Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old March 30th, 2006, 12:34 PM

canned dog food suppliment?

I'm going to be adopting an adult dog soon (I hope) and I am pretty sure that I'm going to be feeding him or her Solid Gold or Wellness at this point - I'm leaning towards Solid Gold cause I've heard more good things about that. I've read somewhere that some people add a bit of canned dog food onto the dry kibble-ly stuff and I was just wondering if any of you do/recommend it? Or suppliment dried food with anything else for dogs without any health problems...
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

what wonderful news that you'll be adopting an adult doggie! I hope everything works out perfectly for you & the new pooch!

I feed my dog Solid Gold, which he likes (more so than other kibbles we've tried) and add a bit of canned with it. I add Merrick cannned foods, not much, about a tablespoon or so, mix it up and he's a happy dog. Merrick canned is a bit pricey, but when you only a little, 1 can lasts quite a while.

btw, what type of dog are you adopting? just curious...
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I am in the midst (kinda) of adopting a 5 year old border collie - and I really hope it goes through. I have a doggie soft-spot for border collies, beagles and other hounds, but I love border collies. One of the things that's so appealing about them is that despite my not spending that much time outside, I love it. I'm such a loner when I'm outside in public that's its really hard to enjoy it. Given a friend, I can spend hours and hours walking around the city (or park) and I would love to devote my free time to entertaining and challenging a grown up border collie in the great outdoors (in the middle of Toronto yes, but is a very large park).

Last edited by maigrey; March 30th, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:54 PM

oh, and because I'm still such a newbie at this, another question:

In case I do get a border collie or another medium sized dog, is solid gold still as good/better than the other possibilities (ie chicken soup)? Because a lot of people on the forums like Wolfking but that's a large breed dog food? mew? I wanna get all this down before I get my doggie...
Old March 30th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

We need our food guru here -- Prin oh Prin, where are you?????
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM

lol Here!

Wolf king, I am told is not significantly altered toward large breeds. Border collies aren't tiny either, so IMO, it shouldn't matter too much, especially if you'll supplement it. I supplement once in a while with Merrick canned food.

My Jemma is about 55-60lbs and she's on it and doing well.
Old March 30th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Owned by goldens

canned dog food

Canned food would be way too expensive for me to give my two dogs so I add things like sardines, chicken and cottage cheese for variety. The dogs never know what they are going to get and are so anxious for every meal.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I often supplement Buster's kibble with canned tuna, chicken or turkey. I try to find places where it's on sale....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."