Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 7th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Dog vomitting, not sure if serious!

We have a dog approx. 2yrs. old, part Sheppard, Malamute, Aussie, Border, etc. The last three or four weeks she has thrown up maybe 4 or 5 times. Each time it's a yellowish, mucous type liquid and the last time it had a urine type smell. There is no pattern to when she does it, and she still eats, drinks and goes to the washroom fine, has lots of energy to run around outside and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort. Any suggestions as to what might be causing it?
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:10 PM

When? In the morning? At night? Different times? Sometimes, if a doggy's stomach is too empty, it will vomit bile (usually in the morning). If it's that, giving even 1/4 cup at night before going to sleep might help.
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Owned by goldens

Vomitting

Have you recently changed foods? A few years back I tried feeding my two dogs a Nutro food. After a few weeks they both began vomiting yellow bile on occasion. I contacted the company and was told to increase the amount of feedings. I did and the problem improved for a few weeks and then started again. The company was of no help this time saying something like give them more food. This seemed ridiculous to me as they were eating more than they were on their previous food. After both dogs started vomiting at the same time everyday I went back to their old food and the vomiting stopped.
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM

Oh, Boo got that at the beginning of his chicken intolerance too. Before, if he ate a bit, we got bile in the morning for about a week off and on. And if we continued with the chicken, he'd get diarrhea and vomitting (but that was only after about a month of feeding him chicken without knowing and I think he had just acquired his intolerance... )
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM

My dog is going through the same thing

Hurbare; did you find any help for your problem with your dog getting sick. My dog is a mixed breed and she is about 9yrs old and going through the same thing do you have any advice?
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheba will do that too. Suddenly, for no apparent reason she'll get sick - no particular time of day (or night), and some mornings she has diarhea too, which is a "pain" because she never tries to wake us to go outside, she just goes in the livingroom!
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:20 PM
-

It's the ammonia smell in the bile that bothers me. If it persists despite dietary changes or the ammonia smell persists, I would visit with your Vet and talk about your dog's liver and have his blood levels checked for ammonia.
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM

I know I already said it, but since it's a new question, I'll say it again...

Sometimes a small meal right before bed can help stop bile vomitting, or a diet change. I know a lot of dogs around here who've thrown up bile while on Nutro, so food can be a factor.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
-

I agree. My dogs also did this when I fed them Nutro. As soon as I changed to a better brand it stopped.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog vomiting

Nutro was the cause of my dogs vomiting. Both would vomit at almost the same time of day within minutes of each other. I switched them cold turkey to another food and the vomiting stopped.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

i have just tried a differant brand of food, chicken soup for dog lovers, all houlistac my 4 pins went crazy for it!!!! baby lexus is on puppy one loves-- it!! poop a little runny and farts are like humans lol, but thinks its great brenda and the 5- min pins.