Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old January 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM

Another Dog Down?

Just read the post on The MV dogs and their apparent rescue.Happy and angry at the same time.
We have our own incident here except this pup hasn't done anything wrong. Ive posted the whole story in the BSL section but it fits here too and I'd ask you all to do something.
Check out the Mississauga Mayor's comments in the latest article on this situation. Assinine, if you feel the same, let her know.
Please do it in a civil manner, don't sink to her level
http://www.mississauganews.com/article/10593
mayor@mississauga.ca
Old January 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Sorry, but I totally blame the owner of the dog in this case and Hazel is right, it is the law. It's a bad law, but it is the law.

Cindy
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM

Why do you blame the girl? Bought the dog from a flea market and wasn't apparently properly advised to its bloodlines.
I personally wouldn't buy a dog like that but suprisingly many do.
And this situation could happen to anybody.
If she did anything wrong it was not ensureing that the pup couldn't get out of the yard.
So the innocent dog should die?
The city is also hypicritical in arbitrarily picking the destroy dog option and ignoring the dog rescue option.
If a dog viciously attacks a person and causes harm , go for option 1. But as in this case where the dog has done nothing and is by all accounts a friendly pup, the rescue option is the most sensible one.
Old January 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

If you're buying a pup, it's your responsibility to know whether or not it's a pitbull type breed if buying in the province of Ontario. Not for your sake, for the sake of the puppy you are buying.

I feel really bad for the pup, and I wish that it could be sent to a rescue outside of Ontario. If the pup was purchased in Ontario, the vendor should also be fined. Blaming Hazel for obeying an Ontario law is absurd.

Cindy
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I too blame the girl, why would anyone buy a dog at a flea market?
EVERYONE should know about the pitbull ban here (including her)
And you can't tell me that in the 10 months she owned this dog that no one ever told her he looked like a pit??!!
She also did not ensure this pup didn't couldn't get out (he got out through an open gate!), also he must have been out an awful long time for the animal control to have found him!
He is 10 months old, if she was such a responsible pet owner, shy wasn't this dog neutered?

Sorry but this poor pup will pay the price for the selfish owners acts:sad:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:37 AM

LOL, Ah, the self-righteousness. In a perfect world we would know all the laws.
We'd be able to buy our pets from places with registered breeds.
Hate to break it to you but there are lots of folks out there who are not as smart or well-heeled as we are.
No one has said that she didn't know the breed variant at ten months. But I've proven to myself that there are generic puppies out there, I could put a PB pup in with a group of say six and a person with my level of experience wouldn't be able to pick it out.
And the vet has stated that at four months she could not ID the breed.
And no one else has forgotten to latch the gate.
And Hazel can obey all the laws she wants. Even make absurd comments about the whole BSL thing, as a civic leader she's way past her "best before" date.

Last edited by Brooster; January 28th, 2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old January 28th, 2008, 09:52 AM
-

Hazel is well past her best before date and should have stepped down long ago and let someone a bit younger manage the vibrant and diversified Mississauga.
The girl who bought the pup is twenty years old, she saw the pup, thought how cute and didn't think of what the ramifications could be, haven't we all been there, done that at sometime during our lives?
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooster View Post

LOL, Ah, the self-righteousness. In a perfect world we would know all the laws.
We'd be able to buy our pets from places with registered breeds.
Hate to break it to you but there are lots of folks out there who are not as smart or well-heeled as we are.
No one has said that she didn't know the breed variant at ten months. But I've proven to myself that there are generic puppies out there, I could put a PB pup in with a group of say six and a person with my level of experience wouldn't be able to pick it out.
And the vet has stated that at four months she could not ID the breed.
And no one else has forgotten to latch the gate.
And Hazel can obey all the laws she wants. Even make absurd comments about the whole BSL thing, as a civic leader she's way past her "best before" date.
It's not a question of being smart or well heeled. It's a question of being an informed consumer and an informed resident of Ontario. You can say all you want about the ignorance of people, it's no excuse. If you can't afford to buy a puppy from a breeder, so be it, go to a rescue, go to a shelter, go to the humane society, at least you know then the puppys has been looked after by a vet. At 20 you should know better than to buy a pup from a flea market, and I'm glad I don't have her vet if she couldn't identify the predominent breed at 4months.
No I have never forgotten to latch the gate to my yard and I've never had to go looking for my dog. Fortunate yes, a lot more careful, maybe.
As for Hazel, she can stay in office as long as she wants IMO. She's not running the province. McGuinty is the problem there, I wonder how many would admit to voting him in. I certainly didn't. Direct your emails to the province who's law it is, not the municipalities in that province.

Cindy
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
It's not a question of being smart or well heeled. It's a question of being an informed consumer and an informed resident of Ontario. You can say all you want about the ignorance of people, it's no excuse. If you can't afford to buy a puppy from a breeder, so be it, go to a rescue, go to a shelter, go to the humane society, at least you know then the puppys has been looked after by a vet. At 20 you should know better than to buy a pup from a flea market, and I'm glad I don't have her vet if she couldn't identify the predominent breed at 4months.
No I have never forgotten to latch the gate to my yard and I've never had to go looking for my dog. Fortunate yes, a lot more careful, maybe.
As for Hazel, she can stay in office as long as she wants IMO. She's not running the province. McGuinty is the problem there, I wonder how many would admit to voting him in. I certainly didn't. Direct your emails to the province who's law it is, not the municipalities in that province.

Cindy

Very well written!! I agree!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Hazel is well past her best before date and should have stepped down long ago and let someone a bit younger manage the vibrant and diversified Mississauga.
The girl who bought the pup is twenty years old, she saw the pup, thought how cute and didn't think of what the ramifications could be, haven't we all been there, done that at sometime during our lives?
Yes, and thanks for your agreement.
We all know that McGuinty And Bryant are the dolts that ignored the input of the Kennel clubs, Canada Safety Council and thousands of others to pass their knee-jerk legislation.
But it's the city and its moronic leaders that have denied the use of the rescue clause in 132, not even advising the girl that the TO Humane Society had offered to transfer the pup out of the province.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Swift Tribe

i want to ask, where is ANYONE educated on the do's and dont's of dogs?? anywhere? is there a single class in school that tells you these things? there isnt here in the US. as popular and common (in the dog world anyway) as the associations that regulate breeds are, some folks arent even familiar with them. dogs are dogs are dogs. they look like whatever they look like. to expect people to be born with the questions on their lips??

we are all part of a very diverse and knowledgeable forum. we have looked for the information out there and found it but let me ask you this- do you know how many DIFFERENT chemicals are added to greenbeans?? so you know how many are carcinogenic? do you know the accumulative effects of eating these are? do you know that up to 40% of all women have thyroidism to some degree? what are the three factors of SIDS? did you know all it takes to kill an infant is 2 table spoons of salt?? or that honey shouldnt be given to infants because of allergies but because of botchulism? or that they are finding in studies that children under he age of 2 should not have all of these different cough medicines? do you know what foods contain a reasonable amount of zinc??

does anyone routinely, for everythign they do, look at the box before they purchase it, look up childrens diseases before they get pregnant, research the chemicals in greenbeans or look up how maraschino cherries are made (ill never eat another in my life!!)?? how many things in life SHOULD be questioned for your health, the health of your children??

we are all people here with the answers or enough of them to either figure out the rest or know the folks to ask and there is so much 'yadda yadda is so stupid' because they didnt even know to ASK questions. its been a slow process but there are more and more people out there who ARE asking questions. most of our parents are shocked at the lengths we go to for our pets where as they would have either ignored it, put them to sleep or dropped them off somewehre. but dont be surprised when folks DONT ask questions to begin with. especially a 20yo girl. 20 is still SOOOO young!!! there are no classes on how to be a parent but everyone is suppose to know that classes for caring for a puppy is not just recommended but necessary to learn to care for your puppy??

im sure im saying this all wrong or not clearly because im terribly with words, even more so when i have to type them all out in spurts over a few hours but try to understand what im saying.

now to also say... this woman says-
Quote:
McCallion is not impressed with the campaign mounted on Rambo's behalf by animal supporters who have bombarded politicians and staff with e-mails. "You can't imagine the cost of this," she said, "and the staff time. Where were all these people when the law was being proposed?"
was there a public vote? was there a public notice put where people could readily see it? i wonder how difficult it woudl be to send out an email weekly or monthly outlining things whats suggested as new laws or adjustments.... whatnot.

just thinking out loud.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Swift Tribe

i mean i know you (here anyway) can go read whats up and coming but you ahve to make the trip up there and pursue it yourself or talk to someone else who looked after it.

sorry, im woefully ignorant how this process works. my only excuse is up until now ive never had the time to look into it, let alone do somethign with tha tknowledge!

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:33 PM
-

It is very helpful being informed, but at 61 yrs. old, alas, I am not informed of everything and still continue to make mistakes. "To err is human".
Lost in all of this rhetoric is a poor pup's life who has no say in his fate. It would have been nice if the authorities had advised this young lady of any alternatives available, it appears that this was not done, that is not nice.
Let's just hope that little Rambo makes it, I have my doubts because now it has become a 'me against you' event and authorities don't like to loose, it makes them appear weak, good heavens we would not want that to happen.
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Swift Tribe

lets hope the sheer gravity of the situation is not lost on her, nor any others who want to expose a puppy to this kind of situation. a life is an amazing thing. to hold life in your hands, a great responsibility.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Old January 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I was actually always a great admirerer of Hazel,she does not take any bull from anyone,but in this instance she is wrong.
I really do not care too much about the owner of the pup,but the pup should not get a deathsentence,he is totally innocent.
Offers have been made to move him out of Ontario,why on earth don't they??
Are they trying to make an example of this poor pup?
Why is it that a Flea-Market can sell pit-puppies legally,oh heck why not,they sell rabid pups
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

Cindy
I too agree........

This ban has been in effect for a little over 2 years now.Hazel knows this so why would she go against it?Because some 20 year old says she didn't know about it????Come on.I can't tell you how many times people have said this and do know about.They play dumb thinking they can get away with it.And the vet didn't know the breed?I'm sure this vet knew the breed but just didn't want to report it knowing it would be put down.And please don't tell me vets didn't know about the ban.

I was doing some shopping in the summer.There was teen outside with a pitty.The father came out and I stopped him.I said you do know this breed is totally banned.His comment,yeah I know.I suggested he re-home him before he gets caught and the pup suffers.His answer,whatever.I warned him.
Old January 28th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
I too agree........

I was doing some shopping in the summer.There was teen outside with a pitty.The father came out and I stopped him.I said you do know this breed is totally banned.His comment,yeah I know.I suggested he re-home him before he gets caught and the pup suffers.His answer,whatever.I warned him.
Why did you stop him?
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Why do you think I stopped him?

Here is a man who has a 6 1/2 month old "pitty"..A breed that has been banned 2 years prior...And he knew it.He gets caught and he'll be in the papers just like Rambo.And 10-1 he'll play dumb and say he had no idea..

I was trying to save his a$$..........

I have a 20 year old,and I tell you,she has more knowledge then some of her friends.She is forever asking questions that I freely answer.And I will answer what I know...Her best friend has a 10 month old son.My daughter loves this little one to death.As do I.She knows she doesn't want to be a mother yet.But my daughter seems to know more about being a mother then her best friend.Long story.

My daughter wants to learn anything and everything she can.She asks questions.That's the only way she will learn.

When I found out I was a carrier,I ask my doctor a ton of questions.I know that I can't give blood.I also know that if I come in contact with a child who has had chicken pox/measels ect,I can't come in contact with pregnant women.Ok,I got off topic here...LOL
Old January 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Ahah!,, a double poster.
Seriously, I now see your point. If someone gave me a purebread Staffie pup I would guard him/her with my life. Keep the dog hidden, walk it at night until it appeared adult. I would have it neutered, leashed, and muzzled. And love it to pieces

All that said, here's the latest Miss News release on Rambo
http://www.mississauganews.com/article/10718
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Brooster.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 30th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh Parrish will be in the news again
I think they will have a hard time proving this poor pup is not a"pit-bull",going to court will be a waste of time and money,but it might help in the fight against BSL,who knows
IMO,they should ship this pup to somewhere safe in another province,why should he die,because of this womans ignorance and the lies told by the flea-market vendor.
The courtcase could take a long time and the pup will be languishing in a cold unfamiliar place.:sad:
I wish they would change their minds and let the THS ship him somewhere else.
Thank's for the update Brooster!
Old January 30th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

If she truly loves Rambo, she should go to the press now, and say that she will sign Rambo over right now, under the condition that he be relinquished to the THS to be rehomed out of the province.
I believe everyone concerned would agree to this.

Old January 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I agree that it would be better for the Fiberals, city and animal control dolts to back off and let the pup be rescued.
Bad publicity for all. Why would you get a pet off the AC people that kill puppies. Better to save one from the Humane Societies
As for the Fibs , they and McCallion will never get my support again.
If they kill Rambo, I hope I'm around for the next election. I'll find a way to have his pic in the paper every day for a week prior to election day.
Old January 30th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
If she truly loves Rambo, she should go to the press now, and say that she will sign Rambo over right now, under the condition that he be relinquished to the THS to be rehomed out of the province.
I believe everyone concerned would agree to this.
I agree....

Quote:
If someone gave me a purebread Staffie pup I would guard him/her with my life. Keep the dog hidden, walk it at night until it appeared adult
And in all of this,where would the socialization come in?Do you not think they would ask for vet records which have the date of birth?

I am sooooooooo against this ban.But it's here and has been for a little over 2 years.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
I agree....

And in all of this,where would the socialization come in?Do you not think they would ask for vet records which have the date of birth?

I am sooooooooo against this ban.But it's here and has been for a little over 2 years.
C'mon Mona, I'd align myself with those who think alike and their pets. The vet records would be my last concern. What would you do, turn him over to this laughable system to be killed?
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
C'mon Mona, I'd align myself with those who think alike and their pets. The vet records would be my last concern. What would you do, turn him over to this laughable system to be killed?
No, but I would get him out of Ontario so he'd have a shot of living for a while.
Until this ban is no longer, no pit bull is safe in Ontario. Get one and your playing roulette with the dogs life. Hardly responsible pet ownership.

Cindy
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No, but I would get him out of Ontario so he'd have a shot of living for a while.
Until this ban is no longer, no pit bull is safe in Ontario. Get one and your playing roulette with the dogs life. Hardly responsible pet ownership.

Cindy

EXACTLY.........

Why would I (or anyone else)chance this???????

And for those who do,it's the poor pup that looses in the end.:sad:
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Here's the latest article from the Mississauga News
http://www.mississauganews.com/article/10959
I've e-mailed the the Sun asking for the paper's help. Do the same at the Sun or the Star