Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 5th, 2003, 01:02 PM

What breed of Tabby am I?

I adopted a tabby from the Humane Society last year. I would like to know what breed he is because he isn't a regular tabby. Toby was 8mos when we got him since that he grew alot. His face change, he grew longer. He looks like a wild cat. He has these nice tiger stripes on his head, spots on his stomach, stripe on his paws and face and rings on his tail. Most tabbies don't have spots on their body. I would like to know what kind of breed he is? I figure he might be an Ocicat. What do you guys tell me what he is. Here is a pictures of Toby:
Attached Images

Old March 1st, 2003, 06:43 PM

ocicat

Hi cats_meow,
I think your cat could possibly be an ocicat or even an american shorthair but the only way to find out would be to take it to a breeder to have a good look at it and a breeder could tell you. I found a gorgeous kitten this past summer and he looked very wild and this past few months he has lossed all his dark black stripes and is getting spots as well, and even getting some really different orangey-brown on him. I don't have any pics of when I first got him home but this is how he looks now.
Attached Images

Old March 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM

forgot other photo, lol

I forgot to give you a picture of his wild looking face.
Attached Images

Old July 12th, 2003, 12:35 AM

Sounds like my tabby

Hello cats_meow,
Your description of your kitty sounds a lot like mine. I got mine when she was 7 weeks old from a shelter near the Mexican border in U.S. She's always been on the wild side (spitting, acting a little agressive, stalking..etc.) The vet said that she might have wild blood in her, it wasn't very uncommon. She is now 3 years old. She is a lot friendlier but she still has a feisty nature, which I love. She looks like one of the ancient sacred cats. She has both spots and stripes. She is about 15 lbs, very muscular and larger than average tabbies. Her paws are black and her ears are kind of reddish. She is incredibly intelligent too. She plays fetch and knows many commands.
I am thinking that she might be an Ocicat because of large ears and pointy face. Your kitty does not look like a typical Oci because he has a roundish face and round eyes and smaller ears. American short-hair is definitely a possibility, they are called Tigers in the U.S If he has wild blood, it is probably a mountain cat which are fluffier and have round faces. Mine is probably a desert one.
I hope this helps..
By the way, how is your cat's temperment?
Attached Images

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM

Hi Ocicat,

I am new here and was going through some of the discussions when I noticed your email. I have had Macarel Tabbies my whole life and this is what kind of tabby your cat is. You can tell this by the marking on their faces above their eyes. The stripes form an "M". You can check your local bookstore or do a web search for all the info on this breed. They are an amazing cat to have.

The picture is beautiful!!