Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Molly's mama

it's ok- hijack away! Its all plant-related anyways- I am learning something new about gardening every day thanks to you guys!
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I walked out to the road this morning and the dogbane was blooming. If that's what you have, mollywog, the flowers look like this:

Name:  100_7314.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  67.1 KB

They come off the ends of the stems like this (Ignore the maple leaf on the left in front of the blooms. The flowers belong to the leaves on the right, which come off the stem opposite to each other...)

Name:  100_7311.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  70.8 KB

The flowers are really quite small--maybe a quarter inch or so across...less than half an inch for sure...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 15th, 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: hazel has always been directionally challenged :o
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Molly's mama

Update!

ok- update with some new pics..
hopefully this one isn't too big- lets give it a try...
Lady's Mantle just starting to bloom (everything is slow up here in the North!)
Attached Images

Old July 15th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Molly's mama

ok- it seems to have worked (hopefully it works for you, Hazel!)

It turns out I do have real Tiger Lilies! I came home from my weekend away to find these bulbils at the stem! Might be a few more weeks before they bloom though.
Name:  tiger.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  82.7 KB

In the meantime, these pretty lilies are starting to bloom- the one stalk has 11 blooms on it!
Name:  lily1.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  87.1 KB
Name:  lily2.JPG
Views: 203
Size:  17.5 KB
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Molly's mama

and last 3 pics...
The Thrift is finally blooming, tiny delicate white blooms
Name:  thrift.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  82.8 KB
The purple Asters seem to have taken on a deeper hue.. so pretty
Name:  purple.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  87.5 KB
and my sunflower seeds I planted last week are doing well! Hopefully I will see blooms before the first frost (I planted them kinda late
Name:  sunflowers.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  93.3 KB
Old July 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Molly's mama

yikes. Those last 3 pics were kinda huge, weren't they!? Sorry.. but too lazy to fix it.. gotta go make dinner !
Old July 15th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Garden nut

Yay for Tiger Lilies!

Your other lily I think may not be very far removed from a species type.

Lovely!
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Yay for Tiger Lilies!

Your other lily I think may not be very far removed from a species type.

Lovely!
Thanks Ceara. I like the lilies because they are sooo easy- all I had to do was show up!
These ones that are already blooming don't have any of those bulbils on the stems. It will be interesting to compare the petals once the "real" Tiger Lilies bloom.
If you cut a lily for an indoor flower arrangement, will it continue to bloom? Or should I wait until its fully bloomed to cut it? I would love to enjoy them inside as well as out, seeing as I have so many of them!
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Molly's mama

ok- just a few more pics! They should be not so big this time...
First off- My mom bought me two of these perennials to plant in my flower beds. This one and a light pink one. The name escapes me right now but they do grow to be quite tall. The colours remind me of watercolour paint, I love them!
Name:  notsure.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  19.0 KB
Next, a herb container that my mom planted for me- cute, eh?
Name:  herbs.JPG
Views: 307
Size:  11.9 KB
And last, Molly, being such a good girl practicing stay at the front door!! (with a new welcome mat!)
Name:  mollywelcome.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.0 KB
ok that's it, I swear!
Old July 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great close-ups, mollywog! Thrift is so pretty...and those lilies are spectacular! I love your "watercolor" plant, too.

Molly is looking very well-behaved there. She must practice quite a lot to get the 'stay' things so well. The Pack is mightily impressed. Plus they think she's such a pretty girl

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Molly,I've never seen Lily-buds like that,on the stem,are they wild lillies???

The water-coloured ones are very pretty.
Love your Welcome mat and pretty Molly,what a good girl
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post

The water-coloured ones are very pretty.
Love your Welcome mat and pretty Molly,what a good girl
They could be wild lilies, like I said, I just showed up and they were here!!! The gardens haven't been looked after for years, so they could either be wild or old/ overgrown/ crossbred?? I can't wait for the tiger lilies to open up!

Yes, Molly was on her best behaviour when I snapped that pic. Shes really good at not bolting out open doors- thank Dog! Otherwise I would never be able to keep up with her!! Shes sooo fast!
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Molly's mama

oh, Chico, do you mean the little dark bulbils at the base of each leaf? Apparently those are where you would propegate new lilies from, and they are the sign of a "true" tiger lily!
(CearaQC informed me of this! http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-arti...ng-lilies.html )
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
If you cut a lily for an indoor flower arrangement, will it continue to bloom? Or should I wait until its fully bloomed to cut it? I would love to enjoy them inside as well as out, seeing as I have so many of them!
Yes it will. But for the sake of the bulb and next year's blooms, don't cut more than half the stalk. Leave the rest of the foliage to "feed" the bulb.

And you might want to cut out the stamens before you take it indoors. Lily pollen is hard to get off clothes.

Quote:
oh, Chico, do you mean the little dark bulbils at the base of each leaf? Apparently those are where you would propegate new lilies from, and they are the sign of a "true" tiger lily!
(CearaQC informed me of this! http://www.lilies.org/view-nals-arti...ng-lilies.html )
Yes those are stem bulbils. There are a few kinds of lilies that produce them, not always tiger.

I have a plain yellow lily that likes to make underground runners instead of bulbils. The native Canadian Lily called Lilium canadense also makes underground runners. But I don't have any of those. Wish I did!

Stem bulbils are basically a natural cloning system, just like the bulb scale clones (bulb scale clones help when critters eat the bulbs and leave little bits behind and each scale can produce up to 5 baby bulbs). Each should be true to the parent type. Lilies are amazing plants.

When the stem bulblets are nice and plump and black, you can pull them off. Put into a plastic zip bag with a bit of slightly damp peat moss or potting soil. You can put these in the fridge until you can share them with others, or share right away. Being in the fridge for a few weeks won't hurt them at all and kind of simulates being outside in late autumn.

When they finally send up a leaf, it looks almost just like grass. Three years usually to get to blooming size.

The lily that I was thinking not far removed from a wild species type, is the one with lots of space between the petals. Maybe write to the North American Lily Society and see if they can ID it for you. That's a keeper and I wouldn't mind a couple of bulb scales from that one!

I'll take a pic of what baby bulbs look like on scales for you. I have a large freezer bag full of them! IMO, it's a super quick way to get tons of new ones and it's so easy. (The ones in the bag were "unfortunate" bulbs that got "accidentally" sliced up when I was digging up rouge maple tree seedlings. So I didn't want to waste them, tore the scales off and put into the bag. Voila! Two months later, nice sized baby bulbs to plant out.)
Attached Images

Last edited by CearaQC; July 16th, 2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Turns out I was wrong- I am pretty sure they ARE Wild Tiger Lilies now! I was out for a walk in the bush this morning and came across the exact same plant, with the little bulbils!!
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Garden nut

You found some wild? Gimme gimme gimme *drool*

Old July 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
You found some wild? Gimme gimme gimme *drool*

Ceara, if I knew how, I could mail you some "seeds"- do you know how I would go about doing that????
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Garden nut

Seeds not really good for lilies, in my opinion. I never had luck with them. Baby bulbs, scale cloning or bulbils is the best way to go, guaranteed a new plant that's identical to the parent. Lily seeds don't always have a viable embryo inside.

The bulbils in a tiny sandwich bag with a little potting soil/peat moss/vermiculite/perlite, OR gently move away soil from the bulb and rip off whole pieces of scales. The scales have to be whole, including the little bit that's part of the root area (basal plate). A bulb the size of your palm will safely endure about 10 scales removed, but any more may cause it to not bloom the next season.

Near the bottom of this link is a photo that shows.

http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html

It also has photos of the bulbils too if you're interested.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Molly's mama

Quote:
Seeds not really good for lilies, in my opinion. I never had luck with them. Baby bulbs, scale cloning or bulbils is the best way to go, guaranteed a new plant that's identical to the parent. Lily seeds don't always have a viable embryo inside.

The bulbils in a tiny sandwich bag with a little potting soil/peat moss/vermiculite/perlite, OR gently move away soil from the bulb and rip off whole pieces of scales. The scales have to be whole, including the little bit that's part of the root area (basal plate). A bulb the size of your palm will safely endure about 10 scales removed, but any more may cause it to not bloom the next season.

Near the bottom of this link is a photo that shows.

http://www.mikesbackyardgarden.org/lilyprop.html

It also has photos of the bulbils too if you're interested.
ok... could I send you bulbils in soil in a ziplock? Is that allowed, by Canada Post? Maybe we could do a little trade???
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
ok... could I send you bulbils in soil in a ziplock? Is that allowed, by Canada Post? Maybe we could do a little trade???
Yes and yes. Just needs a bubble envelope. Probably only $1.15 in postage.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Molly's mama

deal! PM me your address, what about your Siberian Iris, are they ok to send?? (sorry- i am totally new at gardening!)
Old July 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Molly's mama

I aksed my mom, and the "watercolour" type perennials she bought me are called Delphinium. Mine are just wee ones but they grow to be quite tall. So pretty!
heres a google image I found of some mature ones...
Attached Images

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, that's cool, mollywog! I've only ever seen blue delphiniums! Yours aren't the typical blue shades I'm familiar with!

Old July 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Garden nut

Beautiful!

I've been wanting Delphiniums for a long time. Tried to germinate seeds I got in trades for 2 years in a row and none germinated so I broke down and purchased a 2 inch pot this year of a dark royal blue but it's still teeny tiny.

Beware, slugs LOVE delphiniums and can probably clear a plant overnight. Set out beer traps. I heard rumor that slugs don't like to cross copper but haven't tested that. The evil things poked holes all in my cabbage too. Lee Valley Tools in Canada sells some neat copper "slug-repellent tape" and flexible copper mesh.

Yes you can send flowers within Canada through the mail no problem. We live in Quebec. I've received live plants in the mail before from Richters Herbs and from trades in Canada no problem. I just need to know when they were sent and when they will arrive because our mailbox is over 1 km away and we don't go get the mail every day. Or if it has a signature requirement, the postman brings the parcel to the house.

Live plants outside of Canada is more tricky. More paperwork, fees, and customs has to examine plant material for bugs and diseases. Especially when shipping to islands.

I will host the trade this fall for the forum so you can send anything you want and I'll send you just as much stuff back. I don't work outside the home so I figured I could donate my time to do it for everyone.
Old July 16th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Molly's mama

thanks for all the info, Ceara. The seed trade will be fun!
I will have to be careful about slugs too! what does beer to do deter them??
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
thanks for all the info, Ceara. The seed trade will be fun!
I will have to be careful about slugs too! what does beer to do deter them??
They LOVE beer. They will say oh yum beer, slime their way there and once in, drown and die happy.

Take a plastic container like yogurt, or a glass jar, or whatever. Dig hole in dirt, put in container where the lip of the container is the same level as the soil. Serve the beer (1/3 to 1/2 bottle), then put a little "roof" over it, just a bit bigger than the container. Slugs like to be nice and cozy so the combo of the "shelter" plus the beer will kill a lot of slugs.

Hey I just found another option!

1 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and save the beer for yourself. lol I'm going to try that now!
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Molly's mama

Quote:
They LOVE beer. They will say oh yum beer, slime their way there and once in, drown and die happy.

Take a plastic container like yogurt, or a glass jar, or whatever. Dig hole in dirt, put in container where the lip of the container is the same level as the soil. Serve the beer (1/3 to 1/2 bottle), then put a little "roof" over it, just a bit bigger than the container. Slugs like to be nice and cozy so the combo of the "shelter" plus the beer will kill a lot of slugs.

Hey I just found another option!

1 cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon yeast, and save the beer for yourself. lol I'm going to try that now!
I VERY pro-beer conservation! Thanks for the "alternative" method!
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:30 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Mollywog, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread for a sec, since Cearaq knows alot more than me about plants...Is it possible for a Daylily to cross with a rose, i have a very pale yellow rose, it's three years old, last year i planted a yellow and orange striped daylily behind it, this year two rose buds came out the pale yellow, and the rest are coming out with the orange stripe...Only other rose in that garden is my " Love" rose, petals are red inside, and white outside.

oh oh and if you're a delphinium fan, do you like Gladeolas(sp?), i find their leaves are much more attractive. If so Mine are getting to the bulb splitting age. I have several different colors, when they bloom i'll post pics for you.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
I VERY pro-beer conservation! Thanks for the "alternative" method!
do you or dh smoke by anychance, put a couple of cigarettes in a jug, or jar or some container and fill with warm water, let it steep into a tea substance, and pour around the plants. Wont hurt your plants and helps get rid of the slugs, also works on aphids and other evil little critters.
Old July 16th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Molly's mama

nope aslan... but I am sure we won't have to look too far for some butts... can you just imagine me walking down Main St peeling butts off the sidewalk, "It's for my slugs! The beer didn't work!"