down and looks around, then she comes in the house and pees. Any suggestions?
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Any suggestions?
walk her until she pees and then reward her. either with treats and praises , or just praises.

and I mean praise .... you neighbors might think of you as but , when she does it , tell her "good peepee , good girl" , be extra happy. It always worked for my guys.
Old February 9th, 2010, 09:51 PM
-

oh and by the way ..... I think you're too "new" to post pictures but as soon as you can , I would love to see your girl , I loooove great danes
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:03 PM
-

How long have you had her? Is she new to you or has this been ongoing for six months. If she is new to you it may just be transitional and as she gets used to you, the rules and her new home she will "get it".

What are you using to clean up the urine in the house? Make sure that whatever you are using that it completely removes all odours or she will view that as "her spot".

Are you taking her on neighbourhood walks where she can check the "fire hydrant email" or just round and about your yard? Some dogs need that extra olfactory hit to make them want to pee.

How are you responding when you see her pee inside? Catching her midstream and verbally correcting her as you take her outside to pee (make sure to use two completely different voices in your caughtya correction and your encouraging or praising voice.

And practice, practice, practice. Consistency is critical.
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM

well, Im not sure I can stay awake all night. I had her outside with me for TWO HOURS! I watched her the whole time and not a drop. On the second TWO HOUR strech after coming in she peed! HELP!!!!!!!!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...2/DSCN2996.jpg
Old February 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You need to WALK her.

Not all dogs will go to the bathroom just because they're outside. Our oldest dog needs at least a mile walk before she'll even consider using the washroom, and it's just the way she is. Sometimes dogs need more stimulation because they either have great bladder control, or they haven't quite caught on to house-training.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM

well, Im not sure I can stay awake all night. I had her outside with me for TWO HOURS! I watched her the whole time and not a drop. On the second TWO HOUR strech after coming in she peed! HELP!!!!!!!!!

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/f...2/DSCN2996.jpg
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:57 AM

It will get easier I promise! You just have to be consistant with not letting her in until she goes! Otherwise she'll never catch on.

Good luck!
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

exercise and walking..........you become uncomfortable after walking if you yourself have to use the washroom, so will your dog, you don't mention if you have another dog or not, if not then like others have said, go around the neighbourhood, let her smell where others have gone and that will trigger her to go.
Old February 10th, 2010, 10:12 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Once a consistant routine has been established you may find she'll even wait for that time. Mine will go out back to play but rarely do they go & prefer to do their thing not in their playground. Knowing that it forces me to be on time even though some times I really rather be reading this forum for example

The more she smells the lol firehydrant emails the more she'll save it so that she can leave her scent. Hey she might even surprise you learning how to throw in that little attitude kick afterwards

Six month she's still a puppy, give her time and good luck
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Wny won't my

You can also clean up the in-house with a rag or paper towel and deposit it outside where you would like her to pee. It might be enough of a stimulation for her to catch on and if she does continue to take her to that exact spot and lots of praise when she goes.
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:24 PM

Delilah's training

She finally peed outside! It only took four days. We do have two other dogs a Boston puppy and a two year old chihuahua. Chloe the chihuacua does not tolerate her well but the Boston loves her. Maybe because they are the same age. Our last Great Dane was very well-behaved but Delilah is a challenge. She now eats the pine cones from the tree where she has chosen to pee. Any ideas to make her stop. She eats a few and then vomits them up. She will not eat a dog treat but eats the pine cones. She was not at all socialized with people prior to comming to our house and has spent the first six months in a filthy small concrete kennel with here mother and two sisters. She also paces in the house and will not sit down. Any suggestions?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:15 AM

Sounds like she is just getting used to you and the place. Try to ignore her once in a while.

For the peeing and practice, I was going to say to monitor the water intake more. Control it if possible. Or let her drink while you are waiting for her to go outside. They have to pee after they drink...

Although she is just a puppy (6months?) and I think my dog was also still peeing in the house at that time. Just couldn't hold it I guess.

Another factor sometimes is when you take them out to pee, it has to be pee time and not play time. This could slow down your progress.