Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Question Opinions+Advice Please:Ginger needs Emergency Surgery...HELP?

Urgent! Re: Ginger – Advice Needed Please ASAP! Xrays show "Bladder Stone(s)"…..HELP!?
More on my Ginger cat….went back to the Vet again, more Antibiotics, Plus added PainKiller which seemed to help-as there were less visits to the litter box (40 per day, squatting up to 4 minutes each time with a few drops coming out). Yesterday-back to Vet again, not eating, vomiting when he did try to eat…..Xrays showed Bladdder Stone(s), not sure if there is one or a few that appear as one. Will do a urinalysis and Vet is to call me back to let me know if they are Struvite stone(s) or Calcium Oxalate stone(s) .

The surgery costs $500. Plus plus plus. (He knows I am in a difficult financial situation and would be willing to accommodate me in paying it out over several months.)

I would appreciate advice on the following: Should I go elsewhere for a second opinion? If yes, do I tell this Vet? Do I ask him for Ginger’s medical records, i.e. containing recent visits, xrays, urinalysis, etc.? I feel embaressed and do not know how to go about doing this, if I should?The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if there may be a more "modern" way to remove bladder stones, i.e. via lasers etc.?
I am in Montreal, and would like to know if there are any members that would be willing to speak with me on the telephone, who may have been through this with their cat and could recommend the best Hospital-Vet in Montreal area, that has an incredible reputation for this type of surgery?

It is approximately 11:00 AM in Montreal, and I am not sure what to do, i.e. leave Ginger at the Vet, and if members are suggesting that I go for a second opinion, do I take him directly from this Vet? The reason I am overwhelmed is that he hasn’t eaten in 4 days (except 2 tsp. Yogurt) and to bring him home in this condition and then try to take care of him if he is not eating and vomiting etc, and in pain.I am not sure if taking him out of the Vet is the best thing to do? (I am without help, quite ill and mobility is difficult for me, plus many other personal emergencies in my life right now!) Thank you very much for any suggestions, I appreciate them!
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Exrays don't really lie...if these stones need to be removed then any vet wil tell you the same. If this vet is accommodating your financial situation then go with him...do you trust him? Is the cat strong enough to survive the surgery? What does your gut say? Sorry I am not any help. Why didn't he see the stones when you brought him in?
Good LUck
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Question re Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Exrays don't really lie...if these stones need to be removed then any vet wil tell you the same. If this vet is accommodating your financial situation then go with him...do you trust him? Is the cat strong enough to survive the surgery? What does your gut say? Sorry I am not any help. Why didn't he see the stones when you brought him in?
Good LUck
I trust him, and Ginger could survive the surgery, but he said that often in 1 or 2 years they could come back!!!!!!
My gut says that perhaps there is another way to do this surgery, nowadays there are lasers etc.

I am sure other hospitals would also be able to accomodate me (i.e. postdated visa etc.)...........

He did not see the stones when I brought him in (see previous questions on this site re Ginger's story for the past 2 weeks).........because he only did the xrays yesterday.
Do you think I should go for a second opinion?
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Personally, I do not believe to ask for one second opinion will change the course of the things... in one way or another the condition of your cat an operation requires... Personally, to work in a veterinary clinic (veterinary technician), I find that your veterinary is very nice with the payment... (they are not all the private clinic which offers the service of paiment distributes over several months...)
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor you, poor Ginger.
If you trust this vet, I would leave Ginger there and let them go ahead. I've heard of treatment for bladder stones in humans with lasers but not in cats, although anything is possible. Why don't you ask your vet about it? In fact, ask him anything that is not clear to you; no question is stupid.
It sounds like Ginger is in good hands and too sick to bring home safely, even if it was easy for you, which it isn't.
Sorry, don't have much to add, except hang in there. I'm glad you got to the root of the problem, and that it is fixable.
Old February 6th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you are going through. This is what I would do IMO ONLY. Since your vet is so nice about payment plans, I would go with him. Get the stone removed, heal the kitty, then research and see if there is something, (food for example) that can stop this from reaccuring.
Old February 6th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I am sorry you and Ginger are having to go through this.

I agree with what everyone has said, your vet sounds very accomodating to your situation, a new vet may not be as you would be a new client.
As far as I know (but it's been 2yrs since I've worked in one) surgery is the only way to remove the stones in animals. Even if they had a laser the cat would still have to pee them out which is painfull, the laser doesn't remove them just breaks them up into more "managable pieces".

I have known both cats and dogs with stones and diet seems to be the key to keeping it under control. Once giner is feeling better and gets his appetite back, hopefully he will eat the prescription food. I know they aren't the best foods but they really do make a difference when it comes to urinary/bladder problems. There are several foods to help with prevention but your vet may choose a certain one just to help get Ginger's bladder back under control(ph level etc..). And then in time could change to a different food but I would stay with one your vet recommends and if you/ginger don't like those maybe talk to a homeopathic vet as they may be able to help with the nutrition/prevention or even supplements that might help to prevent it from comming back.

I would stick with your vet he seems like a good guy, most vets would do the xray's last as well since bladder infections are soo common in male cats, and after a course of meds and food if nothing changes then they do xrays.

for you and Ginger and keep us posted.
Old February 6th, 2007, 03:00 PM

I agree with everyone else. Let this vet do the surgery asap so your poor cat can recover. If you go to another vet that could possibly do a more modern surgery you can expect it to cost more and the surgery that your vet will do has been done for many years without any problems. I am sure he has done it many times before.
I wouldn't be waiting around to make another decision that may not work out for you anyway, more expensive or vet not willing to do payments.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Question Ginger, still at Vet, had xrays, show stone...more...

Thank you everyone. I am so grateful to have you all - your support and advise mean alot to me, as I feel so overwhelmed with all of these "crisises" in my life (I went through 7 biopsies since July, plus am very ill with other issues, my 16 yr.old defiant Diabetic son just called,had an argument with teacher, skipped 3 detentions and wants to quit school (in last year of high school)refuses to go back, just walked out, my 80 yr. old Mother was rushed for Emergency surgery (while walking on ice to feed 5 homeless cats)+ is now in Hospital for a few months, so....my 90 yr. old fragile and also ill Father is dependent on me, and ...on and on! I will stop my whining here!) ....And so, just knowing that I have you all to lean on for my poor, brave, sweet Ginger is truly a blessing, again: thank you for being here! (I wish I had support like this for all of the other issues!)Anyways, more on Ginger.....Brought him back in .... not eating, throwing up when attempting to ... concerned. Vet did Xrays which showed Bladder Stone(s), not sure if there is one or a few that appear as one. Spoke of calcium oxalate, and surgery. I spoke to the Vet. He says that Ginger is being force fed, but still throwing up. I am leaving him there again, as I have asked him to do some blood tests to rule out any other problems. In the meantime there is a change of plan, surgery is on hold because he did a urinalysis and it showed Struvite crystals, but he says that sometimes there can be BOTH, so he is not quite certain right now! Ideally if Ginger would be able to eat and hold food down, we could try and at least dissolve the struvites via food and again repeating x ray in a few weeks to see what is going on, if there are any calcium oxalate, which would mean surgery........will wait and see, day by day, .....will have blood test results tomorrow....he says this is a difficiult case as it is not straight forward - any opinons? Are there other ways to take out bladder stones, i.e. via lasers etc.? Are there any vets in Montreal, maybe thinking of a second opinion down the road......maybe DMV? or someone who specializes in complicated issues like this, at this point I will beg, borrow and steal....Ginger is my priority, whatever it costs............HELP? any opinions?
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Violet,I know how confusing things can be,but I would definetly leave him where he is,your vet seems very understanding and many vets do not offer a payment-plan.
As I said before,I had a cat with kidneystones and it was extreemly painful for him,I would not wait too long with Ginger,until it gets so bad he screams in pain,kidneystones are painful.
I went almost the same route as you,but we waited too long:sad: granted,this was almost 40yrs ago,vets today know soo much more and have better treatments.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I would leave Ginger with your vet. I had a dog who had 4 stones removed at the same time as I had a kidney stone "yanked out". If the stones have to come out, they have to come out, but vet needs to deal with current other complications. I know that all of the tests and X-Rays are very costly when added up - and Ginger will most likely have to eat the special "stone" food after surgery for a number of months to see if she develops further crystals (hopefully she won't - my Dachshund didn't). Stones are very painful and I am sure Ginger will be much more comfortable after surgery. Expect though some loss of bladder control for a few days afer surgery. Hope Ginger gets better.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't understand why you are waiting. The xray showed bladder stones. And you're considering trying to dissolve them with food? Do you know how long that would take, if it in fact works?
If I am not misreading, your cat is in pain, not eating, vomiting what is forced, too sick to come home, and you're asking for more tests?
And your vet sounds a little confused and all.
I may just not be getting it.
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Waiting also increases the chance of a urinary tract blockage and that can kill your cat very quickly.
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM

Vet bills are a killler and I know what it's like to be running low on money, but count your blessings that it's ONLY $500! That is peanuts when you're dealing with animals. A lot of us spend more like $5,000 on surgeries!

Good luck with your cat!
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't undrstand why they would keep force feeding him when its obvioushe will throw it up...can't you just ask them to remove the stones surgically and then start a diet to stop them from reoccuring??
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Violet, for Ginger and please get those stones out,then you can start bringing him back to health,he'll be painfree and will gain back his appetite and before you know it,you'll have the old Ginger back again
My kitty Tigger,from soooo long ago,did not make it,much due to my ignorance at the time:sad: but Ginger stands a 100% better chance
Old February 7th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Question More on Ginger....need to see another Vet? Opinions...

Thank you all. I am very overwhelmed and trying to deal with so many other personal life/family "crisises" -my "energy" is exhausted- I myself am very ill and trying to cope...but, I had absolutely no choice, and had to cancel important medical tests and appointments to take care of all of the crisises that happened yesterday, and are continuing on to today....my energy is falling fast.....I wish I had a clone)! I keep repeating to myself.."it could be worse, it could be worse, it could be worse"...I need to be grateful for all that I have, I need to find strength.

BUT-everyone is now going to have to wait, because my sweet Ginger is now in such a situation, that I am trying to think straight as it feels as if my brain is going to explode with all of everyone's life urgencies pulling at me!!!!! The blood tests came back all okay....but, he is still not able to keep the food that they are force feeding him down........
My Vet is suggesting to perhaps bring him elsewhere! He seems to not know what to do at this point, he mentioned maybe an ultrasound.So, I need to find a Vet in Montreal who is the best, who can help him, immediately, who will take this case on and know what to do. He mentioned Rive Sud and DMV....Can any members suggest a Doctor maybe someone who is in Internal Medicine, who might be able to help Ginger, someone who is very very good?? I am going to get Ginger this afternoon. The vet wants to do another xray (he said it would not cost me anything) - I requested a copy of the urinalysis, xray, blood tests, to bring with me to the next place that I bring Ginger. I will try and find out any holistic foods, products that in the meantime I can try to give him to keep his PH urine acidic....but at this point, I think just to get any food into him is of utmost importance!! (The Vet is in awe that I have been able to keep him alive all of these years, when I explained how it has been with his eating "disorder"-the only other tool might be ultrasound that may find why it is that he can't keep food down.....) Anyways, I need to find a Vet who can figure out if the crystals should first be dissolved as my Vet seems to not be 100% sure if the stone that he saw is calcium oxalate or crystals that appear as a stone that have accumulated, thus showing up in the xray like that....maybe that is why he is going to rexray again today.....hmmmm...... Help??!! Again, I appreciate everyone's energy and support....it is helping me through all of this, and knowing that so many care means alot to me right now. Thanks Has anyone any opinions on the vet hospital in St. Hyacinthe?
(PS Some of you have mentioned Ginger having kidney stones - but he does not... it is a bladder stone approx. 1/2-1 cm. in size - and the last urinalysis showed struvites......... maybe the xray the Vet does today will show something different.....?)

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Montreal has a teaching hospital I believe - the equivalent of Guelph University, where one goes at midnight for emergency surgery in Ontario. This is where I would go - your vet should make the appointment for you. And, no need to worry about confusing kidney with bladder stones - I know you meant bladder. Really hope all goes well with Ginger, but I think that you will need to proceed quickly - and get your vet to make that referral.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

An ultrasound which is only going to provide pictures can be as expensive as a surgery and the cat has to be under a general anesthesia to do the ultrasound, all that will mean is your cat will have to undergo a second general anesthesia to still remove the stones, which will be harde for him.

You could go thru $1000 s in testing and a vet could then say the only other way to get answers is with an exploratory surgery, You may as well save all the money on testing, and have the exploratory done at the same time as the stone removal if a secon poblem is found and it needs to be surgically dealt with it can be done at the same time saving the cat stress, multiple anesthesia's and possibly multiple surgeries
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Violet

I was reading between the lines on your threads about Ginder and just wanted to say "you also need to take care of yourself!"...I sense by your threads that you are on overload! You have to remember throughout all your problems/crises etc that you have to take care of yourself or no one will be there to help Ginger! I could not step in your shoes at all but try to be calm because things happen when we are on overload! Good Luck to you and your family!

I am confused with your vet? Has he given up? Can they not make some reccomendation as to where to go or what to do?

Cindy
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM

It is true that the university of Montreal to a veterinary service... but it is with St-Hyacinthe... I do not believe that it is necessary to spend of the sums considerable while going to consult with the FAC of St-Hyacinthe or DMV... A regular veterinary surgeon can make the deal very well...

Moreover, I am a little to dismay concerning the number test to carry out compared with the action concretes to pose.... Do you give in doubt diagnoses it stone in the bladder?? You to think that it acts of a disease nondiscovered which causes all these symptoms?? Because I find odd that the vet lets your cat suffer... (at present your cat suffers terribly) and the only way is to remove this stone....

In your other messages, you say that it with receipt a special food, makes some it probably acted of a food being used to dissolve struvites... and that does not seem to have functioned.... and will not function if the cat does not keep any food.....

The ultrasounds, in this case, are not of any help, unless you like to spend your money for nothing.... This service is terribly expensive, and is used only for diagnostic, diagnotic which with already posed I believe.... That will not shorten the sufferings of your poor cat....

If you wish it absolutely, I can refer some vets to you that I know... but I can say to you immediately that the solution who will propose to you will be the surgery....
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:08 PM

Question More...explanations on Ginger's situation....to be continued!!

I agree that surgery would be the way to go but because the latest urinalysis test showed struvites.... the Vet told me that if it was his cat he would rather avoid a major surgery if it would first be possible to try to dissolve the stones with food, and of course take care of Ginger and watch him carefully (re blockage), and then re xray again in about two weeks to see if the struvite has gotten smaller and if so then, bravo, hurray, there is no need for surgery and then we know that it was not a calcium oxalate stone. It is a difficult case because there is a chance that the stone seen in the bladder via xray could be mixed. It COULD be a calcium oxalate with the struvite crystals... So that is the explanation as to why I am not running for surgery and the plan of action is trying the route of the food. The other problem is that he is not eating, and when he finally does, he throws up..........so then, how could I get him to eat the special struvite dissolving food???? The latest news is that he is going to try an appetite stimulant, with another food, again, and I will cross my fingers that he eats, and that he does not throw up.........Again, thanks everyone, I will let you know
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Violet,I am sorry I mixed up bladderstones with kidneystones,but it's no less painful.:sad:
I was under the impression your vet would do the surgery
We've all had those weeks,where everything goes wrong,bad things happening,but chin up girl,it will get better
What I don't understand,is your vet wanting to try him on all kinds of foods,correct me if I am wrong,but vomiting and not getting any nourishment will only make Ginger weaker and sicker.
It would be wonderful if surgery is not needed,if the stones would dissolve,but please don't wait too long.
I also wanted to say,you are a very good kitty-mom and I'll keep that this will soon resolve and all your other troubles will just go away
Old February 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM

I agree with Winston that you have a lot going on and to not to forget to take care of you.

With Ginger I don't have much more to add. and to you and ginger.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM

More re Ginger........I took him out of there!

Thank you all for your encouragement-it really helps me to know that you are all thinking of Ginger and I. Just to let you all know, I went to take Ginger out of the Vet's. One more day there would have been terrible. His technician kept on trying to "force feed" Ginger, with the special struvite dissolving foods, and he had already become dehydrated. Anyways, another $4 yesterday's bill - I learnt a "life lesson" and feel I made a mistake and should not have continued so long with this Vet. I put my faith in him, but realize, as I was leaving with the cat carrier, the xrays and blood/urinalysis results.....that he had NOT given me a general history-summary-explanation/consultation/referral - so that the next Hospital would know what had gone on in the past two weeks, so I asked the technician there and then that I would appreciate if she would go and ask him to give this to me........and that is when I realized where his energy was at, and I totally lost my respect for him, because after I had just paid a few minutes ago, this bill for the past 2 days-$407.00, (the grand total paid to him in the past two weeks was $$613.00) ,suddenly, he had disappeared and was: "busy, unavailable, on the phone, getting ready to leave, not convenient for him, etc. etc.", and she was very firm saying that it was absolutely impossible to obtain this - and she made me feel as if I was asking for something that I should not have been asking for! and that I had the nerve asking for it! (she is quite an aggressive character, and I have always felt very small and uncomfortable with her). But, I do feel that professionally speaking, it should have been prepared, without my having to be standing there practically begging for it, struggling and very uncomfortable (and in pain), with my cane, large cat carrier, purse, and large xrays envelope, and blood/urinalysis results. After spending $613.00 there, and leaving very distressed, and with my cat who was sicker (and crying/howling-which I have never heard him do), miraculously still alive, after not having eaten for one week!!!!!(except for the 2 tsp. of yogurt that he did not vomit before he got there!), and I am sure, having had very stressful days there - all in all - (and all of my other personal/life "crisises" continually going on-my Son just quit school & now I just found out that his Hospital wants to admit him because he refuses to take care of his Diabetes--he is defiant with this also) - so as I am trying to be strong with everything, I just could not find any "assertive/aggressive/strong/demanding" behaviour, deep within me, to DEMAND that I wanted him to stop, and "go out of his way" to give me Ginger's Medical Notes-Summary (whatever it is called) - plus, I could not get past the technician (strict "army-general" type), to even try to get to him!! I just had to get away from her energy, so I told her to to tell him that I would appreciate if he would have it ready in the morning, so that I could have it for the Hospital that I had to take Ginger to. (and I was going to be inconvenienced having to go back to get it the next day, but I wanted it!) And AIEEEE!!!I just could not believe this, as she STILL angrily, and aggressively, continued on and on, "well you know it might not be able to get done, it is going to be difficult for him, he has consultations in the morning etc. etc." I had to get away from her, at that point I just left, and broke down. I got him home, he went to the litter box, squatting and I quickly put a paper under in him and saw only two drops of blood/urine appeared (the Vet denied that he was squatting and having any trouble urinating at his place!!!!!)But on a very positive note, he lapped up a tsp.of yogurt, (did not vomit)& I quickly went to buy baby food. He voraciously ate 1 tsp.(Veal in broth)and I have been feeding him this carefully every few hours, even at 1:00am and then at 4:00am.- No vomitting. So I cooked some chicken breast and then chopped it in a machine,with water, made it into liquid and if I put it on my finger he licks it off (but does not want it on a plate!!) he just had some and my fingers are still crossed, he has kept everything down so far. He is very happy to be home. I am giving him TLC. I have decided to take him to DMV. At this point, I cannot physically make it to Rive Sud across the Champlain Bridge (plus my 14yr old car may not either) so............I will deal with the $$ issues. Right now, I am very concerned for Ginger to be comfortable and alive!! DMV has #1 Doctors, and I used them for a very successful, big emergency hip surgery surgery (on Ginger)when I rescued him. For any other members: I am very disappointed, wondering WHY did the Vet not give my cat baby food? So, for any of you who are reading this, should your pets ever need to be force fed, if any of your pets are ever at a Hospital, please REMEMBER to ask them if they can try BABYFOOD!! Re: Ginger's vomitting - this Vet has suggested on finding out what is going on, perhaps an ultrasound, or a good idea would be an endoscope inserted into his stomach to find out why he is regurgitating is food. He has had cases of not seeing anything in xrays, but when doing exploratory surgery, he removed an ear plug that had been in the cat for a very long time, and another case was an obstruction of a large hair ball. So, maybe Ginger has an obstruction somewhere. In the meantime, I am making him stronger, and he is able to take very small quantities of liquid food, every few hours. Ginger just went to the litter box and urinated a small amount, but in a normal way (steady stream) .............. hmmm????? Anyways, I am monitoring him and will let you all know what is going on with him. In the meantime, I will continue watching him closely, the TLC and feeding the way I have been. I may also need to force a bit of Vitalax (from the tube)in his mouth (some animals lap it up, but he can not stand it). I have not seen any bowel movement yet. Thank you all again!
Old February 8th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Hello,
I hope sincerely that your cat will go better quickly.... and that you will consult new a vet quickly.... In the cases of stone in the bladder, it is not rare even vomiting....
The pain is intense.... I also know that it is true that certain intestinal or gastric blockings, are not always visible... But there are other signs... (blood and the difficulties of urinating do not make party of the symptoms of intestinal blocking)

But good, only a vet will confirm it to you.... By wishing that your cat cease suffering quickly...
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Again I am sorry.

I'm glad you have been able to get some food into Ginger but I wouldn't wait too long to visit the vet you mentioned. Call them if you haven't and explain Ginger's situation, they probably won't be able to tell you much over the phone for legal reasons. Also vets around here anyway are not suppose to give you the written medical records, they can however and are suppose to fax or mail a copy of the records to any other vet you choose to go to. Have a courier service, friend or taxi take the xrays etc.. that you have to the new vet for you so they have a chance to look at everything ahead of time(it will save you a trip).

As for your vet not giving/trying baby food not all of them think of those things, some stick to pet foods and other's will try different things. I worked for a vet that did, we had a dog boarding that wouldn't eat so he brought him some leftover meatloaf for him. I don't know why they kept force feeding him if continued to vomit it up, I would think they would want to try and settle his tummy and being on IV fluids if he was would help give him some sort of nutrience/support to the kidney's. I know the tech seemed mean but she was only doing her job in that she was protecting her boss and following order's, they don't always agree with what they are told to do but do not always have a choice, she could however been less harsh about it and tried to be a little more understanding.

Sending more and to the both of you, I hope the new vet has answers etc... for you and that things can get resolved soon. If they feel Ginger is strong enough for surgery if it were me, even as scared as I was I would probably go ahead, the sooner the stone is gone the less pain for ginger and then you can work on getting the crystals(unseen to the naked eye) that are there dissolved providing he can keep the food down and will eat. Maybe with less discomfort he will feel more like eating(just thinking outloud).
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Violet,I believe the stress of beeing forcefed,by a stranger and in an unfamiliar place is enough to make any animal vomit.
I am just curious why you would think obstruction,of course anything is possible,but did not the vet say Ginger had bladderstones??
Like everyone says it is a painful condition to anyone,just ask a man with trouble going to the bathroom.
I can understand your difficulty having to use a cane,maybe a friend could help you bring Ginger.
I am glad he is eating,he certainly needs his strenght back...but please try to get him in as soon as possible,if it is certain he has bladder-stones,I can also not see why an expensive Ultra-sound or scope is needed,if the X-Rays clearly shows bladderstones
Old February 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM

re Ginger

The urinalysis showed struvites, and the vet also said that by the appearance in the xray he was not sure if it was a mixture of the struvite crystals PLUS calcium oxalate and that is why he wanted to try to dissolve the struvites by food first and re xray and if they were gone bravo, and if not then there was another type of stone, calcium oxalate and that would require surgery....he was trying to avoid the surgery by first dissolving the struvites. I know this is all so complicated. Re the ultrasound and endoscope.....he was referring to these tests re the vomitting, perhaps locating a foreign body somewhere that an xray does not pick up. So, because he cannot eat, and part of this treatment for the struvites is to eat the dissolving struvites food..........I have a complication!!!!! The blood and the difficulty urinating are the crystals which are painful like urinating with sand........aieeeeeeee! Poor Ginger...but he is doing so much better, at home now, eating baby food and chicken breast and water into a liquidy paste consistency. And no, they should not have continued to force feed (especially that technician's energy...boo hoo poor Ginger!), and no they did not put him on intravenous.......anyways, I need to turn the page, it happened, I learnt a life lesson, and that is it with that Vet experience.
I appreciate all opinions and suggestions, thanks again!
Old February 8th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Violet,one thing,Ginger could not have a better caring mom,in spite of all the problems he's a lucky kitty:love: