Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 14th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Post Spaying Questions

I had my dog spayed yesterday, and the vet didn't tell me what to expect following surgery. Diva is sluggish today, and keeps trembling. She is drinking water, and will eat if you hand feed her. She is ultra cuddly.
My male dog won't leave her alone. He looked for her all day yesterday and was so happy when she returned home. Now he is never more than three feet away from her. He must have gotten too close earlier cos she growled at him...something I have never heard her do before.
I guess I am just wondering if that is all normal for post spaying. My vet office is closed today, so I can't ask him.
Any advice is welcome, thanks.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

It's totally normal, the sluggishness and shivers are the remnants of coming out of anestesia. She's a little sore and feeling yucky right now the the growl is nothing major, just let her rest and she should be fine.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM

Whew! Huge sigh of relief. Now can you tell me what is going on with the male, and why he won't leave her alone. He is licking her and acting like she is in heat.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Lol, no problem. That is his bestest friend in the whole world and she is sick. He is trying to make her feel better. Ever notice how attentive and sucky your dogs are when you don't feel well.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My kitties have been very cranky a couple of days after coming out of surgery.

How about a quick call to your vet to ease your mind??

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM
-

psst , her vet isn't open today.
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
psst , her vet isn't open today.
duh, I only have few minutes at a time to read posts and sometimes I read too quickly.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Lol, no problem. That is his bestest friend in the whole world and she is sick. He is trying to make her feel better. Ever notice how attentive and sucky your dogs are when you don't feel well.
You are so right!!! It is so funny how they are in your face when you are sick and want to be left alone.
Thanks for the help.
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
-

crochet, np and welcome

Love4= lol we've all done that, if you read stubborn cat, jim keeps calling me asian
Old March 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Geek Club CEO

After Jaida had her surgery...and anytime she's had any kind of boo-boo...Gracie's always close by...checking her out, sniffing, keeping an eye on things. I think it's pretty normal. And yes, anaesthetic and pain meds make anyone feel a little weird, but dog's can't understand why, so they can be a bit odd for a day or two. She should be more herself tomorrow.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Jamie 82

another post spaying question

this website is great - my puppy just got spayed yesterday and she had the shivers and what not yesterday and a bit this morning, however, she ate a little this morning (hand fed).

i have a couple non-emergency questions, just general to help ease my own mind ot hear others experiences/advice:

1) she is a puppy, and normally, she loves to run, jump, play, etc...after the next few days, the vet said that she will think she is better (because she feels better), however, she really still can't be doing all that running and activity, what is the best way to handle keeping her calm????

2) the licking: she is already trying to lick and touch the wound...and its only been 24 hours. the vet said to try putting a t-shirt on her first, before resorting to a cone. we put a t-shirt on her, which she somehow managed to move around and still can access her wound. any other ideas?

How much licking can she do? we can't watch her 24-7. we are home right now during the day, but at night when we're asleep, its difficult to make sure she won't lick. can she lick a little bit??

3) i'm worried about peeing and all that. she doesn't want to move right now, which is understandable, but i dont' overly want her peeing in her bed either. we fully expect her to have accidents and have placed a pee pad by her bed...can we expect her to pee less right now, just because she is sore?

Sorry for the bombarding questions, i just get so worried about her - i hate seeing them when they're sore and hurting.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Old March 25th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Albert's mommy

Do you crate her? keeping her in the crate may force her to stand still so you aren't worried about her running or jumping. Does she like the Kong? I know freezing peanut butter or applesauce or yogurt in there with some treats turns that thing into hours of entertainment, and she can just lay out on her bed and go to town on that thing.

I hate that cone too! But you may need to resort to it if she won't leave the stitches alone. I think a little licking here and there won't hurt, but they can end up pulling the stitches out on their own. i've heard horror stories of dogs ripping their own stitches out.

This may sound controversial..and please check with your vet first..but I just had a foster that had a skin graft put into her leg. That poor girl had stitches all around her underside and down one leg. You can imagine how hard it was to keep her away from those!! plus after we took the stitches off they replaced them with STAPLES! oh my poor girl. My vet recommended Benadryl. Plain walmart brand, otc...just make sure it is only Diphenhydramine HCI, no extra stuff. He said the single 25mg tablet was enough but my dog was 36 lbs, so double check with your dog's weight.
But this was a miracle pill for me, it calmed her itchies, AND basically knocked her out! I mean, two knock me out, so it worked out! She really had to take it easy and couldn't run or jump or anything for quite a while! So it served two purposes, stopped her from licking, and calmed her down so she wouldn't aggravate her wounds.

So it may be worth asking the vet!??

Good luck!