Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
-

Nutro Pet Food Illnesses & Deaths Reported

The latest news regarding Nutro....

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...recalls98.html
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

This is sad. You would think that after the huge food recall last year, the pet food companies would have at least begun better practices as to what they put in the food for our pets.

When I first got Vlad I fed him Nutro Max cat food. At the time I had been told it hadn't been part of the recall. I'm so very happy though I stopped feeding him and the others this a long time ago.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:41 PM
-

Nutro wasn't as quite as bad until they were bought out by the Mars Corporation.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I just don't get this bullcrap. How is it good business for them to cut costs by putting that stuff in their food. It's not like the public won't pay for good ingredients. There are many of us who pay more for good quality food, so it's not like they will be paying for it. I just can't understand why they would do things like this.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

I just don't understand why people don't educate themselves before they stuff all kinds of crap into their dogs.

My favorite link as far as consumer education goes: ***CLICK***

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old June 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
I just don't understand why people don't educate themselves before they stuff all kinds of crap into their dogs.

My favorite link as far as consumer education goes: ***CLICK***

There is alot of good information in that article.

I wish everybody would learn to read the ingredient labels on the brands they choose.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
It's not like the public won't pay for good ingredients. There are many of us who pay more for good quality food, so it's not like they will be paying for it. I just can't understand why they would do things like this.
Unfortunately those of us who are able/willing to pay for the good ingredients are a minority. Most people are just not willing to spend a little extra on better quality food for their pets either because they think its not worth the money or becuase they dont understand what they are currently feeding is very very bad. A lot of people want a quick and cheap fix, so they just pick up a bag when they do their monthly wal-mart shopping. But then if you think of some of the garbage that people eat themselves and feed to their kids, its the society as a whole that just doesnt get it...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

*sigh* I just wrote this whole reply and lost it! Gah! I don't remember half of what I wrote!

I did say I have a friend who swears by Beneful Her resoning is, her and her family have always had dogs and they've always fed grocery store foods. I've tried talking to her about it but she also then says she can't afford anything else.

I'm just happy to know I feed my gang good quality food and they will be all the more healthy for it. I can safely say, they really do eat better than I do, but they are my responsibility and I will not feed them garbage.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:27 PM

Question Max Cat Roasted Chicken Dry Food

Ancientgirl,
I am brand new to this site and hope that I am sending this e-mail correctly and that you find time to respond.
I have 2 Birman cats, one of which eats Nutro Max Cat Adult Roasted Chicken Dry Food. Is this the same food that you fed your cat? It is the only food he will eat. I am having a very hard time finding any other dry food for him and he only eats minimal amounts of wet food. My question to you, is what dry food did you switch Vlad to? I returned all the Max Cat Roasted Chicken and my cat is miserable tonight cause it isn't here. Any suggestions on what you now feed your cat since the Max Cat dry would be greatly appreciated from anyone who reads this e-mail.
Sincerely,
Tryingtorelax............but not successfully!

Quote:
This is sad. You would think that after the huge food recall last year, the pet food companies would have at least begun better practices as to what they put in the food for our pets.

When I first got Vlad I fed him Nutro Max cat food. At the time I had been told it hadn't been part of the recall. I'm so very happy though I stopped feeding him and the others this a long time ago.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I was feeding Vlad Nutro Max chicken actually. I haven't fed them that since last summer though. I started feeding my gang canned Wellness grain free about 2 months ago. It took a few weeks to get them used to it but they love it now. As for dry, mine like Innova Evo (which they loved immediately) and I've also bought for them Organix and they also will eat Wellness Core. Those are really good foods and as far as I know, none of the Wellness brands have ever been recalled.

Have a look around here in the food section. There is a lot of good information on some good dry foods. Most here I believe try to feed canned, but there are some good quality dry too.

You might want to start a new thread asking some of the other members for their suggestions as to what they are feeding their cats. That will give you a good idea of some foods that are better suited for your guy.

Good luck finding something. I know mine moped around a few days when I changed their food, but they gave the new stuff a try and eventually liked it.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:14 PM

Thank you so much for your suggestions. My cat won't eat a thing at all. I'm wondering if what I did was the right thing to do. When I first got them I gave them Innova Evo and Wellness and they had horrible diarrhea so I gave it up. I will keep looking.
Thanks so much!
T.

Quote:
Yes, I was feeding Vlad Nutro Max chicken actually. I haven't fed them that since last summer though. I started feeding my gang canned Wellness grain free about 2 months ago. It took a few weeks to get them used to it but they love it now. As for dry, mine like Innova Evo (which they loved immediately) and I've also bought for them Organix and they also will eat Wellness Core. Those are really good foods and as far as I know, none of the Wellness brands have ever been recalled.

Have a look around here in the food section. There is a lot of good information on some good dry foods. Most here I believe try to feed canned, but there are some good quality dry too.

You might want to start a new thread asking some of the other members for their suggestions as to what they are feeding their cats. That will give you a good idea of some foods that are better suited for your guy.

Good luck finding something. I know mine moped around a few days when I changed their food, but they gave the new stuff a try and eventually liked it.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:19 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to pets.ca tryingtorelax .

Have you ever offered your cat raw meat? Check out the raw feeding forum here as well. You'll be surprised at how many members are successful at it.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM

Raw Food!

I have not even thought of raw food. My canned food sits out w/d hills prescription diet for hours until I throw it away. Raw food scares me a little. My vet recommended w/d for thier loose stools and it does work but they don't eat a lot of it. My male since I took the dry food away, (Nutro) hasn't eaten all evening and ran upstairs under the bed, which he never does. I need a good food lower in protein as he has elevated BUN and creatine levels. I'm truly at a loss. Hills I know uses BHA And BTH as perservatives and that concerns me too, but my vet recommends it. Oh, what to do???

Thanks,
T.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:35 PM
-

Tryingtorelax, I think you should start a new thread with a different title to ask for opinions. I don't know alot about cat food but Sugarcatmom and Growler are the cat food gurus here and they likely would not look at this thread if cats aren't mentioned in the title.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:56 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Great links rainbow and Sabine. I'm SO glad I got Chase off Nutro a few months ago!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Live well, laugh often

I can't believe that pet food companies are still pulling this crap .
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
-

I think a lot of people feared this would happen with Nutro once they were taken over by the Mars Corp. The same thing happened to the quality of Iams after Proctor & Gamble took it over. :sad:
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I went to Pet Supermarket on my way home to get the gang some food. There was a guy looking at the Nutro Max food. He needed some that was on top of the display so the sales guy went to get a ladder and I told this guy to be careful, because there has been cases of pets getting ill that have eaten Nutro.

The guy said he had no idea and then asked me if Hills was a good brand. I pointed him towards the Wellness grain free. I told him it was a great food and had more nutritional value than any of those brands he was looking at and had never had any recall issues.

Well, he started to put the food in his cart and the sales guy came back. He told the sales guy I'd mentioned something about Nutro and the sales guy said "That's false. Nutro has a disclaimer on that. That was someone who posted something on the internet."

I said it wasn't just "someone" it there were several cases of animals being ill. The sales guy just kept saying that it was a rumor and there was a disclaimer.

I felt like asking him now much of a kick back he was getting. It's not like this other customer was leaving with no food. He filled his cart with Wellness, which was more expensive than the Nutro. Heck if anything I did the store a favor!

That showed me that people in pet stores don't know any more than a lot of people who have no clue what to feed their pets.

Last edited by Ford; July 11th, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old June 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Your story is scary !
I always say: An educated consumer is a good consumer. It's really too bad that there are a lot of people out there who just don't care what hits their pet's stomach.
If you consider, that these big (bad)food companies spend approx. 7% of the end price on production cost, you can easily figure out, WHY their products kill our pets.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

OMG OMG!!!! Both of my BIL's dogs died within 2 weeks of eachother (Back in late March and early April 2008) and they were fed Nutro!!!

He thought it was due to their age, but both had severe seizures prior to death and had to be rushed to the emergency vet!!

OMG he gave me his extra bag of Nutro for Buddy when his dogs died OMG!!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:15 AM

Why was the thread I wrote deleted?

Why was my writing deleted? Have I done something wrong?
Susan
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
OMG OMG!!!! Both of my BIL's dogs died within 2 weeks of eachother (Back in late March and early April 2008) and they were fed Nutro!!!

He thought it was due to their age, but both had severe seizures prior to death and had to be rushed to the emergency vet!!

OMG he gave me his extra bag of Nutro for Buddy when his dogs died OMG!!!
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your BIL dogs :sad:

Did Buddy eat the bag of food? Did you notice any difference in him?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Vets talk about the dangers of raw feeding, but I think there is more risk buying processed food than feeding raw.

I think those who feed their cheap grocery store brands (as I used to) put their trust in the companies and are ignorant to what is put in these foods.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your BIL dogs :sad:

Did Buddy eat the bag of food? Did you notice any difference in him?
Buddy has been eating it since i got him, and still is!! OMG I hope he's okay, I'm getting new food tonight!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Vets talk about the dangers of raw feeding, but I think there is more risk buying processed food than feeding raw.
I don't have too much faith in a veterinarian's knowledge about feeding dogs. After all, they sell Hill's diet which in my opinion is right up there with the other 'bad' brands. A raw diet is a species appropriate diet, or have you ever seen a wolf eating kibble and grains ? Dogs are carnivores and even scavengers and have no problems whatsoever to digest even "spoiled" meat. The ph-balance of their stomach acid is such, that salmonella and e-coli does not affect them. It's a different ballgame if their immune system is weak, but if that's the case, pretty much every type of food can be a problem.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old June 25th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
I don't have too much faith in a veterinarian's knowledge about feeding dogs. After all, they sell Hill's diet which in my opinion is right up there with the other 'bad' brands. A raw diet is a species appropriate diet, or have you ever seen a wolf eating kibble and grains ? Dogs are carnivores and even scavengers and have no problems whatsoever to digest even "spoiled" meat. The ph-balance of their stomach acid is such, that salmonella and e-coli does not affect them. It's a different ballgame if their immune system is weak, but if that's the case, pretty much every type of food can be a problem.
I have heard about their gastro acids being at a lower ph level than humans and that their intestines are quite short allowing the food to pass quickly before bacteria can multiply.

I wish my kitties would eat raw, I keep trying, but have not been successful.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old June 25th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Tamer of the Furgang

Unfortunately I am allergic to cats and therefore have no knowledge about them whatsoever. If a dog doesn't like the raw meat at first, it sometimes help to put in a pan and fry it for about a minute. That usually helps them appreciate their good-for-them food. I never had a dog that didn't like to eat raw. My shepherd was such a finicky eater until I started her on a B.A.R.F. diet. Now she has appetite and enjoys her food.

Greetings,

Sabine and the Furgang
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
Buddy has been eating it since i got him, and still is!! OMG I hope he's okay, I'm getting new food tonight!!
I'm so sorry to hear about your BIL's dogs. :sad:

I hope Buddy is okay .....I would get a blood panel run on him to be on the safe side and print out the information from consumer affairs and take it to your vet. Also, I'd get you BIL to take the info to his vet to see if it can be reported. Good luck.
Old June 25th, 2008, 01:15 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskSusanPeters View Post
Why was my writing deleted? Have I done something wrong?
Susan
I have no idea. I can't pm you as your contact info is not enabled. You should contact Ford and ask.
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I am quite concerned, I am new here and I just posted on the pets health board about one of my dogs getting sick , I feed him nutra lamb and rice and he recently became sick with severe diarhea, which included blood ,I had to rush him to the vet emergency and he was prescribed med. he did eat some dirt but, I really don't know if it was related to it or not. I've been saying to my husband ever since that I feel there was something about the dog food.
I have been trying so hard to find out what to feed him . he suffers from canine epilepsy and I don't know which "people " foods to give him.
If anyone can direct me to a website or refer me a book it may be helpful. I would really appreciate it.