Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Exclamation vomiting and grass

I have a question in the morning i put my 1 year greatdane/saint banard outside to use the rest room and everyday she goibng out and eats grass untill she pukes. She is eating her norm. (plus wants somemore =) but i have no clue what is wrong and don't have the cash for a vet visit unless it is serious. At one time about 4 months ago she had whip worm. Not sure if that might be the prob or not. Plus she is scratching alot and chewing at her back end (basiclly to the raw skin) I was gonna bath her and put some more flea treatment on her (advantage). If you can give me any advice i would apreicate it =)

Thanks
A concerned dog owner
Cassandra Watkins
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

under search, type dog eating grass and plenty of threads will pop up with the answers you're looking for.
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Ok, the grass I would not be concerned with. My 3 Golden girls go outside and they look like grazing cows! There is something in it that they like. Although, they normally do not puke it up after, I only find it in their poop.

The itching and raw skin I would be concerned with. Sounds like an allergy to food or environment. The other problem may be that the dogs anal glands are bothering it. Do you ever smell a gawd awful fishy smell? If so, its the anal glands. I have to have one of my girls expressed every couple months.

Good luck!
Heather
Old March 12th, 2012, 08:25 PM

Dogs eating grass

We have a nine year old Minpin, who recently had a bad bout of pancreitis. She was treated for over a month, and made a good recovery. She is not as active as she was before she got sick, but almost 90% of her previous energy. She sleeps a lot, and we changed her food to Medical upon the advice of our Vet. Today she was acting strangely, my husband found her trying to eat an artifical plant in our living room, when he stopped her, she tried to eat a ribbon I was using to wrap gifts. We let her out in the garden, and she was eating grass almost as though she was manic. She has only eaten grass once in a while, and never like this. When she came back in, she went into our family room and went to bed. When I went to check on her, there was a hugh pile of grass she had regurgitated, no yellow bile, just the damp grass. I have never seen this before, and we are worried. What would make her act strangly like this?
Old March 13th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laganlady View Post
We have a nine year old Minpin, who recently had a bad bout of pancreitis. She was treated for over a month, and made a good recovery. She is not as active as she was before she got sick, but almost 90% of her previous energy. She sleeps a lot, and we changed her food to Medical upon the advice of our Vet. Today she was acting strangely, my husband found her trying to eat an artifical plant in our living room, when he stopped her, she tried to eat a ribbon I was using to wrap gifts. We let her out in the garden, and she was eating grass almost as though she was manic. She has only eaten grass once in a while, and never like this. When she came back in, she went into our family room and went to bed. When I went to check on her, there was a hugh pile of grass she had regurgitated, no yellow bile, just the damp grass. I have never seen this before, and we are worried. What would make her act strangly like this?
Hi laganlady

Eating grass, I would not be too concerned about. Dogs eat grass when they have an upset tummy, it's normal. And the throwing it up after is normal as well. I just lost one of my babies a little over a week ago, he was 12. He has done that since he was a baby. But if she has never done that before, combined with the lethargy and trying to eat everything in sight, that's what would concern me. If she were my dog, I'd be getting her to the vet asap, especially since she has recently recovered from Pancreatitis. When dogs start doing things that are "out of the norm". it's a good indication there is a medical problem. Good luck and please let us know how she is doing

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto to all the above and I'd like to add that you should be cautious with the flea treatment. Basically it's poison for fleas and too much can hurt your dog. Some dogs are hurt by what is a normal amount for other dogs. Have you checked for fleas with a flea comb? Do you see bites or frass (flea poop) on her tummy or other thinly haired spots? Especially if you have recently given flea treatment do not attempt to give it again too soon. I'd Vet too, if it was my dog.
Old March 13th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Ditto to all the above and I'd like to add that you should be cautious with the flea treatment. Basically it's poison for fleas and too much can hurt your dog. Some dogs are hurt by what is a normal amount for other dogs. Have you checked for fleas with a flea comb? Do you see bites or frass (flea poop) on her tummy or other thinly haired spots? Especially if you have recently given flea treatment do not attempt to give it again too soon. I'd Vet too, if it was my dog.

Longblades, Nanook is one of those dogs. He can't have any of those treatments. They cause diarrhea and, sometimes seizures, in him. Anything used on him now is through our Holistic vet which includes Chinese herbs, homeopathics etc. I was truly amazed at how effective that stuff is on certain animals. We are lucky that Nookie is one that responds very well to natural treatments.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012