Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM

Question Any vet techs ?

Hey I am really interested in taking vet tech. I really do not like my current profession/life.

For now i am interested in the one year vet assistant program at west coast college vancouver because you get a diploma out of it instead of a cert.

Was just wondering does canada have many options to be a vet tech through at home school? Do all the book work at home and practical work at the school? America has a lot.

ALso was curious how easy is it to get into an american school like that for us canadians? I am not sure if Canada will even take an american vet tech diploma though.
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Contributor

ICS Canada has some courses that may interest you. They are done online.
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Hey cateyes I am currently taking Veterinary Technician in Saskatoon through SIAST. I didn't look into the tech assistant stuff at all but I know when I was first looking at colleges Olds College offered distance learning for their tech program. After you've completed the program you need to write a national exam to become registered. I'm not sure whether American diplomas would be accepted here, I know certain states accept diplomas from Canadian programs.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old July 13th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Your inquiry kind of caught my attention in regards to vet tech college.
We have a campus at Northern College of Applied Arts & Technology in Temiskaming Shores, Ontario, the Haileybury Campus. It offers a Veterinary Technician's course. Not familiar with it but could call them on Monday and ask if they have a distance learning course.
Old July 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Georgian College in Barrie has a Vet Assistant programme that awards a certificate and a Vet Tech, programme, with co-op, that awards a diploma.

One thing you should consider and investigate is how marketable are you to a Vet if your school had no in-school and no co-op classes. If I am misunderstanding your hope to do all your courses from home, then I apologize. But for something as hands on as Veterinary work I think a co-op in particular would be invaluable.
Old July 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM

Further to my reply posting of last evening, I decided to Google Northern College this morning, and find that they have 5 courses listed under Veterinary Science, so I'm enclosing the web site for you to take a look and check things out. They do have long distance learning, but in what programs, I don't know.

http://www.northernc.on.ca/
Old July 14th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Hey all, no if you do the at home program you still have to do the practical work through a vet tech and a vet clinic. America has a very good reputable online program at san jaun college. THey say once done you are allowed to write the canadian exam and have both a regsiter for america and canada.

But you need a vet clinic practor that you see a couple of times a week for hands on training also. The key is to find that I think.
Old July 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM

NOrthern college has the most appealing vet tech program in Canada because it takes an extra year and specializes in exotics and wildlife. Would be a dream if something ilke that was available here but it is not I think it is one of a kind available online. I think if you are willing to move to the right location you might be able to do your practice at a more exotic location to get a wide variety of experience? That is what i was hoping for instead of just getting experience in a vet clinic. Because my long term goal would be to work with wildlife. But Vet techs and vet assistants seem to be the biggest thing that every wildlife agency or zoo looks for when hiring for animal care and help.

More in depth scientific stuff I think is given to zoologists who have to take a lot more heavy science and math.

I would rather have a vet tech program than a vet assistant now that I did more research but fall is close and everything that was close to me is full thats why i was hoping america would which i just applied to now.
Old July 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM

I was interested in zoo work as well. In the SIAST program you need to do 2 practicums, one small animal and one large animal or 'other'. Since I have no interest in livestock I decided to look into zoos. The reply I got back from the Calgary Zoo was an honest one. They don't take tech students for practicums since there is a Veterinary school there and they give priority to those students. They also included a bit of a disclaimer, I guess we could call it. Zoo positions are highly desired and once a position has been filled it usually doesn't open up again until that person retires or, god forbid, dies. So it is extremely competitive to get said position. The Tech program here doesn't have any emphasis on exotics; we covered Avian and Reptile anatomy and physiology, and that's it. But my diploma and subsequent registration as a vet tech allows me to work in clinics that deals with exotic medicine.
There is an exotics only clinic in Calgary that I will be doing my practicum in and I can use that experience to open the doors to many careers working with exotic animals.

There are so many amazing things that you can do as a Vet Tech! I wish you all the luck in your studies! It's an incredible experience!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."